Guns

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Erinspigs and GPIG the two of you crack me up. ;-)

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Yup, Erinspigs...like Daughter, like Father ;) Hey, there you are...was wondering where you took off to :)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 am

Ditto jac (sitting here chuckling).

Many years ago I visited Boston & a friend who was a native took me on the Freedom Trail. Every time we came to a church, she'd say, what do you think that is? The Old North Church!! Nah. This kept on until we finally got there.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:42 am

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:19 pm

I love that guy and his chicken.

Such a good point!

Erinspigs

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:21 am

I went to see Drake and Future last night at Madison Square Garden. It was great but during one of the warmup acts a recording of real sounding gun shots was played in succession, as if there was a gun fight.

The initial expression on many people was panic. I was also scared and for a 10 -12 seconds was convinced they were real shots.

Very irresponsible. I don't know why anyone would do that, what type reaction could they be hoping for?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:06 pm

In this day and age, I sure agree with you. I imagine a lot of people are angry about that.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:45 pm

As much as I don’t want to post this, in the sake of fairness, I must. This happened in the town I love so much and where my Great Grandfather built our extended family home - Punta Gorda Isles Florida.

Unfortunately a 79 year old woman was shot to death in a class given by Punta Gorda Police Dept. on when and how to use deadly force, while she was simulating an attack on a poice officer.

I can't for the life of me understand why a 79 year old woman living in darn safe town is taking a class given by the Punta Gorda Police on when and how to use deadly force with a firearm. Why for the love of Pete were the police using real guns and "blank" ammunition which everyone knows is a recipe for trouble.

Why they were even involved in giving this class? This isn’t a public service. This is impossible for me get a grip on. It can’t happen, it can’t happen, but it happens, I can’t deny it.

It won’t change my position but these things keep reminding me how many stupid people have access to guns, and how many of them are cops. I know that’s terrible to say when a tragedy has occurred but man oh man. Below is the link

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/us/punta-gorda-police-academy-fatal-shooting/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:14 pm

I read about this too. A terrible, terrible tragedy. I feel badly for all involved.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:27 pm

One of my first reaction to your post Erin, is a fantasy that we include gun safety training in schools, just like driving safety. But of course we never will.

Then I remembered hearing recently that something like 54% of Americans couldn't pass the most basic Red Cross swimming test. 10 people die every day from drowning.

I know this thread is about guns, and we have another thread about mass shootings, but I'm reminded that there are so many public safety problems that could be resolved with EDUCATION, done properly.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:30 pm

I am NOT in favor of including gun safety in schools, jacqueline. What that will mainly do is introduce kids to guns who'd otherwise never see one.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:41 am

10 people die a day drowning? That is alarming Jacqueline and I should know that. I'm a lifeguard this summer and had no idea. It was important to my mother we know how to swim not long after we walked. We were so young I barely remember taking the lessons. I do remember the early cold summer mornings jumping in the pool, bet you remember that too Jacqueline. I think my mother probably had an idea of that drowning stat, she had a big fear of us drowning and insisted we could pass all those tests very early in life and be near any pool or body of water unsupervised, to a point I guess.

In my school we did spend time in Health class with a sort of gun safety program. Pretty much guns are bad, leave them alone, and don’t pick them up. You get the picture.

However, I have to admit there were some good things taught also. I was taught gun safety early in life (probably around the time I had swimming lessons!!), many kids had no idea. Some things they were teaching would have been useful. It was only for about a week, maybe 2, that I recall. I think that is pretty common now a days.

bpatters, I'm not being flippant here so I hope it doesn’t sound that way, genuine question; do you believe there should be drug education in school. If so wouldn't that be the same concept? I don't know if I agree or disagree, I remember my older uncle telling us how in the 70s they showed these psychedelic movies like being in a kaleidoscope with the message don't do drugs. He claims they only made him want to do try drugs, so maybe..

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 am

I do believe there should be drug education in school.

But drugs are much more available, and get pushed on kids in a way that guns don't.

I think anyone who buys/owns a gun should be required to take safety classes in its use.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 pm

I just filled the car up with gas didn't notice I spilled some on my sleeve, going down the road I lit a cig and my sleeve burst into flames, so I let down the window and stuck my arm out to try and blow out the flames and the damn cops stopped me and are now arresting me for having a fire arm without a license ....

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Groan.....

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:21 pm

I don't smoke and we're not allowed to fill our own gas but it was a little funny............... just a wee bit?

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Ha!!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 13, 2017 10:42 am

Resurrecting this. A great letter from the second cousin of the new head of the NRA:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/opinion/guest-columnists/t ... nra-20170512

GPIG

Post   » Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm confused about the article. THe author can't reconcile there are compassionate, interesting, sensitive and ethical people who believe it's ok to own guns? I don't support the NRA but I have friends who do. I can understand without having to ask them for an explanation why they support the NRA.

Not taking a position on guns in general.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 13, 2017 10:06 pm

I believe there are compassionate, interesting, sensitive and ethical people who believe it's ok to own guns - but not everyone, and not without common sense gun laws.

I know some of them. These people don't belong to the NRA.

I think the NRA could be a decent organization but it chose a different path.

299 posts