Fundamentalism and the Murder of the Innocent

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:37 pm

"A fundamentalist believes that only the outcome matters, that how one achieves that outcome is irrelevant. ...And let’s make something else clear: Islamic fundamentalism is not the only kind. Nazi ideology represents fundamentalism par excellence. Right here in our country we witnessed fundamentalism—in the form of white supremacist/white nationalist ideology—motivate Dylann Roof to execute nine people in a church for the crime of being black. Fundamentalism—in all its various stripes—is the most destructive force in our world today. And that’s why I hate it."

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/11/22/1451968/-I-hate-fundamentalism

We put labels on the unfathomable. We try to understand why anyone would kill innocent people.

It breaks my heart.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:45 pm

I am in despair. Trump the Bloviator is like the second coming of Hitler and Mussolini, says that the BLM activist at his rally DESERVES to have the bejeezus beaten out of him for saying "Black Lives Matter," the media aren't calling these hateful racists out 24/7, people are assaulting Sikhs thinking they are Muslim (not that assaulting anyone is appropriate, but the ignorance + racism is astonishing), etc.

WTF is wrong with people?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:06 pm

It is awful! Not to mention the calls to war!

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:36 pm

It is heartbreaking.

CyborgCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I wrote a short story about a girl whose family believes their religion (and having everyone believe the same thing they do) is more important than their own child's life, health, and happiness. You get to see the consequences (to their child) of that blind belief.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0101AKW?keywords=land20of2 ... r_1_1&sr=8-1

Of course it's fiction, but much of the material comes from real-life experiences (unfortunately). Ironically, one reviewer thought the characters were "unrealistic" and the parents were too stupid to be believed. Hahahahahaaaaa! XD

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:22 pm

That kind of story is something which can be read as a first hand account through blogs or features written by the people affected by this issue (often people identifying as gay or young women).

There is a lot of coverage just now on the stories of Syrians waiting at Cailis as charities who have gone to help try to help Europeans see these people as humans fleeing war and persecution as opposed to leeches on our resources.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:12 pm

There are some scholars that posit Islamic fundamentalism is rooted at least in part to Nazi propaganda.

Several years ago there was a book written about Nazi Propaganda in the Arab World by Jeff Herf. I remember reading some of it on a long flight years ago. I don’t recall if I agreed with his conclusions or not but do remember the historical facts were very interesting.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:30 pm

I joined this website for my piggies, but sometimes I now come here for the sanity of it. Thanks to all who posted on this thread. I agree.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:07 am

Here's the book, GPIG:

http://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Propaganda-Arab-World-Preface/dp/0300168055

It came across the desk at the library where I work & I perused it (looked at the pictures)- didn't read it but it looked interesting.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:28 pm

You really are a Book Fan! Thank you, I might have another look.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Tonight our government voted to drop bombs on Syria in the hope of wiping out IS/Daesh and increasing security for France and the UK (we are now hearing about foiled terror plots against the UK in the last 12 months as some sort of justification).

It seems the need of the Europeans outweighs the need of the people in Syria who are trapped in a war zone. Innocents. Children. None of them matter.

There's been a news report about a UK school forcing Muslim children to payer outside on the wet ground. It's like some sick story from the days of seggregation. We'll be forcing people to the back of the bus before long.

I grew up in a multicultural area of the city. We celebrated all festivals at school, not just the Christian ones. We were taught to accept each other, to see what is beneath a skin colour or religous belief. It feels like we are stepping back into the dark ages. Propaganda making us fear people who we have no reason to fear.

I remember the days when I was little and we were terrorised by the IRA. Bombs going off regularly. Innocent people being killed and injured. It feels like we are heading back to that.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 am

That is so sad, Jessie. The good wishes of the many can be so overshadowed by the rotten behavior of the few. I hope it is very few who are so cold hearted.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:51 am

From the Philly Daily News with regard to the Trump rally last night:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/12/08/daily-news-cover-compares-trump-to-hitler/

GPIG

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Looking into this and hearing how both Republican and Democratic candidates took a moment to breathe a sigh of relief thinking, finally they've got Trump in a pickle and they will be able to get him out of this race due to his latest comments.

Unfortunately as they pondered their next moves polls are showing even more people are agreeing with him. This is wrong on so many levels but you would think a man who has been educated and obtained a level of success would at least have a rudimentary understanding of the Bill of Rights.

At every rally he makes at least 2 or 3 statements of how he’s going to “fix things” that are clearly unconstitutional. I realize how unstable and flawed he is, more upsetting to me is how wildly he is being cheered on, as if he has good ideas.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:19 pm

You and me both, GPIG. I just hope there are enough sane people left in the Republican party to keep him from being the nominee.

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 am

There is some talk of him switching ( his choice ) to the Independent Party, taking die hard Republicans with him.

What a shake up that would be.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Please, please, please let that happen. Maybe the sane Republicans could then rebuild on what's left, and Trump and the far right wing can have each other.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Well Donald is certainly losing the popularity vote this side of the Atlantic. Not only is the petition to have him banned from the UK gathering pace and signatures at a rate of thousands every hour, he has been stripped of his honorary degree from one of our universities and dropped as a business ambassador appointed due to his family connections with Scotland.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/114003

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35054360

I can't see him being banned from the UK however many vote for it, and what would he do with his golf courses then - he wouldn't be allowed in to play on them!

Donald Turnip, we clearly have such respect for you... Meh!

CyborgCavy

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:51 pm

"Donald Turnip" made me laugh.
We need to dump Trump the rump!

Sane Republicans? And where are those? I haven't seen any in my lifetime.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:58 pm

There are a few out there. Fewer than there used to be, for sure.

I voted for Arlen Specter several times when I lived in Pennsylvania. I liked Kay Bailey Hutchinson pretty well when was in the Senate. Despite having general philosophical differences with her about governing, she did a good job representing Texas -- certainly many times better than the current crew we've got.

Of course, the right-wing crew that's running for president makes any moderate Republican look sane.

I saw a great cartoon today. Someone's writing his list for Santa Claus, and the number 1 item is "Better presidential candidates."

25 posts