Misc posts on topical issues

GPIG

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:31 am

What I used to find fascinating was how many of the remote drones were being piloted by someone 6,000 miles away. I can only imagine what will be happening in the near future.

here's miscellaneous - our little Dachshund turned 11 the other day and over the years I admit I have spoiled her immensely but this morning I was confronted with just how much I've spoiled her. We were sitting around the tree, eating some food and she decided she wanted some and began barking, then she up and attacked presents under the tree ripping the paper, barking, angry at me! I tried to calm her down but she was really in a mode like I've never seen.

Jealous, attention seeking, she kept barking and attacking presents. I had to put her in another room on a couch and close the door for about 5 minutes. Well I went to let her out and she came running out, jumped up on the couch where my wife was sitting, hiding behind my wife, peeking out at me with stink eye like I've never seen. It was hysterical but kind of upsetting because I've never seen her that upset, and it was ll directed at me.

It's funny though how I spend all the time with her, walk her several times a day, feed her, sit with her when watching TV but the person she hid behind is the nurturing one. I could tell she knew that, her Mom would protect her from mean old gpig putting her back in the room for time out!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:09 am

My son has a couple dogs. He says one experiences guilt over actions and will hide. One day, ran off hiding but he could not for the life of him figure out why (this is a super friendly dog, always around).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Our dog is a rescue and has a load of issues. He always makes sure his back is protected when he sleeps. He wakes up growling and we have to tell him he’s okay, then he relaxes and dozes off, then wakes again. This starts as soon as it gets dark out.

He stays by my husband whenever I’m in the room because I’m the one who does the grooming. If I talk to him he walks over by my husband and keeps an eye on me. If either of us pick him up he growls furiously and stiffens up like he’s going to be tossed.

But if he’s really scared, like at Christmas when we put him on Santa’s lap, I’m the one he comes scrambling to for protection.

Each day I sit in the rocking chair and have him come up on my lap and relax so he learns it’s okay. He’s lived here just over 2 years and he’s still neurotic.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 pm

I understand some dogs actually need medication to treat their neurosis.

I hope he calms down!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:10 am

husband says the dog has more issues than Reader’s Digest. But actually he’s gotten a lot better since we adopted him, and he loves playing with fleece toys and going for walks, so he’s pretty happy overall.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:00 pm

I've been watching the miniseries about the Chernobyl disaster on and off for the last 2 days. I probably shouldn't it only served to reinforce my distrust of anything nuclear powered. In 1979 I was 9 and 2 of my brothers brought me to the No Nukes festival/concert in New York City.

I remember Jackson Browne preforming, who I liked. I remember an old military veteran from another country cursing out Jane Fonda (I didn't know why). More importantly I've had a keen interest in Nuke stuff ever since. I've listened to the stupid nuclear energy sales pitch all my life about how wonderful it is.

Just a thought as I was watching; if those 3 divers didn't volunteer their lives to go into the holding tank to release the water that was about to blow up the entire 4 reactors if it touched the melting lava like nuke stuff, Europe would have been uninhabitable for thousands of years, along with killing millions of people.

That's only one accident. It's only a matter of time, all the stuff out there is getting older and losing integrity. Politicians lie, people lie to save cushy jobs, people are lazy about their work and on and on.

I shouldn't watch this stuff but I really was hooked by that No Nukes Festival.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:08 pm

I watched that series as well. I found it incredible to see the sacrifices made by those involved even knowing the risks. Without their actions, as you say, it could have been far, far worse.

The phrase that always echoes in my mind is one I heard from a friend of mine who served on submarines and was something he had printed out and stuck above his bunk "Always remember this vessel was built by the lowest bidding contractor"

Its the same with Nuclear Power Stations, Companies will cut corners, corporations will put profits first, politicians and bureaucrats will lie and down play the risks. We now have safer alternatives but those in power have too much money tied up in Nuclear and Fossil fuel to want to see it replaced.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:38 pm

"Buillt by the lowest bidder" regarding your rifle is a phrase every drill seargant uses and is great motivation for youg slodiers to keep it clean. I always found that ironically funny.

In Vietnam, M16s were called Mattels for the plastic toy gun company Mattel. It was rumored they bid and won the right to build some. It's not true but it was beleived by many. They did bid for it but ddin't win. There was a verry delibnerate agenda to make The AR - 15 (Military designation M-16) seem inferior to the AK

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm

The AK does have the reputation of being, if you will excuse the pun, bulletproof. I recall the UK's SA80 had a pretty bad reputation for reliability as well.
I used to have quite a few toy guns as a kid some of which were very realistic so it wouldn't surprise me that a toy company might bid for the real thing.
I know a lot of the British Arms manufacturers had to find other markets, especially after the war(s), to keep viable. Enfield and BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) also made motorcycles. A number of aircraft manufacturers switched to making cars.

Sef - Indeed, I think things are likely to get a little tense as a result.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Such a foolish move. There are reasons why assassinations are not done. Retaliation? Take your own life in your hands?

He is getting tons of criticism for his actions from Dems. Congress is supposed to declare war, etc. He consulted with no one.

He was still impeached. The senate, one way or another, is going to vote on his impeachment, no matter what shiny object he tosses their way.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 am

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:55 am

We surely do not need more senseless wars - that trump would start one is reprehensible.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 pm

We surely do not need more senseless wars - that trump would start one is reprehensible.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:12 pm

So true.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:37 pm

There's some "wag the dog" going on in this current outrage.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Rjespicer, I've heard it said the AK is the poor man's AR and everyone with an AK wishes they had an AR. Everyone with an AR says damn, that AK is a good Fing rifle. Both very good, good points and bad to both. If I could only have one I might take the AK... maybe not, tough call, so many variables.

A good illustration of 2 entirely different schools of thought, just like the countires and men who built them

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:56 pm

The killing of Soleimani is potentially a very smart move. However, I doubt Trump is aware of that. I have to wonder if Trump is being played like a puppet by security agencies. Of all the options he could hae chosen for retailiation, he picked by far the most serious with far reaching consequences which I doubt he wished to do.

His killing quite possibly will end the direction of Iran's previous revolution, in which Soleimani was pretty much top guy until his death. If that's the case, there is a potential and opportunity to help influence the new revolution which surely will come. The problem, will Trump allow those much smarter than himself to guide America's actions and policy? No he won't, unless he's unaware he's being played like a puppet. A dangerous situation but regardless, I don't see anyone on the horizon of either party samrt enough, or with enough experience for what's coming.

My own personal feelings on his death, if I could dance a j.ig I would. He is directly repsonisble for the death of thousands of American soldiers and civilians. Hundreds of soldiers alone by a type of IED he helped develop and export

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm

"However, I doubt Trump is aware of that." Ha ha. No doubt true.

305 posts