A Fraud and a Charlatan

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:50 pm

Onward and downward

"How repealing Obamacare would punish the working class

The number of people without health insurance could more than double under Republican plans to repeal President Obama's Affordable Care Act, reaching nearly 59 million — or more than one in four Americans, according to a new analysis published Wednesday.

Without the subsidies or the requirement that all Americans have coverage, experts say the healthiest customers would cease buying insurance if they do not have policies through their employers or through the government. As a result, insurers would be forced to increase premiums to cover the cost of treating those sicker patients who remain. Many would find they could no longer afford coverage.

At this point, there’s no consensus on any replacement,” said Linda Blumberg, an economist and one of the authors of the report. She said that there is intellectual disagreement among Republicans about how to resolve the serious practical challenges involved in reforming health care. Indeed, several conservative commentators have warned that repealing the reform could be a risky strategy for Republicans if they cannot come up with a replacement in time.

broad disruptions could begin as soon as 2018 if Republicans cannot lay out a clear plan for reform. “At some level, this is a best-case scenario,” she said.

Of the 30 million who would become uninsured, 55 percent are poor or nearly poor, with incomes under twice the federal poverty threshold.

Blumberg pointed out one unexpected result from her group's research: After repeal, the country's health-care system could provide coverage to even fewer people than were insured before Obama enacted the reforms.

That is because despite costly premiums, millions of people without insurance through their employer or through the government bought insurance on the individual market before the reform. That market cannot be easily restored following repeal.
(that will include my daughter - bookfan)

In 2009, when Obama took office, about 50 million people were uninsured. The report projects that after repeal, 59 million people will lack coverage by 2019, compared to 29 million if the ACA remains in place.

The report was from the Health Policy Center at the Urban Institute"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/07/how-r ... 194d872ade2e

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:03 pm

"Trump’s EPA Pick Is Skeptical of More Than Just Climate Change

As Oklahoma attorney general, Scott Pruitt sued the federal government to prevent rules about air and water pollution from taking effect.

For what distinguishes Pruitt’s career is not just his opposition to using regulation to tackle climate change, but his opposition to using regulation to tackle any environmental problem at all. Since he was elected Oklahoma’s attorney general, in 2010, Pruitt has racked up a sizable record—impressive in its number of lawsuits if not in its number of victories—of suing the EPA."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/trumps-e ... ange/509960/

"Obama under mounting pressure to disclose Russia's role in US election

Now a group of senior House Democrats has also written to the president, seeking a classified briefing for colleagues on “Russian entities’ hacking of American political organizations; hacking and strategic release of emails from campaign officials; the WikiLeaks disclosures; fake news stories produced and distributed with the intent to mislead American voters; and any other Russian or Russian-related interference or involvement in our recent election.”

The letter was signed by Democratic whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland, as well as the top Democrats on the House judiciary, intelligence, armed services, foreign affairs and oversight committees. "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/07/obama-democrats-russia-role-elections

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:34 pm

On Taiwan:

"These excuses seemed weak after foreign policy experts predicted the Taiwan call would lead to a major breach with US policy, which has been in place since 1979. Then, they fell apart after the New York Times reported that the call was the result of a long-planned and well-funded lobbying effort by the Taiwanese themselves. According to the New York Times, it was all orchestrated by its paid foreign agent, Bob Dole, the former Republican presidential nominee and Senate leader.

“It’s fair to say that we had some influence,” Dole said.

Another president-elect might consider such money-making from national security dangerous, disloyal or worse. But Taiwan newspapers have reported that the Trump Organization itself is interested in a possible hotel project close to Taiwan’s international airport. According to the report, a sales manager visited Taiwan as recently as October, although a spokeswoman for the business said there were “no plans for expansion into Taiwan.”

Perhaps the Taiwan phone call is as innocent as Trump’s meeting with his Indian business partners just days before his business signed a new deal in Kolkata. Perhaps his phone call with the Argentine president has nothing to do with the re-starting of a long-stalled Buenos Aires tower.

In any case, these phone calls and policy shifts are beginning to follow a pattern, whether or not Ivanka Trump is taking part.

First there is a stunned reaction from foreign policy experts and the media at the brazen disregard for protocol and national interest. Then there is an attempt to explain away the dramatic shift as an inexperienced gaffe. Finally there is a realization that we have all been gamed by a manipulative and secret coterie that is in fact Trump’s inner circle."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/08/donald-trump-plays-dumb-dangerous-act

GPIG

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 am

“Were any group or militia of any persuasion to try that I don't think they'd get very far against the US military.

Vietnamese wearing black pajamas and sandals carrying no more than a bag of rice for food, mostly old world war II rifles for weapons did pretty well against us. A group of farmers also did ok fighting the world power of the time in the late 1700s. More recently, Mujahedeen in the mountains of Afghanistan took down a super power with AK-47s and some light shoulder launched rockets.

What makes you think the military would fight its own citizens? Especially when our constitution provides the military cannot be involved in domestic disputes. Military personnel, for the most part, are acutely aware of this. In fact, it is widely held most Generals would ignore orders to attack US citizens and never order their troops into any dispute with American citizens. Although Obama, through executive order made efforts to erode the Posse Coumitatus act.

What makes you think military personnel would stay in the military while not getting paid because there would be on tax income to pay them? What makes you think the military would pick up arms against their brothers, sisters, friends? Former combat trained soldiers are now citizens. Major Rogers showed us all how to fight and win against a superior force in the Revolutionary War. It’s no secret. It can be done, and has been done.

It is very difficult to legally own a fully automatic weapon in America. I know you don't believe that but go ahead and try.

About health care, maybe what some people are saying, why don't we figure out why there are 59 million poor in this country. Why does health insurance cost so much? What part do providers, drug companies, Insurance companies, fraud, etc. into it and why can't it be fixed to something that really works instead of a band aid that peels off. Schumer doesn't want to be part of a half ass solution? That's what we have now, that's what they gave us.

Why don't' we try to fix those things? Why does it cost $800 for a doctor to stick a needle of cortisone into my knee because I can't wait for clearance and I have to pay myself so I can work?

Thank you for your generous offer C. Cole CHoakley but I’m all good with where I get my information.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:08 am

"experts say the healthiest customers would cease buying insurance if they do not have policies through their employers or through the government. As a result, insurers would be forced to increase premiums to cover the cost of treating those sicker patients who remain"

If this were true and you believe it, can you tell me why then when Obamacare was instituted my families heath insurance went up? The deductible doubled to $8000 a year. The premium went down only $20 a month. You can say the premiums cost less, but the overall cost of it sure isn't close to being made up. The whopping $240 savings per year in premium is not going to make up the difference.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:34 am

I don't know what the fullness of your situation is or what plan you chose (Silver is the best). For low income people, that $8000 cap is actually adjusted down if you signed up for the Silver plan.

The fact that the costs would skyrocket if there was no requirement to get health insurance (no spread costs among us all, just costs among the sick who sign up) is not pertinent to the current increase of costs with Obamacare. Generally the subsidies go up go up to match increases, however.

What many democrats wanted was a public option with negotiated costs to control increases. We couldn't get everything (would prefer universal health care) so we have to work with what we have. Due to republican meddling, I think one program to help private insurers was trashed which affected costs and the current situation.

I would prefer including at least a public option and working to improve other aspects of Obamacare.

The benefits of Obamacare are huge. One that is often overlooked is NO CAP on spending on really sick people. So the very ill are not locked out at an arbitrary maximum and left to die or go bankrupt.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:44 am

"It is very difficult to legally own a fully automatic weapon in America."

You're quibbling over semantics. It's very easy to buy a rifle, whether you consider it automatic or not, that will fire bullets very rapidly. I don't give a damn what you call it, but nobody ouside the military has need of one of those.

"Why does health insurance cost so much? What part do providers, drug companies, Insurance companies, fraud, etc. into it and why can't it be fixed to something that really works instead of a band aid that peels off. Schumer doesn't want to be part of a half ass solution? That's what we have now, that's what they gave us.

Why don't' we try to fix those things? Why does it cost $800 for a doctor to stick a needle of cortisone into my knee because I can't wait for clearance and I have to pay myself so I can work? "

It costs so much because the insurance companies are making a killing off of charging you out the wazoo for premiums, and limiting care by have accountants decide what treatment you can get. It's largely because the Republicans are so "pro-business" and "anti social programs" that this exists. EVERY insurance company in America can negotiate drug prices, EXCEPT Medicare. It has to pay full freight. Why? Because Republicans.

"If this were true and you believe it, can you tell me why then when Obamacare was instituted my families heath insurance went up?"

It depends on what state you're in. In some cases, the states simply refused to either establish the exchanges or allow the expansion of Medicaid. These were mostly Republican governed states, and insurance premiums were sky high. Where the states did fully participate, rates largely came down, and many thousands of people were covered, some for the first time in their lives. But if you were reading reputable news sources, you'd already know this.

You may be good with where you're getting your information, but the kinds of questions you ask of us and the answers you give tell a story that you're not getting the full picture. If you really want to understand what's going on, read from the middle to the left and right, rather than just from the right.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:02 am

Lynx & bpatters - yes & yes.

I'd like to comment on news sources. My sister has been a journalist for 30 years, most of those at a big city, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper. I asked her why the press kept saying that Congress couldn't get anything done when it was Tea Party Republicans unwilling to work across the aisle who were causing it. She said respected, mainstream news organizations try mightily for balance, i.e. non-partisan reportage. This is how journalists are trained, along with not printing news until you have it well-sourced. Now obviously there are left-leaning and right-leaning news sources and bpatter's idea of starting in the middle & then reading to the left & right is a great idea.

If you go back, say, 20 years most people were getting news from tv - NBC, ABC, CBS, local newspapers & news magazines - Time, Newsweek, & US News & World Report. Certainly these tv & magazine news organizations were aiming for neutrality in reporting, as were many of the prominent city newspapers.

Now people get news from anywhere & everywhere with no idea about whether the site is in any way professional, using balance & good sourcing. And that's a big problem.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:13 am

"Democrats Plan Fight to Save Obamacare

A group of progressive advocacy groups will announce on Friday a coordinated effort to protect the beneficiaries of the Affordable Care Act and stop Republicans from repealing the law without first identifying a plan to replace it.

Organizers say they’ll announce details about the coalition on Friday, but the efforts could include rallies both in Washington and in the states and districts of Republican members of Congress."

Be watching for this in *your* neighborhood.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/how-dem ... peal/510056/

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Just needed to step out for a moment to order some hay for my voracious pigs.

"Russia and the Threat to Liberal Democracy

How Vladimir Putin is making the world safe for autocracy
With the end of the Cold War and the expansion of NATO and the EU to virtually all of Central and Eastern Europe, liberal democracy seemed ascendant and secure as never before in history.

Under the shrewd and relentless assault of a resurgent Russian authoritarian state, all of this has come under strain with a speed and scope that few in the West have fully comprehended, and that puts the future of liberal democracy in the world squarely where Vladimir Putin wants it: in doubt and on the defensive.

On the global chessboard, there has been no more deft and brilliant (and of late, lucky) player than Putin. From the early days of his presidency a decade and a half ago, he began to signal that he intended to make Russia great again, and that he saw this imperative as a zero-sum game: As the West gained friendships among post-communist states, Russia lost, and so everything possible had to be done to force Georgia, Ukraine, Moldova, and the Balkan states out of a Western liberal orientation and back into the greater Russian orbit."

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/12/russia-liberal-democracy/510011/

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:59 pm

"Donald Trump is bullying unions. He picked the wrong fight

It is repulsive but not shocking that Donald Trump, the billionaire businessman and president-elect, feels free to target Chuck Jones, the United Steelworkers local president, who is nothing short of a working-class hero...But Chuck has a slingshot, namely thousands of members in Indianapolis and a resistance movement that is stirring across our nation.

As Trump was insulting Jones he was also nominating Andrew Puzder to be labor secretary. Puzder is an even clearer reminder of Trump’s direction and true colors. Puzder is affiliated with the conservative American Enterprise Institute, and his career is all about extracting profits from fast-food workers wrapped in the ideological cloak of deregulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/donald ... -wrong-fight

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 pm

Obama Orders Intelligence Report on Russian Election Hacking

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/obama-russia-election-h ... nav=top-news

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:57 pm

Going back to read all your links in a bit but I wanted to comment about "...no idea about whether the site is in any way professional, using balance & good sourcing".

In this election, the fair and balanced failed in mainstream media because there were tons of Trump issues vs. <bounce> "emails". This gave more weight to the nothingburger emails and failed to convey the serious problems with Trump. Comparisons of the two foundations were crazy. More nothingburger vs. fraud. How the heck can you compare the two or feel like you have to bring up the Clinton foundation's imaginary issues when you are dealing with REAL issues with Trump?

I don't recall if an article on false equivalencies was posted here - it's something I read recently and can't lay my hands on (wine).

By the way, there are so many horrible changes pending - how does one activate and address them all?

I fear the most devastating changes will be slipped in and affect us for years. They will be torturing us in so many ways, from so many sides.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:14 am

It's all over the news in Europe that Russia hacked the elections to make Trump win, CIA confirmed.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:50 am

Pigjes, President Obama has ordered an investigation about the Russia influence on our election.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:12 pm

“I just love the armed forces. Their spirit is so incredible. I don’t know if it’s necessarily the best football. Trump said.

Trump at the Army Navy football game today, the greatest football game in the world and that's what he came away with? I was in high school, playing football in both Florida and NJ - long story and not one of my prouder accomplishments - when I went to a Notre Dame/Navy football game by myself during the only Saturday I had off for like 20 weeks.

Notre Dame was ranked 1 or 2 in country and was winning something like 56 - 0 late in the game. ND punted to Navy and the kid taking the punt looked up at the ball, then looked up field and saw an All American who would be playing on Sundays in a year unblocked, running full speed drawing a bead on him. All the Navy kid had to do was put his hand up, take the fair catch and not get hit. But he didn't, he caught the ball and took the hit. I never saw or heard a harder hit before or since. The kid held onto the ball, the Navy sideline went crazy, the kid jumped up, the ND kid amazed, patted him on his helmet. That was Navy's victory, they didn't care about the score, they knew they couldn't beat them on the scoreboard so they took the best players best hit and that's all that mattered. Even the ND sideline all stood up and applauded what they just saw. That was Navy's victory and I related. That was the day I decided for sure I would join the Marines.

Maybe Trump is just a hopeless moron and will never get it if he can't see something so simple. Don't think i don't allow that may be the case.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Some of what I read today:

A Primer on FBI Trump Electioneering with storyline and sources
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/8/1608876/-A-Primer- ... -and-sources

"My evidence for the agency’s Partisan Politicization was the rampant FBI election leaks with which some may be unfamiliar. Assembling well sourced and public FBI leak reports like this provides a storyline that might be more compelling than our faulty memories of scattered individual reports. In any case, we should not forget."
Related to the above:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama ... cb4a9ff6fc1e

Secret CIA assessment says Russia intervened not just to meddle but specifically to elect Trump
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/9/1609342/-Secret-CIA- ... -elect-Trump

The Obamacare Economy: More Jobs (+15M), Rising Middle Class Incomes (+$3K), Lower Deficit (-2/3rds)
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/8/1564305/-The-Obama ... ficit-2-3rds

Lots of graphs showing the positive effects on the economy of Obamacare.

This is big. This is devastating:
Social Security under immediate attack
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/9/1609165/-Social-Security-under-immediate-attack

A republican plan to gut social security, gut benefits.

Related:
House Republicans introduce bill to slash Social Security, daring Trump to keep promise to save it
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/9/1609226/-House-Repub ... e-to-save-it
http://www.socialsecurityworks.org/2016/12/09/rep-sam-johnso ... ican-people/

We will have an uninformed president who doesn't care about intelligence briefings:
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/9/1609079/-This-is-n ... ce-briefings
"Mike Pence has been reading intelligence briefings, but it is downright scary the soon-to-be Commander-in-Chief isn’t personally reading these critical reports. It’s part of the job. Not doing so is utter incompetence."

Inauguration committee blocking access to dc mall for protests - no million women march!
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/9/1608932/-Trump-Don ... Inauguration
"The Guardian ( https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/08/womens-march-on-washington-lincoln-memorial )reports that the NPS, on behalf of the Presidential Inauguration Committee, filed a “massive omnibus blocking permit” to block off much of the National Mall, Pennsylvania Avenue, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial for the inauguration. The permit secures these public spots for “days and weeks before and after” the January 20 event, which means the locations won’t be available for protests."

A really thoughtful read -
How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/9/1609406/-How-Democrats-Killed-Their-Populist-Soul

This last one should be widely shared. That's what the author hopes.

One voice on resistance, awareness:
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/9/1609029/-Yale-Hist ... p-presidency

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:02 pm

"Of course Trump's cabinet picks are ridiculous—they're meant to be ridiculous—just like his campaign"
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/9/1609169/-Of-course ... his-campaign

Trump is purposely nominating the most ridiculous people to positions. A moving target. Missing the goal. The author of the page believes the MVP is the justice department because that's how he get's away with not being prosecuted.

A commentor below adds, "One of the classic tactics of mind control is to engage and consume followers with so many details and distractions so that they don’t have the time or energy to think about anything else. It works, too. That’s why it is classic."

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:57 am

I haven't read the articles yet, but *wows* all over to the headlines and your highlights.

"In this election, the fair and balanced failed in mainstream media because there were tons of Trump issues vs. <bounce> "emails". This gave more weight to the nothingburger emails and failed to convey the serious problems with Trump. Comparisons of the two foundations were crazy. More nothingburger vs. fraud. How the heck can you compare the two or feel like you have to bring up the Clinton foundation's imaginary issues when you are dealing with REAL issues with Trump? "

I don't understand the terminology - nothingburger? <bounce> emails?

pigjies -
Not surprise it's all over Europe. From what I've read Putin's making the same efforts in Europe in order to break up NATO & the EU by promoting nationalism in order to give himself free reign to expand into the countries that were once part of the USSR.

One note: "to make Trump win". They said "to try to make Trump win". It would be difficult to prove that it worked.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:12 pm

That should have been "free rein". And Putin probably had something to do with the Brexit vote outcome.

177 posts