Election Results!

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:25 pm

News reporting that the Canadian immigration website has crashed following a surge in hits following Trumps lead.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:34 pm

I am so upset about this election.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:36 pm

I don't either...i'm sick...:(

Erinspigs

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:43 pm

My state's Governor Christie, has been Trump's sidekick and biggest bloviator.

He's a sneaky weasel. Despite the predictions of Hillary landslide I had a sick feeling last week knowing he's the type of guy who is always on the winning side.

My Grandma used to say he's the type person who could put his hand down a toilet and come up with a gold watch on his wrist.

JX4

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:55 pm

I can't even.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:06 am

I'm with you with can't even-ing. He's pulling too far away in those states. We're gonna be done.

RooneysGMom

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 am

I'm just sick. Absolutely cannot wait to see what this does to the stock market tomorrow (there goes my retirement fund). I'd like to be optimistic and say things will be okay but I just don't see it. :(

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:00 am

The Asian markets are crashing just now, its likely that the European and US markets will crash too.

It's shit but don't worry too much; markets crash when there's uncertainty. Happenings of the future can recover them again.

For example; in FX the pound crashed on brexit. The recent high court announcement recovered the pound and in the future it could recover more depending on whether brexit doesn't go ahead and if it does how well the UK performs.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:11 am

Yup NCIS, up and down. I've followed investing with my Gramps for years and the one continuing truth about the markets is that they are rigged by insiders. The other guiding rule is if you can't afford to lose it you shouldn't be gambling, and the stock market, with all it's shiny disguised products, is gambling.

Traders love to sight reasons for taking the market up and down. The wider the gap, the more they make. They can bet long or short, call or put while hedging their bets, however they play. There is no solid reason for the markets to crash other than that.

The next president will not be able to change anything for months

GPIG

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:08 am

Wow, looks like a majority of Americans fall into the deplorable category... and they vote. Who knew. Not Hillary, apparently.

You may have missed one thing about investing E. It's called a run. It's unstoppable when investors, particularly institutional investors, believe an event will have catastrophic consequences.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:12 am

I have no words.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:19 am

Erin, the market crashes when something unexpected happens - what you're describing is market abuse and it's illegal. That is not what is happening now or because of Brexit, it's psychology. It's about confidence and the perception that you are a safe investment. Like what GPIG said ^

The way a trader or asset manager would do what you're describing is by selling and buying shares hoping to cause a movement in the market. There are heavy, heavy penalties for traders or asset managers who do this, and their managers.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:32 am

My point NCIS, that I didn't articulate very well, is that the markets will go down tomorrow, and be back up before Trump is President. That move will be from manipulation.

Even the notable financial media "stars" and most prolific advisors are saying buy the dip if Trump wins, sell the run up if Hillary wins.

The markets will again find the average they are at now before the next administration takes office, before the settle into their natural, long term trend that will indeed be affected by the election.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with any market indicators that should bring the markets down right now.

Of course, I may just be talking out my butt, I'm exhausted. This has been a long painful evening. I'm going to cuddle up with my Doxie, and snooze.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:41 am

Erin, I agree that the market will recover, but the reason you're giving for the recovery is wrong.

Manipulation is illegal, its market abuse. I work for an investment bank and I have compliance and market training coming out of my ears.

The reason the US market will crash is because Trump was unexpected, and now the US government bonds and stocks in US companies (in the dollar) will be perceived to be a high risk investment. They will recover when the perception of risk decreases, but that perception is taken from what traders say, what trump starts tweeting or doing or deciding, what the media says, what large investment managers publish in research papers. It's more than a trader or investment manager abusing the market.

rpaws

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 am

Ack, just ack. What does this say about us as a nation?

Riahrae

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:42 am

The next 4 years will be hell but we will make it through..

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:05 am

It has been a very beautiful and dry fall here. But today, tears are falling from the sky and the moring is darker than it should be. For me it has been love vs. hate. That hate won breaks my heart.

RooneysGMom

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:58 am

Hopefully the markets will recover, just as they did when Obama took office. I do have to agree with you too Lynx -I have always thought that as a country the US was fundamentally good, fair, and forward -thinking. I'm so disappointed in the voting public-- it's going to be a long 4 years.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:40 am

Unbelievable. Daughter #1 crying last night. I'm scared & disgusted. I'm thinking of all the diverse, non-white people who come into my library and there are a lot even though we live in a very Republican neighborhood. How must they feel.

"That hate won breaks my heart."

Yeah. How did this happen? And I'd like to know how virtually all the respected polls were so wrong. I don't understand that.

Where are you sf? We need to hear from you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:19 am

We are well and truly f&cked.

Here's my thought about the polls. The rise of cell phone has made polling much harder to do. When we all had landlines, and area codes and the first three digits of phone numbers designated a geographic area, pollsters could be pretty sure whether they were surveying in a particular socioeconomic/political/religious/whatever district, and have somewhat more confidence in the results. Now, all bets are off.

I also think robocalling has affected the accuracy of polling. I just don't answer the phone during an election season unless I recognize the number. And I've never, ever, listened to a computer message all the way through unless it was from my pharmacy or the kids' schools. There are a lot of folks out there that do the same.

They also survey a very small number of people, and I don't think they emphasize enough how much room there is for error. I read an article a couple of weeks ago that most of the pollsters survey between 500 and 1000 people, and then generate their stats out of multiple computer runs against that data. I understand that it costs money to run the polls, but that's just not enough people in the sample.

174 posts