Brexit - the EU referendum

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Jessie, wait until it all shakes out. Your postgrad plans may not be impacted at all, or very minimally. Don't give up just yet.

What I don't understand is why Labour is upset with Corbyn. What exactly was he supposed to do, go to the Midlands and the North and twist arms? Bribe people? Corbyn is as sincere, honest and ethical as they come. He's not going to be a rah-rah puppet for something he doesn't completely believe in, and I applaud him for that.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:43 am

Talishan, I thought it is because he is pro leave and didn't do much to campaign for stay.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:49 am

I think it's just another excuse for the anti-corbyns to try and push him out of the limelight.

He is an honest down to earth guy. He "dresses scruffy" and cycles to work instead of putting travel and clothing on his expenses bill.

He conducts himself graciously in parliament. He asks quastions and doesn't just fire insuilts like a spoiled Tory brat.

He is showing up the old boys club, and doing it fantastically. We need more Corbyns in politics.

8ball

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Corbyn isn't pro-leave but politicians and the media portray his lack of rabid enthusiasm for staying as such.

He is gracious. And decent and principled. He's not a get-rich-quick politician, he listens to and talks with regular people. The centre right and Blairites of the Labour party hate that and have decided to use the current situation to stick thie knives into his back. They've never liked him being leader and were planning to take him down for months.

In a resignation letter one of the shadow cabinet said that Corbyn risked going down in history as the man who dsestroyed the Labour party, but I place that honour with Hilary Benn.

I sincerely hope that if the vote of no confidence goes through he can stand for leader again and prove that he is the man the people want for the job.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Here is an interesting article from a political blog I read about the legal implementation of the Brexit vote.

8ball

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:44 pm

I've got to wonder if the Labour mutiny is a diversion from the upcoming Chilcott report on the Iraq War. Some current Labour MPs were in the cabinet in 2003 and endorsed Blair's actions.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Ergh, guys... I am so effing depressed. Can't engage in anything remotely constructive right now! I am not sure there is enough wine in the world to help me deal!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 pm

I hear they're trying to get a quick "take back" vote to undo Brexit.

I am sorry you are so depressed about this.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Gosh, I can understand how you feel. At this point, it's definitely the fear of the unknown. Maybe make a list of worse case scenario things as far as how this could effect you. Could you lose your job? Lose benefits? No longer have certain things available to you like medical or dental care? Are you worried about finances (we all are really)?

You find yourself in a challenging situation, but maybe you can take some steps to help yourself plan in case of a change to your lifestyle if it comes.

I also am plagued with worry and sometimes depression. But I like to hope that if I'm in a tight spot with finances, economy, or whatever, I can do like my grandparents and my parents when they went through the Great Depression. They tightened their belts and lived as frugally as possible. They tried to find joy in simple things in life. They sought out creative solutions for problems. And they learned to care about their family and neighbors and to lean on each other when the need arose.

I grew up poor and I didn't like it, but it gave me an education on how to live poor if I had to. When I got married, I found myself in a much better place and I have felt spoiled really and very blessed. I haven't needed to reach down deep inside myself to find that place that carries on in the face of hard adversity. But I was very much loved and I hope that I can pull from that if things should get bad.

Halva, you are important. You must tell yourself that you CAN rise to the challenge and meet it head on and you CAN prevail. Things may be different, but you can adjust and carry on. Remember too that you are not the only one who is scared of what will happen and it's a good time to reach out to those around you and see if you can help. Even if it's just with a "let me know if you want to talk about all this crazy stuff." Reaching out to others tends to empower you.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:14 pm

WIcharlie, thanks for such a caring, thoughtful response. You too, Lynx. I think I'm grieving or something. In shock probably. I can't seem to disaster plan right now. I know there is time to act - there's no triggering article 50 straight away. I just need get myself out of this fog.

I am doing a sponsored swim at the weekend to raise money for the charity I work for, which is at least a positive thing to focus on.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:49 pm

The swim will definitely help.

It's perfectly okay to be in a fog for a bit. Ditto WICharlie.

Nothing much will change for now, really. The global financial markets will settle down and quit their absurd gyrations and overreactions. 3, 5, 10 years from now things will likely be different -- I fervently hope for the better, and not for the worse.

8ball, I think you've nailed it there.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:04 am

8ball -- this is just unreal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/boris-johnsons-al ... ic-and-calc/

This is House of Cards (the real one, the books by Michael Dobbs). Just unbelievable.

I liked Boris. From a distance, he seemed like a sincere, somewhat less egotistical, significantly more rational version of Trump. I've no idea if he was qualified to be PM but I thought he was cool.

If these news stories are true, this is just ... really evil.

8ball

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:43 am

Talishan - it's precisely House of Cards.

Boris is not sincere. He plays a bumbling idiot character but he has been very calculated in what he's done here. Now he's made this huge mess, with some very far fetched promises that he had no intention of keeping, he's backed out of the situation leaving others to clear up after him. It sounds like political posturing, however the effects are far reaching, real and hurt people.

Most of the right is crooked, half of the left is crooked and together they're trying to sink the honest part of the opposition.

My biggest fear is that this will result in the country becoming more and more right wing. There's so much Islamophobia here that it makes me sad, and there has been five fold increase in racist incidents since the result just one week ago. An American woman living in the UK suggested wearing a safety pin (literally, a pin of safety) to indicate that you're available to help those who are scared or being harassed. Mine is firmly on my lapel.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:49 am

I talked to a random woman at Habitat for Humanity yesterday. Was so sad to hear her friends/relatives in the UK were happy about the split because they hated all the immigration :-(

She could not understand why they would not just stay in their own country.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:27 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/01/boris-johnson-lies-no-10

Post result, Boris Johnson was apparently off playing cricket over the weekend when the country (and remain voters) struggled to understand what a vote of Leave would actually mean.

No expression of comfort. No calming of panic.

Looking at PM replacements for David Cameron, David isn't looking so bad now. :(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 am

If I read it right, the Telegraph link above claimed he was out-maneuvered (support failed) and that was why he pulled himself out? I imagine there will be different twists to this.

I respect the Guardian.

It is hard to sort out UK politics for me.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:46 am

Boris Johnson is HORRIBLE.

Here is a 2014 article about how the elitist boys club of public schools is so bad for government and policy.

Boris Johnson features heavily.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:50 am

My "mostly reading between the lines from the Guardian" take is that Boris and his cronies manipulated the Brexit vote as a coup against Cameron. They made outrageous racist, nativist and other more hopeful promises (like spending money on the NHS) that they never felt they'd need to deliver because they didn't believe LEAVE would win; they thought they'd get a close loss to they could then push Cameron out with the angry mobs yet still be in the EU. Or something like that. Now that they've won they have to sweep up this mess in some way. Boris lost big. I can't claim to be sad about that.

scoot

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 pm

HEADLESS CHICKEN BREXIT FARCE

Its hard to write about seeing ones country tear apart. I am so disturbed by half Britain voting for an imaginary future of greatness that is undeliverable. Where has tolerant multicultural Britain gone?

It was clear to me that a Leave vote would plunge the country into turmoil in many ways. But everyday there's a new surprise.

The whole campaign was full of misinformation, and no information and making false promises about where the saved money would go and stirring up hatred of parts of the population who are actually necessary to the running of the nation. People voting for money to go to the NHS but also voting to get rid of migrants without understanding that 11% of NHS staff are foreign nationals and 26% of Doctors. The weird thing is that the media is who decides what is and is not reported. People believe what they read in the papers but not facts from experts. You can read an interesting analysis of the 2015 election here and many of the issues are the same http://www.electionanalysis.uk/

Jubilant Leave politicians clearly with no actual plan, recanting their promises immediately and attempted leader coups in both parties. The true financial downfall will happen once everything costs more, which will get worse in the years to come.

17 million said leave, but 16 million of us said stay and now we have to follow a path we did not chose and do not want and 2+ years waiting for it to happen.

We are all astounded that Boris Johnston did not put himself forward for the PM job. Particularly as it was his charisma when he joined 'Leave' that led so many previously undecided voters to vote Leave. Gove may have stabbed him in the back, but Boris should have had other supporters . I agree with Gove that Boris have been a flaky PM, but at least he would have had to take responsibility for what he has done, instead of ducking out.

Meanwhile the parliamentary Labour party are attempting a coup. People we have never heard of saying they could do better and trying to oust Jeremy Corbyn. Neither they or the media have supported Jeremy Corbyn from the start. But the strong support from grass roots Labour members who elected him, is very likely to see him through a leadership challenge.

It is hard to keep tabs on all that is going on and it must be really confusing to you over there.

8ball

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm waiting for the next sh*tstorm to land in the form of the Chilcott report next week. Let's see if anyone is due for an appointment at The Hague.

154 posts