Guns

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:15 pm

D&T, what people can't with their hands is mow down 50 people at a time. They can't do it with a single shot rifle, or a double barreled shotgun, or a non-automatic pistol. Those guns should be enough to satisfy any gun owner in the US, with the possible exception of those people who hunt large game, and I'm not sure I'm willing to grant them that exception.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Yes, true bpatters (part of my comment). I'm with you on not being sure I'd want to grant certain weapons to the large game hunters, too (but because I'm anti-hunting :) I come from a family with 1/4 of them as hunters. bleh bleh bleh).

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:59 pm

A friend shared this today

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:25 am

I saw an interesting tweet yesterday--It said something about not letting civilians have nuclear weapons--the analogy being that they shouldn't have assault rifles, either.

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:17 pm

hmm...that's interesting, Jane.

Erinspigs

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:30 pm

If you appreciate engineering design, look at that photo, the Black Rifle has the most beautiful lines.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 pm

You could say the same about the B2 Spirit.

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Erinspigs, as much as I have posted (which isn't too much) on guns in hands of those who don't use them properly, I've actually spent some time target shooting so know the sport that it can be. Back in junior high I received a marksmanship certificate (nothing truly official) and later Dad and I just shot targets for the fun of it. It can be fun, but I'd be the first to die if sent to war because I wouldn't shoot anyone :)

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:51 pm

D&T you might be surprised how motivated you might be, when being shot at!

I got to walk on the field at Fenway. A lot of history in that park. Thank you for the info also, very good, I forgot how much I love Boston.

daveandtiff

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:21 am

Hey GPIG, welcome back! Hope you both had a nice time. That was a quick visit, huh? Neat that you were able to walk on the field...they gave you a historical tour then? Dave has done this at the Yankees stadium (that's where he leans). Try sitting at Fenway between a guy with a Yankees cap, a couple friends with Red Sox logos, and a few surrounding individuals yelling profanities at guy with Yankees cap, all the while spilling beer periodically on the female who was miffed by their drunken foul language in front of children and sloppiness while holding a beverage...please, get a sippy cup! How annoying.... So Dad was in San Fran at the time. Durn. Would have been so cool if you had randomly bumped in. What did you end up doing besides the game?

Well, as far as being shot at, I've thought on this hundreds, even thousands of times. I have a greater desire for skipping from this realm to the next than some who will do anything to save themselves (moreso now am looking forward to being with my boys again who have passed), and also a strong distaste for killing anything/anyone. So while I could fight in other ways to save my life, blood of another on my hands is not worth rescuing myself. I'd rather die than kill.

And I've thought on this in terms of if my Mom, kids, others' lives are being threatened. It would be a very difficult situation. I would claw someone's eyes out, though (when I was working with children/babies, I actually had that primal instinct a couple of times when kids were being approached...stay away from my kids! ;)). I could shoot to debilitate, but killing is breaking a big law ethically/morally. Put into a position for protecting others' lives is where this would be the biggest challenge.

Shout out to Erinspigs - great party, fun time! Thanks for the invite. :P

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:54 pm

I understand your thinking D&T and I don't find anything strange about it. I think your beliefs are as legitimate as anyone else.

We had a very nice time. Fenway is beautiful, but the hotdogs were the worst I ever ate.

Hey Hey wait a minute about party! I know you're kidding but the house was a mess. I write how proud I am of them, well not today. Today they are irresponsible, sloppy and lazy kids when it comes to taking care of a house. I had to wake up the other one to pick us up from airport at 5pm

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:55 pm

I understand your thinking D&T and I don't find anything strange about it. I think your beliefs are as legitimate as anyone else.

We had a very nice time. Fenway is beautiful, but the hotdogs were the worst I ever ate.

Hey Hey wait a minute about party! I know you're kidding but the house was a mess. I write how proud I am of them, well not today. Today, they are irresponsible, sloppy and lazy kids when it comes to taking care of a house. I had to wake up the other one to pick us up from airport at 5pm

daveandtiff

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Oh, hmmm...was unnamed offspring perhaps baking you a very large and complicated cake? Or maybe spent the entire day painstakingly painting the ceilings with a fresh coat? Poor kid, must have been pretty tired. Not far off, is one very tired person (let's say, a person within my household :)) who tends to hit the 1:30p mark about every Sat/Sun (unless he needs to set his fantasy league line-ups earlier. Or unless there is a Paul McCartney special airing on tv.). I have had occasion to use a very helpful tool which I found one Halloween. A soft fabric Indiana Jones whip complete with sound effects. It has come in quite handy and has improved his performance by about 10%.

I'm glad you had such a nice time. Boston really is a multifaceted spot with a hometown feel so gives off its own energy for sure. Not sure if you had hit Harvard Square at any point, another spot worth visiting. If you ever visit this area again, you might even try a day trip to The Cape (there is one spot I would recommend that you and your wife would really love. It was recommended by my coworker and we ended up having our engagement photos taken there (will post one at the end). A short path takes you to a landing where you'll get about a 280deg view of sun setting. We'd actually watched a painter at one visit and bumped into a red fox surprisingly along the path at another visit (not much for woods along the path, so not sure where he came from). https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41565-d106738 ... husetts.html

There was a point when some renovations were to be done to Fenway, but I think a number of old fans nixed the idea, wanting to preserve the history. Similar to Wrigley Field, I believe. Good decisions. The Yankees mgmt (in the process of interfering with a children's park) erected quite the mammoth structure, with flat screen tv's lining walls and an increased ticket price. But they do serve edemames and other natural foods, as well as have a compost barrel next to the garbage and recycle barrels, so they redeemed themselves in these ways, I suppose. Dave was just complaining about a change with how they are requiring tickets to be bought/printed, but I think he'll get over it. Dad and he jab one another over their differing affiliations. I stay Switzerland. It's how I remain married. The players are all traded anyway.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 pm

D&T we were on one of those dinner cruises Saturday night as the sun set. The weather had been beautiful and the sunset was spectacular.

I love the history in Boston. My wife had one day of conferences on Friday so I did that freedom walk where you follow the bricks and stop at places like the old state house, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere's house and much more. It's a little less than 4 miles, I think. I stopped at every spot and viewed the exhibits or listened to history recreations. I love all that stuff.

I had one solemn event. I had promised a friend who died and was from Dorchester I would spread some of his ashes at Bunker Hill. I did, it was really nice to finally fulfill. I've had them for a few years now. He was a fierce Patriot and saw himself as a continuum of the framers in the cradle of liberty. He's safe at home now. He was also a huge Sox fan so I took a small handful and spread them on the warning track under the Green Monster. I knew he wouldn't mind the slight variation.

daveandtiff

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:18 pm

You really packed your visit in with rich experiences and really love that you were able to take your friend's ashes and spread them at Bunker Hill (and under the Green Monster :)).

I'm glad the weather turned out well for your visit to be able to enjoy the cruise and the game and all of the walking. Good stops along the way, too. Part of the stop was the old graveyard near and across from Park Street Church, no? I think there are some interesting names noted in those graveyards. That church brings back memories (a bunch of us career-aged folks at the time used to church-hop. We had a home base church, we just liked to get together with others from somewhat different denominations to discuss Scripture.

Was thinking of Erinspigs on one memory actually (we were on topic of self defense on another thread). I think it was pinta who was saying it's not those who follow behind a person, but those who wait in the wings, and was recommending keeping the senses free (no earbuds, etc) to be able to hear/see the surroundings well. Well, one night as I was walking back to my car from Park Street Church someone hopped over the Boston Public Garden fence to the sidewalk and approached me. My knee-jerk reaction was to hurry and walk into the street where it was lighted and populated, which worked, thankfully (avoided getting squished by a passing duck boat as well, minor miracle). Erinspigs has less to worry about, where she can just have you tag along with your pyrotechnics :)

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:55 pm

Yes the cemetery, some historic figures buried there, very interesting and sent a chill up my spine to see some of the names. The Commons, public gardens - so much happened there. The British mustered their troops, the well-regulated militia also drilled there. It's a history buffs dream couple of square miles.

I’m glad you got away, you did the correct things. Pinta is right about the sensory issues with the darn earbuds and phone in the ear at all times. EP is as bad as anyone her age with the electronic devices

The swan boats! My wife took a ride yesterday before we headed to airport. I would not go on one, I stood my ground but got photos of her on the boat. While I waited someone’s personal history unfolded in front of me. I watched a guy propose to a girl right in front of the dock for the boats. I took some phots and emailed them to the guy who like a gentleman got down on his knees and proposed. He had the champagne ready, the ring, it was well done.

Someone just sent me some statistics, this being the Guns thread I thought I would post them as one reason Congress may be reluctant to write new laws regarding guns: legal gun owners possess over 200 million guns and 17 trillion rounds of ammunition in our country. I think they may see the situation as futile as prohibition. Just a guess, not an opinion. I believe those numbers are pretty close to accurate.

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:47 am

Was under instruction to visit the cemetery from a historian-librarian friend, for photos to send. True, is very rich with history. Some of our own history (this is my 8th Great Grandfather https://www.masshist.org/bh/putnambio.html) There had once been a well put together historical museum/talk in the John Hancock Tower, showing what Boston's topography was prior to development...much of it was under water. I'm not sure if this session is still offered at the JH as they had closed off portions after 9/11.

You do the same, email photos to random folks of momentous events. That's really sweet...he sounds as though he did his proposal well. You dissed the swan boat? So the swan boats are the gondola-style rides within the garden, and the duck boats are the amphibious tour boat-buses. They are equally corny, but your wife sounds like she had fun with it.

That is a sad statistic on how many guns are in possession. I think of it not only from a safety perspective, but a psychological one. Why do we really need/want to have guns? For protection? Or for power? Hunting for food? Or as a hobby? Or for wrongdoing? Probably right, would be tough to make changes.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Oh right the duck boats; there are loads of them, everywhere. I've never seen those in a city before but I here they are very popular.

Erinspigs

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:13 pm

See how he's inching into the deabte DT, he can't help himself :)

294 posts