How to Fight Back

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 am

Although a couple great ideas have been posted, I thought this page is absolutely outstanding in addressing what we can do. It is totally worth a read. I may excerpt parts of it later:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/15/1611226/-Know-You ... ide-the-Head

And here, "A Practical Guide For Resisting the Trump Agenda". This also outlines successful teapart strategies.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DzOz3Y6D8g_MNXHNMJYAz1b41_cn535aU5UsN7Lj8X8/mobilebasic
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodsdeepin

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Well that article hits the nail on the head. Most republicans I try to reason with go straight to defense with phrases like: "You're a murderer if you support Killary!" or "God will save us all; it doesn't matter what happens to the environment." and then my personal favorite that I've heard a few times now: "Trump said it was OK, so it's OK". How do you reason with that type of thinking?? You can't. But we still try. And they try. But there is still this gap of the ability to reason.

So I bought a nasty woman shirt and now I wear it with a smile on my face when I go places where it's mostly conservatives (like the building i work in sometimes). Also I've started replying with Happy Yuletide to everyone who wishes me a Merry Christmas when normally I would say Happy Holidays. The latter is quite fun. But I'm pagan....so I shouldn't have to watch what I say in regards to my spirituality when no one else does. And I call out everyone that I hear saying hateful things. But I don't argue (because that goes no where). That's currently how I'm fighting back on the micro-scale.

Cannot wait for the Women's March! It's going to be epic. BUT things like that will have to continue, and not just be a one-time thing (like the article says) if we want to get the point across. Just like the NODAPL protests. They were heard. They set up camp for months and are still going strong. And they won! For now....

I would love to read your google docs attachment but it will not allow me to open it?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 pm

There was a stray quote mark at the end. I removed it and the link should work now.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:03 pm

A fighting speech by Jerry Brown to The American Geophysical Union. Not the most polished speech but packs a punch:

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/12/this-is-what-the-resistance-sounds-like/510899/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:34 pm

A good speech. There will be satellites!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 pm

The google docs article has become so popular that they set up a website for it and turned it into a super downloadable pdf. They've been incorporating more ideas into it.

Find it here:
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/

A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR RESISTING THE TRUMP AGENDA

Former congressional staffers reveal best practices for making Congress listen.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:54 am

Lynx, thank you so much for giving the link. I've printed it out for future reference.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:56 pm

The Indivisible Guide site has a link to local groups.

Move On dot Org is a good place to find resistance opportunities:

http://front.moveon.org/

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

Just got a call from a neighbor who's organizing a meeting a la indivisible guide. Hope we can accomplish something (with enough people participating nationwide) & this will give me an outlet for all my anger & anxiety.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 am

I'm in an indivisible group, as well as a couple of local Democratic clubs (google them in your area), and several Pantsuit Republic groups.

If there are Pantsuit groups (NOT Pantsuit Nation -- they turned out to be useless) in your area, join them. One of the things I do is cull all the action items out of them, plus others that I see, and create an email that goes out to people who don't use Facebook or just want a clearer, more concise list of things they can do.

I start it off with urgent calls to be made that day, followed by a one-line only list of action items, then by more details on the actions, usually just a link to where they can get more info about the actions.

It's been way more popular than I ever expected, and am up to nearly 150 people on my distribution list. I'm having to split it into two emails because Yahoo won't let me send that many at once. And we're moving to a email list server this week that one of my cousins runs in Alabama -- he's donating the space.

If you're interested in what they look like, contact me through the mailer and I'll send you one.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:18 am

Just heard America Ferrera's speech starting the Women's March. It was just terrific!

I'm wondering if Lynx is there. My niece is - can't wait to hear about it. We're having a march here today - I'm not physically up to it & also I'm sick, but my husband is there. I think it is so cool that there are marches across the country & world.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Another great speech by Elizabeth Warren in Boston.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:38 pm

No, I am not there. Not in body. But in heart.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I went to the one here in Houston -- it was awesome! So glad I did.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Super! There is so much positive energy out there! My daughter said she was going to track down one to attend in NYC. I hope she had fun ;-)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 am

DH went to the one in St. Louis. Wish I could have gone.

And we have to take that positive energy & organize & keep it going.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Are any of you doing the 10 days of activism in the first 100 days?

I went to the march in Des Moines, there were 26,000 there, and they expected only 10,000.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 pm

The ten days of activism look good. I'm sharing that with my email distribution list of 130+ people -- it's all the actions I can find that look legitimate.

The best thing you can down is put the national, state and local officials that represent you in your cell phone, all their numbers, and CALL CALL CALL when something is going down.

It doesn't help to call legislators in other districts unless they are committee chairs and you want to comment on a bill they're working on or committee action that they're taking. Legislators will only pay attention to the people in their own districts.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 pm

We're going to a meeting at 2:00. I will suggest keeping the phone numbers handy - my husband's got them & maybe we'll bring some. Maybe the organizer has done this. I did forward what you sent (copied & pasted into a new email) to our hosts.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 pm

So much energy. 10 days of activism in 100 days sounds like a great idea!

Each activist is likely to do more good than Trump.

And if you missed this page of pictures from all over the world of the Woman's March, they are wonderful!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/21/world/womens-march-pictures.html

63 posts