Fundamentalism and the Murder of the Innocent

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Nullify the Neep!

Or is that hate speech against neeps... ;-)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 pm

I voted for John Warner for the Senate a couple times. I still think he's okay (though one never agrees with any politician totally).

GPIG

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:21 pm

I met an old colleague of mine I had once trained and took under my wing in Dover De this morning. He was flying in from Afghanistan. I don't know who he works for anymore and I don't ask. I don't even know where he was going, I knew not to ask, I can guess. Since he did want to catch up with me, and we had been close for a couple years, we had to talk about something after how our families are.

I try hard to not think about being there much anymore but it does come back. I wonder what's happened and what it is like. Even though I didn't know what he's doing, I know he would know and have a better handle on it than anyone writing for the Washington Post, besides I don't read anything about it because I know it's all fiction. I did ask him though and I did want to know what it was like in Indian country, places like Kajaki, Panjwei, Zharay, my personal favorite Khost.

Unfortunately his report was not good. The Taliban are gaining strength again, terrorising amid a week and disjointed government. There are other "actors" participating in religious fundamentalism looking to fill vacuums and even fighting with Taliban. In short it's a mess, getting worse and we'll probably be back again. Wonderful we sacrificed so much.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:11 am

That is discouraging but perhaps not surprising. And it is sad for the people of Afghanistan.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 pm

I feel bad for so many, the kids who lost their lives believing right was on their side, lost limbs, their minds. Their parents, wives, husbands, children. I also feel terrible for some of the original mujahadeen who I came to admire and respect. They helped us when doing so put them and their families in grave danger. Those people were driven by an honor code that was unbelievably simple and honest and it was infectious to me, personally. They were a model of honor and gave me something to aspire to.

They are survivors but I'm sure they have had to take to hiding in the mountains yet again, unable to make a living, unable to have their kids and grandkids educated which they so badly desired. I know the political mess gets tricky, but people who saved US soldiers lives, helped us accomplish military and political objectives should not be living the way they did when the Spetsnaz was running wild trying to slaughter their children. Tehy have been at war for generations and believed this time we would be there to help them see it through, so they could finally come out he other side and know peace, a peaceful existence for their children and children's children.

Can't get this out of my mind today. A loud argument in aisle 9 of Home Depot seems so trivial.

25 posts