Guns

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:01 pm

I am very cynically enjoying the petition to allow guns into the Republican convention in Cincinnati. How funny that guns make us safer, except when the people in power (who push guns at ordinary citizens and force them to deal with gun violence in schools, churches, malls, libraries...) don't want guns at their precious gun-stoking convention!

piggypie

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Ha ha! That is amusing!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:46 am

That is just plain old common sense.

A firearm is like any other powerful tool that can be used as a weapon. Do not repeat DO NOT pick it up in an environment where emotions are likely to run high!

Bars, frat parties, and Republican conventions are a few places I can think of where folks could easily lose their temper and misuse a firearm (or anything else).

Go to the range and practice on a Hillary target if you are so inclined. (I don't know if they have those but I'm betting they do.) Get it out of your system that way.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Yes Talishan, but of course us gun advocates have no common sense:) Anti gun people proably aren't aware just how many places it is illeagal to carry guns in carry states. But It’s pointless to list.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed May 18, 2016 8:13 pm

I am obviously pro-gun, but what i saw today sickens me. The gun used to kill Tayvon Martin was sold at auction for $120,000.

Now I could say one sick person bought it, that would be true, but there had to be a whole lot of sick people bidding on it to drive it up to that price. Sick and racist, I'm afraid.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed May 18, 2016 8:52 pm

That is really crappy. I have some respect for the first place he tried to sell it (they removed it and he had to go elsewhere).

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed May 18, 2016 9:11 pm

I didn't know that Lynx. I'm glad to hear someone had some sense. I really hope someone figures out who the purchaser is and will release name of purchaser.

My mission, I'm going to try to find out. Wish me luck.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed May 18, 2016 9:36 pm

One of the optimistic things I heard was that perhaps someone was going to buy the gun and perhaps melt it down to use as a memorial, or raise funds for the family. Bottom line - to buy it and transform it into something good. . .

One can only hope.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed May 18, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm beginning to smell a rat. Now I'm reading it sold for $140,000 and that there were 2 auctions, one for trolls and one for serious bidders and all info has bene deleted and only Zimmerman is in contact with bidders. All kinds of inconsistencies

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Good luck, Erin.

This sort of thing only hurts law-abiding, careful gun owners. I'm a little surprised the second auctioneer let him list it. Good luck in digging into it.

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 pm

I agree Talishan. I’m doing my best Sherlock Holmes, (forgive me if I can't say Nancy Drew) I don't want to throw out a lot of preliminary information that may be accurate or not. However, to what I wrote above, i believe the price being reported to be at least highly inflated, and I think it possible the pistol has not been sold at this time.

I've formed a hypothesis presently supported by what I believe to be a little bit of fact. In fairness though, it is mostly intuition. He has been ordered to surrender his guns more than once. I have my brother helping me out on these items; if is he is a convicted felon for any of his numerous other charges or is presently under indictment for a felony, it’s highly unlikely the gun is in his possession, in fact it would be illegal.

If the gun were in the possession and being sold by a gun store or private FFL or the like, he believes it would be sale by proxy and given the circumstances, namely felony indictment or conviction, it would be considered a straw sale which would also be illegal. I have no idea about those things but I know the Senator will have an answer for me soon.

I’ve been emailing back and forth with a reporter from the Herald also.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat May 21, 2016 7:06 am

Wow Erin. You're pretty impressive when you're on the hunt. Actually you're a pretty impressive young lady all around.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 21, 2016 5:17 pm

Ditto!!!

Please keep us posted on what you learn.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat May 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Yes, Erinspigs is impressive for sure.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sat May 21, 2016 10:57 pm

Thank you all, that's very nice of you. As I've said before, it means a lot to me because I have so much respect and admiration for you.

Haven't had much chance to work on the big scoop today but I'm about to read and answer some email on it.

bats

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Love this.

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes!!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:11 pm

Yes, I read it last year. I loved it then and still love it:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2221021#2221021

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 am

Echoing Talishan at top of page...people can misuse a weapon, use any tool as a weapon, even ones own hands. It is what is within a person's innermost being that is the root. Until that is "fixed", having anything around that can serve as a weapon is risky. Especially those that work especially well as expeditious multi-round devices.

I saw this posted earlier and shows how easily numbers of items can be hidden. Very scary. https://www.facebook.com/LeviLChambers/videos/vb.1630606277189328/1716651315251490/?type=2&theater

The thing is, we can do background checks, interviews, psychological profiles, body pat-downs, xrays...and these do help and should still be done, because unfortunately we are surrounded by more neighbors these days who are acting out violently. While background checks may detect at-risk types or those who have a history of violence, they do not necessarily detect the first offenders, who are often the ones performing these acts. So the easiest way to curb the number of deaths resulting from violence it to make weapons inaccessible, while actively growing programs that will assess and work with folks who have mental illness or other concerning behavioural/conduct issues.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:17 am

Perfect, bats! Terrific analogy.

294 posts