Brexit - the EU referendum

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am

I am sorry for you all. My husband seemed to think the US Teaparty had taken over the vote :-(

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:30 am

It's a sad day for humanity. I know everyone is entitled for their own opinion, but political lies have become the new truth.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm so sorry for the negative impacts this will have on (some of) you. I'm not informed on the issue at all, so it's been sort of a privilege to hear opinions from the people affected.

"My husband seemed to think the US Teaparty had taken over the vote"

sort of like a virus that's spread across the ocean.

"Too important a decision to be left to the masses jumping on immigration."

Sometimes I feel this way too (US), but guiltily - not very democratic, but still.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Bookfan, I have a relative who often says, "The people of the United States are too stupid for democracy." There are days that I thoroughly agree.

bats

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Sarah Palin just cheered Brexit... and said it's time for the U.S. to get out of the United Nations because One World Government is a bad idea.

She just lost the Trekkie vote. Because if Palin ever gets elected again, there may never be a United Federation of Planets.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Aren't Sarah Palin's 15 minutes over yet?

bats

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Unfortunately no.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:04 pm

She is such a loser. And a prime example of how far someone who is uneducated can get.

Sometimes I do feel the republicans with how they cut education funding are doing this on purpose so we have a population that can be manipulated and just does not see it (or care).

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm

My very racist and republican cousin just posted a mocked up picture of a 'Britian Independence Day'. It states 'We'll stand by you'.

I'm very sorry for what a lot of you guys are going through. I don't totally understand it, but, for what it's worth(not much), I'm sorry.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Donald Trump makes Sarah Palin look wonderful, politically wise.

I'm not sure how I feel about England leaving the EU as I haven't followed it much (I live in the USA). I really hope things work out for the common citizenry.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Trump was up at his golf course in Scotland today, stating what a great day it is. This is the same Scotland where he wanted to evict all of the locals for bringing down the area around his golf course.

Talks have begun about who will be up for leader of the Tory party. I always joked that Boris the fluffy headed loon would be perfect. I am now quaking in my boots at the thought of that stupid joke becoming a reality.

I've seen some really bad interviews of people who voted to leave. One woman had her whole family vote leave, assuming that it wasn't anything proper and that it would be voted again at some point.

I honestly think this was too big a decision to be put in the hands of the general public, the political parties and the media.

I had a real kick in the guts whilst shopping for veg earlier. The guy in front of us voted out because "I was at the doctors the other day and I was the only white person in the waiting room". I have no words for that level of stupid.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:57 pm

Donald Trump makes Sarah Palin look wonderful, politically wise.
Er, no. They're both equally idiotic and unfit for public office. Trump would be the larger disaster because he's such a master of the media, but neither one could govern a kindergarten class on a play ground.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Both Palin and Trump bluff their ways through. Both have used media attention, both are uneducated for the role, unqualified to guide a system of government or people, are unpolished with or without makeup. If I were in their shoes and was performing so poorly, I would be embarrassed to even consider myself for the position. I would take myself out of the game so quickly you would have already forgotten my name. It's a responsibility to the people, and not just to us, but to other nations. I am still not worried about Trump having a foothold. It won't happen. But I am surprised with how long his stint has lasted.

tashab

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm

I have friends who are currently in the UK and they're all sad at the result.

The one good thing that I've seen is the Scots responding to Trumps idiotic praising of Scotland voting to go out (when they didn't) on Twitter.
It's been a while since I've seen such an inventive use of language to insult a person. "Mangled apricot hellbeast" was one of my favourites.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:09 am

We now have Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP, the guy behind this poster:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/nigel-farage ... -of-migrants

Claiming that we need to make a new bank holiday, our own Independence Day! It's really not something to be proud of.

That goddammed poster is one of the reasons why we're leaving. Of the people I know who voted out, all of their choices were 100% immigration. Not one of them had any thoughts, feelings or information on anything other than stopping more people "clogging up our benefits system and hospitals, and taking all of our houses and jobs".

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:38 am

In my news feed, it's been the £350 billion a day (I really don't think I have it right, but neither did the media or the poltical partie by all accounts) that we're now going to save by not paying into the EU pot. We can spend it on the NHS - result! (coz we have honest, reliable and dependable people representing us)

What shocked me was an area of Wales - one of the areas of the UK to massively benefit from EU funding - has voted to leave. Take your skills training, regenration, employability schemes, etc, and shove them!

I have a couple of friends who made an educated decsiion to vote leave. I don't dislike them for it. I respect the fact that they have looked beyond what the media has kept in the spotlight.

Europe will likely be breathing a sigh of relief. British football yobs aren't going to be able to travel and trash up other countries as easily during the euros.

But remember. This is Great Britain. Great big mess of a Britain more like!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:35 am

It's 330 million a day that we'd save they reckon. It was on a leaflet that I was reading when I visited my parents last weekend. It was from the Brexit side and it literally had 2 things on it. One was the £330 million we can save and spend on the NHS instead and the other was stopping immigrants.

One of my boyfriends friends works for the NHS and he's really upset about us voting out, he's worried of us. I would trust his thoughts on the NHS way more that what either side has been spouting.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:09 am

I came to quite an awful realisation last night. My education path isn't choice isn't exactly standard. I'm trying to avoid full vet school but want to work in veterinary research. The option of doing a post grad degree in Europe has been an idea I have been toying with.

Not any more.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:00 am

That is sad. I'm sorry about how the future looks.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:40 am

It seems I will soon have the most globally distributed network of friends. Many of my friends are seriously scouting where they'd like to live instead of the United Kingdom.

Scottish taxes are already pretty high, if they rise higher I'll be negatively affected and it would be more cost effective for me to be elsewhere.

I also am getting to That Age where I'm considering where I want to be when I start a family. I don't want my child to think it's okay to be so blindly against migration and - heaven forbid - against refugees finding safety in our country.

I am very interested in hearing from a leave voter not motivated by the chant of "get the (religion/home country) out!" what encouraged them to vote leave. The media hasn't helped me to understand why it could be positive.

MPS have apparently already said that leave won't stop freedom of movement, they'll just have more control of numbers. Maybe it won't be so bad for your future aspirations, Jessie?

I'll be in Canada if I don't like how it's all going.

154 posts