Guns

GPIG

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:48 am

Can't argue with you on this one Lynx. The video's I saw with audio are indeed that of an fully automatic AR - I would recognize that staccato in my sleep. And those weren't any old run of the mill high cap mags the shooter was using, they were 100 round drums. We don't need law enforcement to tell us what we can hear. It is what it is, a terrible tragedy.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 am

One of the performers, Caleb Keeter, put out this statement:
I’ve been a proponent of the 2nd amendment my entire life.

Until the events of last night. I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with CHL licenses, and legal firearms on the bus.

They were useless.
Whole statement:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Here is Jimmy Kimmel's heart felt monologue on this tragedy. He is one of my heroes for speaking so eloquently and clearly.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:35 pm

That was good. He got some of his statistics here, I think.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/22/key-takeaway ... n-ownership/

It's hard to look at those statistics & not realize that the NRA is throwing money at Republican congresspeople who then vote accordingly. All that money corrupts.

GPIG, I had a feeling you'd be able to give info about the guns, but didn't realize you could identify so much just by sound. I guess when it's involved with survival, your senses become acute. But most of the people there didn't know what they were hearing. I wouldn't have.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:09 am

Bookfan, Sound - yes, it's a very distinct sound, some are harder than others but that's an easy one - it usually meant friendlys were nearby, not anymore. If it's reported to be anything else (at least the 2 videos I saw/heard) they're lying.

I'm really not keeping up with it, so much becomes hyperbole which I believe is part (part, not all by any means) of the problem, What worries me most is there is someone out there watching, rubbing his hands together and thinking to himself; he's going to be the one to break the record, he'll show everyone he was wronged somehow.

Terrible times and yes I agree with you about the NRA. I don't know what the solution but the NRA is a terrible, unethical, ignorant organization, in my opinion.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:59 am

Trying not to watch news but... Had tv on like usual for background noise but there was a press conference pulling at my attention and a local cop type, sheriff I think, saying "we must assume he had help" Isn't that an irresponsible thing to say at this time? I think it insinuates some type of terrorism. Maybe there was but at this time I don't think anyone should assume and broadcast it.

Let's not take away responsibility from where it belongs, at least be honest about what happened and how it happened.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 am

Actually, GPIG, I've watched most of the news conferences, and thought the sheriff did a good job in presenting. He's shut down any speculation, has answered concisely and factually when he could, and refused to when he couldn't. I'd give him a higher than average grade in press conferency.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm

"rubbing his hands together and thinking to himself; he's going to be the one to break the record"
That was one of the Sandy Hook shooter's motives, I think. Or maybe one of the others.

My beef with coverage & politicians' statements - the shooter was "mentally ill". Well, yeah, the shooter was really messed up in one way or another. But these statements stigmatize the mentally ill who are statistically *less likely* to commit a violent act than a non mentally ill person and more likely to be a victim of violence.

This is not meant to take away from the horror of the shooter's act.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Ya know bpatters I heard someone on the radio I respect (please please please don't think a Rush Limbaugh or Hanratty, I hate those guys, I would never listen, not even for background noise) say the same thing, gave him very high marks for being candid and honest. I thought then maybe I just caught a section I took out of context.

I agree Bookfan. I also think the scum going on these murder rampages are making sane choices, i.e. the planning even if that may seem insane to many. Also think mentally ill people, when it comes to violence, are more likely to harm themselves or be harmed. Bad rap, but that' the one sides scapegoat. I think this guy also passed the so called mental illness background check. Not positive but I think I heard that.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:31 pm

There did not appear to be any red flags when he was sold guns.

However, the fact that there was no way to flag him for so many purchases in a short time, and all that ammunition, is a huge problem. Rather than mentally ill, he may be what I think of as "wrong thinking". Believing things that aren't true. And apparently, a total lack of empathy, of love for one's fellow humans.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:43 pm

The whole Las Vegas incident makes me sick to my stomach. I feel so bad for everyone involved. I hope the USA can get a grip on wtf is happening to its country.
The 2nd Amendment is exactly what the word means, it can be amended to make your world a safer place.

From a concerned neighbour living above you all, I wish you all the best of luck & hope the situation gets better.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm

I hope it gets better too. ASAP

GPIG

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 pm

"a total lack of empathy, of love for one's fellow humans" Yes I think so too Lynx. What I keep trying to explain to myself though is where is it coming from? Whatever the arguments for or against guns, I don't have a position anymore. I would just like to know where this incredible hate comes from.

I wonder to myself if maybe it hasn't increased but rather just looks different depending on where you are. I think of the Nazi's, and the killing, torture and treatment of Jews, or anyone different so many years ago. Not that it makes it better but it is, however pathetic, a reason.

Present day we also have the killings, mutilations, stonings, crucifixions I saw in the Middle East and other places, it's not new or old, just different I- sometimes under the name of religion

But these shootings! Is it self heating? If it is, why not just kill themselves?

I go on and on trying to figure it out but I can't come up with an answer as to where the hate comes from.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:46 pm

An excellent commentary from Cracked News:

rpaws

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Shooting at a church in Texas. 30 dead.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:23 pm

It never stops. I read 26 dead - but the loss of anyone is a tragedy.

lisam

Post   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Oh don't worry. Republicans will send their "thoughts and prayers".

What a mess.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:48 am

They are receiving a lot of criticism for only sending "thoughts and prayers". A Virginia dem state house candidate ran on gun reform and won in a Republican district. His girlfriend was shot on live tv. I think people are fed up with the NRA buying off politicians and preventing even the most sensible changes to be accomplished.

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/boyfriend-slain-tv-journalist-elected-virginia-statehouse-n818816

rpaws

Post   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

Shooting in California. 5 reported dead. Trump tweeted condolences on the 'wrong' (Texas) shooting. Sure will get 'thoughts and prayers though.'

299 posts