Misc posts on topical issues

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Just received this from my Dad I forward it to you all:

Well it's almost 4:30 am here. I've picked a good team of guys, and... wait for it... a young woman for the first time!

For a long time I have been hoping and hoping a woman would make it though the training, become qualified, and step up. And step up she has. She reminds me so much of you with her quiet competitiveness, she beats the "boys" at lots of stuff. Excellent with maps, can shoot like Gunny Hathcock. I call her Annie Oakley but no one knows who that was, all the better. She is a local with passion for all of the wildlife. Loves to hear me tell about the types of animals we have in the Swamp. Fascinated with the Fisher Cats for some reason

That is the big news. Like I said happy with the teams and so much progress has been made. Many of the drill guys are are rotating out and new ones coming in. I will be helping them some. Very busy. I'll keep focused, make sure I eat, no promises about sleep:) except I will try.

Say hi to all at the shop and just let everyone know I'm good to go, all is well. Love to you.................

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Glad you heard from him! And nice of you to pass it on to us.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:28 am

Yes, thank you for keeping us informed. I do worry about you and your family, especially your dad.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Thank you and I will keep you informed. he'll be ok. That's just the way we have to deal with it all. He's never going to stop, we know that, so whatever happens we know it's what he has to do.

I'm a hippy music lover and there is a beautiful old song with some of the most beautiful lyrics called I wasn't Born to Follow. I listen to that song, and the lyrics are especially appropriate towards his life I think. I know it's how he has to be we just try not to worry

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 pm

My father had to call off my Mom's trip to visit to see the Great Migration due to safety concerns. My father found a personal note written to him. He won't say what it said other than it's not safe for others to be there.

When I had been there I remember hearing they felt the organized poaching was coming into the country from the Somalia border. It doesn't take a lot of digging to find the problem group in Somalia is (I'm going to intentionally spell this incorrectly) al shabobby. I'm not going to say a lot I think I know now why gpig din't want photos of the area posted.

We support him, we always knew we probably didn't know everything and we most likely don't know much. I'm sure it has to be that way. I doubt there will be any updates with specifics until he's back.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

"I call her Annie Oakley but no one knows who that was" - funny

I had picked up on the element of secrecy involved & the potential danger of the operation is obvious. I figured there was a reason why your dad was being somewhat vague about locale. The article confirms this. There are never guarantees, but as you are obviously aware, your dad knows how to take care of himself. I wish him as much safety as possible.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

Big ditto from us all (as much safety as possible!).

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 pm

I think you hit it Bookfan. For lack of a better word it is funny to me how he can be a bumbling softee who loses glasses constantly. Yet, sometimes things hit me where I say to myself, that son of gun, he knows what he's doing. 'I'm good in the woods" is all he allows as an accolade to himself, nothing more.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Now this is what I call Justice: Lions Eat Poachers:

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001286877/lions-eat-rhino-poachers-at-game-reserve

"An anti-poaching team arrived on the scene" - go get em!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 pm

It does indeed sound like they got justice!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Yeah, I found that sort of, well, satisfying.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm returning to school tomorrow, I was excited but we heard from gpig this afternoon. He rarely calls for long but he din't want to get of the phone this time. He doesn't sound himself, he seems nervous, uncomfortable with something. It's troubling, we all could hear it.

He wouldn't' speak of what was going on and we know not to press it. He only wanted to hear of the small things that go on in the small town area where we live, and of course every detail about his dog. Of course we had to put her up to the phone. You wouldn't think she would know the voice over a satellite phone but darned if she didn't start whining, squirming and then barking at phone.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Hope he's back safely soon.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you Lynx we do too. Unfortunately that's probably not going to happen, him being home soon. When he gets committed to something there is no changing course. He knew going in this one would be long, he didn't take ti lightly, he thought long and hard.

We only hope and pray that when this part does end if he continues it is in an administrative/organization capacity rather than what he's doing.

I once overheard his best friend Commo speaking with him late at night pleading with him to stop running (not running away, they call what they did running) that eventually it will end badly for everyone.

We're scared this time

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:23 am

And the bombshell my Mom dropped the other day, you're old enough to know this: you're father would never lie to us, he will do what he told us he's going to do but that doesn't mean he's not involved in something else also, you have to understand that, it's part of who he is and what he's good at.

What the #@$%^#$ So you mean the guys who occasionally come to see him wearing the same bad black suits and no smiles aren't his accountants?

And I'm suppose to be able to concentrate on my studies? Ill put an end to all of this no matter what I have to do, he's not a young guy, not old but not young either.

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:17 am

Sounds like your Dad has a similar background to my Uncle.

It also sounds like he is still committed to making a difference. Good for him!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Sound stressful, Erinpigs. I'm sending stay-safe vibes.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Ditto Bookfan.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 pm

And maybe I'm being paranoid or have read too many thrillers, but your middle sentence, in addition to making me laugh, leads me to certain trains of thought. Probably wrong ones. But this thread is totally public - you don't need to sign in to read it.

If I'm being stupid, just ignore it. My daughter says about me, if you ever want to know the worst that can happen, just ask Mom.

146 posts