Election Results!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:23 am

I think of the vitriol on hate radio and the call to get out and vote. The rising of people to vote for hate against the "other". Some of the slogans Trump supporters used against Hillary were terrible.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:53 am

Interesting Bpatters. I don't answer my phone much either because of robo calls & telemarketers.

@Lynx - I also wonder if Faux News, the internet - Facebook & social media & other stuff - have created such a significant echo chamber that it encourages extremes & polarization. So all in all, our rapidly changing technology has changed all the rules including those applying to polls.

But still, Nate Silver (538) is one smart guy and he certainly is aware of all this. However he did give Trump a 1 in 3 chance as of yesterday morning.

My sister said that Trump's handlers kept him away from Twitter for the last 2 weeks. And then there's Covey. As far as I'm concerned, he broke the law and in doing so may have thrown the election.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:00 am

Nate Silver's last blogpost:

"That’s A Wrap

Donald Trump has been elected president of the United States.

In an extremely narrow sense, I’m not that surprised by the outcome, since polling — to a greater extent than the conventional wisdom acknowledged — had shown a fairly competitive race with critical weaknesses for Clinton in the Electoral College. It’s possible, perhaps even likely, that Clinton will eventually win the popular vote as more votes come in from California.

***But in a broader sense? It’s the most shocking political development of my lifetime.***"

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:01 am

I bet a fair number of the Republican elite are appalled too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:12 am

I bet a fair number of the Republican elite are appalled too.
Then maybe they'll get their thumbs out of their a&&es and do something about governing the country instead of obstructing the process.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 am

I'm appalled as well. I'm still on the younger side of things. I feel the hate that Trump has spouted everyday. We live in a largely republican, redneck place. I've been slowly watching minorities/lgbtq people slowly almost retract from society. Or, you have the almost psychotic people, like a lesbian aquaintance that voted for Trump. She was asked why and replied 'he can't take away gay marriage, it's already there!'. Really? Watch him.

I'm worried about my birth control, and i'm worried about the price for it. I remember how much i used to pay for the pill, and i wont be able to afford it. That especially terrifies me.

I'm watching other people my age, 'men' and 'women', celebrate, because trump got in office. I'm not sure they even realize why their celebrating, just that another 'republican' got back into office. He'll be the downfall of us all. I don't understand how people my age could EVER celebrate someone like HIM. I'm just disgusted. When you said it, you said it well, Lynx. Hate most definitely won. And it's scary to think about every single person who made that hate pull through.

afdani1984

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 am

I wish I didn't have 4 more years on my contract with the Air Force. I'm not saying Obama treated the military super great in terms of the annual raise we typically get and budget cuts. But at least he didn't openly hate or tell the world he thought a former POW was a loser because he was captured, and that he "doesn't side with losers."

It's just...unbelievable that Trump is essentially my boss for the next 4 years.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:32 am

Mr. RS is pretty certain he's going to lose his job. He manages systems that handle the ACA. My contract runs out in March. I'm terrified I'm going to lose my home - for starters.

Eight years ago, I held my newborn and said, "You are witnessing history." This morning I held my 8 yr old and we cried.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:09 am

I am so angry. The so called 'Christian conservatives evangelical Republicans' have lost my respect. They have no moral high ground after endorsing and electing Trump - three marriages, wife with nude pictures easily found on the internet, wife not even a natural born US citizen, shady business deals, etc. I am appalled Christians helped elect him because of the way he has acted and things he has said (both in the past and during the campaign).

I'm Christian and was told several times that I could not be Christian because I was for Secretary Clinton this election.

Trump has brought the worst out in people.

I am worried about the future too. I am on Social Security Disability and have Medicare. I fear what may happen to those things now that Republicans are in office. Like others, I have cried.

Also, I worry about what will happen to people that are immigrants. Also, the LGBT community, people that aren't white, Christian, etc. We are a diverse nation. I feel that many, many of our citizens will be left out.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:11 am

I so hope Mr. RS does not lose his job. Hugs from me. I share your sadness.

And a Trump economy will tank. Our standing in the world will plummet.

Looking forward to seeing how the Trump voters feel in a year or two.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:20 am

The Republicans have long wanted to dismantle it. I'm sure that the unfettered trifecta will do so. Mr. RS took a job switch to try to get a better job and it's been worse...and it's probable that he won't have a job at all soon enough.

I fear he'll sell us out to China lock, stock and oil barrel. How's your Russian these days?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 am

I'm sorry C. Cole & RS. Pain all over the place with this election. We should call him Darth.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Bookfan, thanks for your kind words.

RavenShade, I really hope things work out for your family.

JX4

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:11 pm

My heart hurts. I live where many are celebrating, including family members and friends. My heart just hurts. So many, so very many people are going to be hurt now. I think many of the same people who are now celebrating will also end up hurt, they just don't know it yet. Maybe because of the bubble they live in, they may never realize the real reason for why they will hurt.

I held my piggies last night and for the first time envied their little lives, since what just happened doesn't worry them nor will it change their world.

Lies, revenge, deceit, and hate won. That many of my fellow Christians helped it win saddens and baffles me beyond belief. But I want everyone to know that there are many evangelical Christians who did not vote for him. Many of us voted for her. Not enough of us, obviously, but many just the same.

Now what? After we dry our tears, let's resolve to make the parts of the world we personally touch a better place. Let's resolve to love those around us more, to be a friend to the lonely, to comfort the wounded and the frightened. To show grace to those we can.

If you believe in God, then resolve to pray for him to somehow work with those in power, to limit the harm they can do and magnify the good. If the early Christians could find ways to "honor the emperor" Nero (1 Peter 2:17) in spite of his evil ways and abuses, then surely we can, too. Because our hope is not in any human being, thank God.

If you don't believe in God, you can still purpose to think good thoughts so as to not allow your soul to be poisoned by anger and hate. We should not allow ourselves to become what we oppose.

Finally, we can all resolve to stand for truth and to do all we can to make our surroundings a better place for our children (and our piggies too).

GPIG

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Several months ago I debated and wrote here how I couldn’t vote for Hillary nor did I wish to vote for Trump. The beginning of last week I began to feel better about voting for Trump, not great but better, and I did. I’m comfortable with my vote today and embrace the opportunity for change. Obviously many people, and I am among them, feel this country has become far too liberal in the past 8 years.

There is hate out there, and there will always be hate. The vast majority of people I’ve spoken to who ended up voting for Trump aren’t haters, they don’t wish to discriminate or exclude but they don’t like being told how they should feel and act towards all manner of public agenda. That was the issue; Trump knew it and Hillary didn’t. She called 50% of the voting public deplorable with the assumption right is on her side and everyone opposing is a hater. Anyone who voted for Trump today is a hater. That is just not true. It is true we don’t like her, she doesn’t like us. I believe she showed her character by not showing up to thank her most ardent supporters last night.

I’m not here to rub it in or put down Hillary. I know you all are genuinely hurting and I feel for you. I like many of you even if I don’t agree with your politics. If it helps at all, the one thing we did find about Trump that is a positive is that he outworked Hillary. He worked damn hard, made history, and did what’s never been able to be done before. Taht took more than hate and more than I thought he had in him, quite frankly. Let’s hope he does what he said he will do last night and puts the same effort into working towards the common good of all Americans and some healing can begin.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 pm

GPIG, since you voted for him and you're the only Trump supporter around to ask this of, I have a question.

You have a wife and a daughter. How do you look them in the eye and tell them that you voted for a man for president of this country who thinks it's ok to walk up to them and without speaking, kiss them on the mouth and grab them by their private parts?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:48 pm

bpatters, don't look at the number of women who voted for him and think it's OK. It's astonishing how many didn't care.

GPIG, I hope he does NOT do what he said he will do. My husband will be out of a job, and I better find one that has healthcare because he needs an MRI. A friend of mine with a pre-existing condition says she can never return home to the US and is probably going to put their house here on the market. I don't care how he hustled. What does that have to do with policies? I care that he's now going to destroy what I value. But it's okay. My grandchildren don't need a viable world to live in. We can bulldoze everything. I don't need a house. Recessions are cool. My trans friends don't need to pee, or have rights, or be treated fairly. My daughter doesn't need friends. Go ahead and deport them all, even though some of them are not Latino and fled worse places than our country. 2016 has already gone to $h!t. Why should this election be any better? I better get cracking my history books because it looks right about 1933 to me and I ought to prepare my daughter for her Brave New World.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 pm

O.M.G. We've been Trumped...
At least our local press has been able to put a positive spin on it. :-)
The local yokel news

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:09 pm

I care that he's now going to destroy what I value. But it's okay. My grandchildren don't need a viable world to live in.

RavenShade, you've summed it up for me.

I think I've been mourning the loss of our future world. A man who doesn't believe in science or climate change will soon be in charge.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:27 pm

I kept thinking of the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline this morning. Because going into this, I couldn't imagine how Trump would win. Damn.

174 posts