Misc posts on topical issues

GPIG

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 am

I've been to Sudan/South Sudan, Somalia and Congo. If you can get out of poverty cities, take a minute to look around without getting killed, it is staggeringly beautiful. And so are the people.

Kenya is safe right now except for poachers so I can't wait. It's work but being able to enjoy the environment will be so nice. Having a day off here and there to explore and learn will be enjoyable too.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:26 am

This was a terrific PBS series about Mozambique - not Kenya. But well worth watching if you can find it. Our library has DVDs of most of the stuff shown on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/gorongosa/about/

"Experience the incredible and inspiring rebirth of an African wilderness through the eyes of an Emmy-winning wildlife cameraman. American-born, African-raised Bob Poole embarks on an amazing adventure: spending two years living in Gorongosa National Park, Mozambique"

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm going to try to get that for him, looks good. You always have great refernce material Bookfan, thank you - probably why you are Bookfan

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:53 am

Hope he (and you) enjoys it. I work in a library, but I'm not a librarian. I've been there for 14 years & hope I've learned something about finding resources . : )

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:11 am

A little over 3 years ago I was full of resentment and anger. I directed my anger towards the ones who cared the most for me. A long talk with someone I admired, respected and who believed in me lead me to setting goals. I carefully chose, promising myself whatever I write on my list, I must achieve. As I began working on my goals my anger subsided, I began to take responsibility for my life. During a meeting with my guidance counselor the subject of goals came up. “It just so happens”, I dug the list from my back pack and showed it to her. Her face contorted as she said “oh my, I think maybe you should set more realistic goals”. I have not wavered.

I’ve achieved all the short term goals and am completing or on track to complete the medium and longer term goals. At the bottom of my list is the big one, where all the other goals lead. I wrote college: I will graduate from the United States Naval Academy.

Today I received my nomination. I know it’s in part due to accomplishments and sacrifices of my family, but I still had to slug through APs Calculus, Trig and Organic Chemistry. I had to do the community service, make the athletic accomplishments happen; I had to ace the interview. I haven’t been accepted… yet, but I’m in pretty good shape. I was able to get a lifeguard job this coming summer which will allow me to swim and exercise on breaks. It also looks better than working at a grocery store on my application. While my friends are down the shore this summer having a good time I’ll spend my time as a lifeguard and working on my biggest weakness with a writing skills tutor. If I’m accepted I would enter during the summer of 2017.

Next goal of course would be to graduate, then…. I want jets. I want to feel as free as any human can possibly feel. I want to fly off a carrier, crack the afterburners and charge the sky supersonic. I’ll miss the fun at the shore but can anything really be better than that?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:32 am

WOOOOO!!

**Congratulations** on your nom!!!!!!!

You'll get there. I know you will. And a big huge boo to any counselor that says ANY goal is too ambitious (unless it's barred by the laws of physics).

Nothing clears out resentment, anger and frustration than intense concentration on an endeavor. You have learned that, and kudos to those that helped you.

Fly you high, Erin. Fly you high.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 am

I wish you a world of success!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 am

Yea Erin!! Congrats on your nomination. Like Talishan said, you'll get there.

My dad was a Liaison Officer for the Air Force Academy for many years. Even if you are going for Navy, he'd be rooting for you. :P

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. I hope I didn't sound cocky. I was feeling pretty good yesterday.

That's neat Bookfan. The Airforce is awesome and leads the way in many categories, not just flying. Additionally they usually have the best football team. Did you grow up in Colorado Springs?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Wonderful, Erinspigs! We're all VERY proud of you!

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Congratulations!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:21 am

Whoa whoa whoa on the football team. No offense Bookfan but Navy's team is the BEST in the academies!!

(dodges shots from Army fans)

:-)

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun May 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Beat Army!!! Saying it already.

Although West Point is the most beautiful place to see a football game, that I've been to.

Erinspigs

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:01 pm

I have a moral dilemma i hope the community can help with. My grandmother and favorite person in the whole world died about a year and a half ago. She was kind to all creatures great and small as they say. However, in the late 1970s her husband, my Gramps bought her a real mink stole.

She didn't want it but my grandparents struggled financially for a good part of their lives and around that time starting doing well. My grandfather surprised her with it and she accepted it because I don't think she wanted to hurt his feelings. Also and I'm not sure about this, not sure fur was so frowned upon yet?

My grandmother, despite her protesting, did secretly grow into liking it. She only wore it once a year to midnight mass at Christmas but I could tell wearing it that one time made her feel good.

OF course it's been passed down to me. I don't think I have to even write my feelings towards fur here. However, it was my grandmothers, was a gift with meaning form my Gramps, so I don't know what to do with it. I can't see myself ever wearing it but who knows? I can't see myself doing anything with it really, except after she died I was at her house and I wanted to sleep with something of hers. The mink was the first thing I saw, (it was waiting to be taken back to storage) so I curled up and slept with it. I've done that when thinking of her a few times. Would it be bad to just continue to use as a blanket until it just gets ripped up and then I've used it or something else?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:13 pm

I'd say use it however you want to. You didn't have anything to do with the purchase of it, and the original owner (the mink) can't use it any more!

If it were me, I wouldn't wear it out anywhere, because I wouldn't want to be seen as promoting real fur stoles, but do whatever you want in your own home.

rpaws

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm with bpatters. You didn't purchase the stole. It already exists. Use it in memory of your grandmother.

Note: It seems to be hard to get rid of fur nowadays which is a good thing. When my grandmother died, she left 3 fur pieces - sheared lamb coat, a mink stole and one of those fur pieces that had the heads of the animals still attached to them. (I opened the closet one time and screamed as that thing came towards my head.) No one in the family wanted them and there were no takers. Wonder what happened to them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Ditto. Enjoy it as a connection to your grandmother with no guilt.

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:39 pm

AARRGG!! I hate that I didn't see this thread until just now. Soooo proud of you Erinspig!!!!! It's time women broke more than the glass ceiling - fly way above it!

May you go where your heart leads you. Always. . .

GPIG

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Well I'm off to Africa in two weeks. I haven't signed a contract yet, even this was delayed a few weeks. I thought I would go per diem for the first leg and see if I really wish to make that long a commitment. I have serious reservations as opposed to when I thought "it felt like the best thing I ever did" Ha, hindsight and time eh?

It took me longer to get in shape than I thought it would, age creeping in, whispering, “this is the end gpig, no more running around the woods, mountains, fields and hills”
August 27 wheels up, I think, maybe.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Uh, GPig, I'm not sure how to react. I worry for you, and for your family. I may be totally our of line, but I have been wondering how you've been doing since your recent return. I know "adjusting" to a "regular" none adrenaline loaded life can be. . .difficult. I was really hoping you could feel peaceful and settled at home.

But, I know nothing about what's really going on, so the above is all my emotional reaction.

Totally above and beyond my own wishes for your life, I wish you nothing but the very best, whether you go to Africa or not. I wish you peace. You've earned that.

Feel free to just dismiss the above. Sometimes I set my foot into other peoples' wheel house when I shouldn't. . .I just worry for you

81 posts