Misc posts on topical issues

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Oh, I should have said auto and home insurance.

Hey, I'm on Medicare!

lisam

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Lynx, not that it matters, but Powell's Books is in Oregon, not Washington.

I've been to the one in Portland. It's the biggest seller of used books around! It takes up an entire city block.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Is the book Night by Elie Wiesel Fiction or NonFiction. Its said to be nonfiction and that's what I believe but recently someone pointed me to some sites saying he is not who he says he is and that he wasn't in a concentration camp.

Could what they are saying be revisionist history? I can't believe it's not true, going to dig to see what I can find. Anyone familiar with this story or non story?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:19 pm

http://www.today.com/id/10896258/ns/today-today_books/t/more ... .VdJBlvlViko

http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/books/article/Amazon-recategorizes-Elie-Wiesel-s-Night-as-1192963.php

Sounds like it got misclassified somewhere, and the sellers are making changes to be sure it's classified as nonfiction.

piggypie

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm

It was mentioned in a book I'm reading. Extraordinary Evil: A Brief History of Genocide mentions Night as a book the author picked up in the 70s and sparked her interest in learning more about how genocides happen.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks for the correction, Lisam.

I'm sure Powell's books would have been horrified :-)

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:29 pm

Going back to the first page, here is what Ken Burns has to say about the Civil War.

Of course, the motives of *individuals* and personal stories may or may not coincide with the official political statements, articles of secession, etc. But as Burns points out, the issue of slavery was kicked down the road when our nation was formed, and it didn't resolve itself. It still hasn't resolved itself.

The for-profit prison system (much like the "chain gangs" of yore) is still slavery. Overwhelmingly people of color are caught up in the justice system and there is a structural cultural bias that puts them there. They're building your office furniture (or your expensive panties, if you watch Orange is the New Black) for pennies on the dollar (more like fractions of pennies on the dollar).

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

My library has "Night" classified as:

940.5318 W651N

which is non-fiction. I was just entering it on my Goodreads list and the fiction/non-fiction thought crossed my mind, cause I thought I'd seen it in the fiction section. But even if it had been fiction inspired by real experiences, it doesn't mean Elie Wiesel didn't experience those things.

Erinspigs -
Anyone who says he isn't what he says he is & wasn't in a concentration camp sounds like a holocaust denier to me. Sounds like they have an "agenda"

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:53 am

sf - interesting article by Ken Burns.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Lynx, congratulations on Medicare. It sure takes some of the strain off.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23 pm

I think so too! I signed up for a "pay all" plan. Actually has come in handy.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:57 am

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks, sf. I'm geeking out with my morning joe.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 pm

That is interesting. So much info available for analysis!

I will still never understand it.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:02 am

It is really disturbing, but facts are helpful if you want to fight ignorance, bigotry and prejudice.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:49 am

This is a pretty horrifying look at the Patriot Act and how it could be used to seize the assets of protesters:

https://www.aclu.org/how-usa-patriot-act-redefines-domestic-terrorism

"The definition of domestic terrorism is broad enough to encompass the activities of several prominent activist campaigns and organizations. Greenpeace, Operation Rescue, Vieques Island and WTO protesters and the Environmental Liberation Front have all recently engaged in activities that could subject them to being investigated as engaging in domestic terrorism. "

Seizing assets without a conviction - man, this is so unfair! There have been numerous instances of its misuse by police departments.

The ACLU would like the classification of a domestic terrorist to be redefined.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 pm

I’ve landed a contract position that will take me to Kenya in the next couple of years. 3 months this year beginning in August, 2 trips of 3 months next year, then 2 months 3 times year after.

Through a security company I’ve done work for, I will be going with 4 other people to assist in the training of some field techniques and training in the use of new equipment the government is receiving to aide in the capturing, or otherwise, of poachers.

Apparently, several large companies have recently contributed some large amounts of money to prevent poaching of elephants and the government is serious about stopping it, as well as the graft and corruption in government that has plagued prior efforts – I hope so.

It will have its difficulties but It feels like the best thing I have ever done. It feels like a chance to make it all right and worthwhile, a real chance to do something, to maybe make a difference.

The being away stinks but next year around the second trip my family and I are going to arrange about a month long vacation in Africa. Africa, the most beautiful place in the world. I will send photos for sure.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:03 am

That's a great opportunity, GPIG. We'll want to hear all about it, and will look forward to the pictures.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:28 am

That does sound cool.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 am

81 posts