Misc posts on topical issues

GPIG

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Thank you Lynx and Bookfan. Lynx, I do know my families concern comes from a place of love and it is indeed a good feeling. My wife has been talking to me for the last couple days and has allowed my feelings of selfishness to diminish.

I think being bored with career, not life, causes me to want to go back into these type situations. I really don't know much for a career in regualr society. Oh seem to be able to run a small business ok and I was able to increase our profitabliity and everyone is maing a sustainable living, our emplyees too. That has always been important to me. I felt I had to make enough money to pay even our gas pumpers $15 and hour, way before all the talk of rasinig minimum wage.

Anyway I did have an idea Friday and made some calls. Picatinay Arsenal, a viable and important development aresnal is only 30 minutes from my house. There is a possibility of some per diem work where my knowledge and experince would be benefial, i hope. We shall see. Sorry for being wishy washy, back and forth, but I've been confused about trhe rest of my life. Maybe I can put the brakes on and sort it out some. Thanks youa ll so much for your genuine convern, it means a lot to me

GPIG

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Again, so sorry for my pathetic spelling, for some reason I can't get spell check to work when I'm on GL at our shop

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:45 pm

I hope you can find something interesting to do there. And I'm glad you are home.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm

I have always thought of GL as a safe place, I'll never forget being alone when our original gpig was dying and I reached out here for support. Lynx, bpatteres, and others gently helped me to help gpig pass peacefully. We have shared political views, agreed and disagreed but always remain supportive of one another. In that light I would just like to add something here since gpig (the person) seems to absorb more when reading (that's not a dig)

Some things that rjespicer wrote (3 times referenced now rjespicer, you may get the title of seer soon) are absolutely true. GPIG does do what he does because he knows how, he is motivated by a desire to protect, to save others being abused, to fight injustice, and he does feel it his duty because he is capable. We all admire that. We don't question his motivation, we don't question his love for his family or his desire to take care of us. He has taken care of quite a few family which I won't detail. Selfish, he is not.

Those things said, we worry about his mental and physical health. We know by his own words he barely sleeps because sleeping for too long will bring traumatic visions. We imagine the amount of time he spent in the service alone caused great trauma. He had what is considered a rather insane amount of tours. Yet he seems to have the ability to suppress traumatic stress. However, the way he suppresses these things have not always been healthy. Granted they are not as unhealthy as they once were but still we wonder. We desire many more years with our father, brother, husband, and friend. If anyone has earned some peaceful time, it is gpig.

We worry about his physical well being. It is true he is in amazing physical shape. Yet I also catch glimpses of him getting up some times after laying down. It is obvious there is great pain. He has been shot more than once, lived through 2 helicopter crashes that others didn't live through, there is the occasional piece of metal (shrapnel) that comes to the surface of his skin and is pushed out, broken bones and scars too numerous to count.

I don't write this to have a story of hyperbole, Gpig is the real thing - he doesn't need my defending or affirmation. Yet with all he has seen and done he is at ease being flippant and funny, self depreciating, a fantastic campfire storyteller with a trace of gypsy blood in him. He is an American original. We feel he has done enough. This is not about him being selfish as he first took it. To the contrary, this is about us wanting him to be more selfish and take care of himself. It is us wanting to be selfish, we want him for ourselves now.

Forget what happened yesterday, I know that better things are on the way, living like you've just begun, accept your life and what it brings.... I hope tomorrow you'll find better things, I know tomorrow you'll find better things

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 am

GPIG is lucky to have a daughter like you and a family that loves him.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 am

^^ What she said.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:30 pm

"It is us wanting to be selfish, we want him for ourselves now." Exactly. And all very well expressed, erinspigs.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 pm

Thank you one and all. E how proud I am of you. I am eternally grateful to your mother.

I've read what you wrote many times. There is one thing that stands out and makes me feel perhaps I've done ok. To be called an American original gave me goose bumps.

I have fought most of my life for America because it is a place that allows people to be what they want to be. It is not perfect but we have the tools to try to make it better. Some just complain, and that's ok the very fist amendment encourages them to do so. Some demonstrate against injustice or what they perceive as injustice, right or wrong, our constitution encourages them to do so. These things encourage debate which hopefully brings positive change.

My journey has been was different, not better just different. I chose other means of exercising freedom, because from childhood certain family identified me as someone with the ability to do the things I would go on to do. I know of many men who chose the same course I did and some turned evil, violent or shattered. Some are fine.

To be told I've lived in a way that makes me an American original is pretty satisfying. To have seen so many people crammed into our house the other day, to have my wonderful daughter tell me I'm funny and a good storyteller makes me think maybe I am an ok guy.

I wish i could promise for all time I will never put myself in harms way again but you know I can't do that. I can promise I will not go to dangerous places for money or adventure but if my country were to ask me to do something important based on my skill sets you know I have to, it is how I am wired. It doesn't take a way from my love of all of you.That said I'm not that important so no worries.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:48 am

I think story telling is vastly underrated. It is part of what makes us human and connects us to each other. Books, tv, film, radio - there are many story tellers. I choose carefully who I want to listen to.

Perhaps you could do more story telling.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Lynx, We'll grab a Haggis, bottle of Drambuie and make for the Scottish Bogs. We'll start a bonfire (using peat of course), recite some Robert Burns and have some original story telling - all are invited!

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:15 pm

Good old Bobby B. ;)

Say, have you given any thought to writing?

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Yup, gypsy, doesn't care where he's headed. :) I wasn't making up the part about gypsy blood, there is some part of old Bohemia in the former Czechoslovakia where some of our distant relatives came from. I wasn't disparaging either. I spent time in Auschwitz, especially the Birkenau section devoted to the Gypsys, because that was a stretch of a connection I could make.

So... sometimes I think every few months we see him getting antsy to go somewhere, anywhere far away, perhaps that's it. Gypsy wandering. Maybe we should get a caravan to take to those Scottish Bogs

In any event, all's well that ends well, we hope. Thank you to everyone here for their support and gentle common sense. For some reason he relates, respects, and believes people who love animals are honest and well meaning. I don't disagree. \\

Back to homework - anyone know have a succinct summary of most recent quantified advancements for telemetry data transfers in regards to AI processing? Me neither

GPIG

Post   » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:50 am

I wish I could write Sef, I have so many thoughts I think might make for good reading but unfortunately I'm a terrible writer.

I wouldn't want to write the shoot em up, we were surrounded from the inside about to be overrun when out of the sky came a miracle.. type thing. It has been so overdone. I have thoughts on some very different type things but who knows

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Okay - I am just throwing this up. It turned up in a comment regarding Biden not feeling like marijuana should be legalized (I think).

Just in case you need to review the dangers...

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 pm

EP regarding "anyone know have a succinct summary of most recent quantified advancements for telemetry data transfers in regards to AI processing?"

Not really my field of field of expertise and I am not sure which specific field this is in relation to but I have been to a few Trade Shows for these guys https://www.telemetry.org/ in the past so I will have a (potentially ill informed) stab at it, in general terms.
1) Higher rate/bandwidth data streams allowing faster data acquisition and increased granularity of data with lower latency/transmission delay and/or data loss
2) Improvements in processing speeds allowing AI to respond to and interpret incoming data quicker and analyse potential issues and deviations in (almost) real time and provide more responsive corrective action based on that analysis.
3) Post event review of collected data in order to replay scenarios and explore possible alternative responses to future deviations from plan, including potentially being able to translate that data into a VR Model allowing for more detailed analysis.

Pretty broad strokes I know but in short there is little benefit in being able to collect data faster than you can process it or process data faster than you can collect it.

In order for AI to be able to effectively use the data it gets to perform corrections, if required, the receive and transmit delay needs to be as low as possible. Too much delay in the feedback loop leads to AI responding to conditions that may have already been corrected or that were transient in nature. I believe this , or something similar to it was what caused issues with the Boeing 737 MAX. It also present issues where there is also manual control and the AI has tried to correct an issue that the pilot has already corrected resulting in over correction which then also needs to be corrected.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/how ... 1f6d65f4c27e

Not sure if that is what you were looking for but it taxed a few of my brain cells that haven't seen use in a few years ;)

255 posts