US Detention Centers

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 am

Has anyone else been following what has been going on with these so-called "migrant detention centers"?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/us/undocumented-migrant-child ... s/index.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/immigrant-children-walmart_us_5b2d2ee7e4b0321a01d0dc26

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homestead-florida-immigration-d ... -2018-06-22/

https://www.msnbc.com/mtp-daily/watch/inside-border-detentio ... 259433027703

I'm in shock. My husband recently made me aware of this, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about what's going on at these facilities. (Where are all of the "Right to Lifers" when it comes to the issue of caging and abusing children?!)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:47 am

It is horrific.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2018

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes, I'm absolutely ... beyond furious? Kidnapping of children because their parents sought asylum--which is completely legal? (What is the next outrage that will top this one? Ugh, we will surely find out.) I went to a Boston protest on Wednesday. There are demonstrations on June 30.

Not just the children--every shred of decency in our national culture is being disappeared. Just maybe this time they've gone too far?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:22 pm

It's inhumane. And what makes it even worse is that the government is paying $775 per day per child to house them, much of it to private companies who're lobbying for the policy.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Trump has crossed the line with this. I'm just so shocked and embarrassed. How in the hell did we let ourselves fall so far?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:58 pm

He has crossed so many lines. He and his terrible appointees have ruined so many lives.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm

It's horrifying.

"$775 per day per child to house them, much of it to private companies who're lobbying for the policy."

Wow. Trump & friends are pure corruption, thru & thru.

(Where are all of the "Right to Lifers" when it comes to the issue of caging and abusing children?!)

Yeah.

Many (most?) of these families are fleeing terrible conditions in Central America: drug cartels & vicious gangs. They're fleeing because they fear for their lives.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 pm

This is good:

Battle Hymn of the Republic - Modified for Relevance

sef1268

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Very good.

I have tried for two days to reach someone in charge of the demonstration closest to me (not all that close, but worth the drive) on June 30, but there has been no response. :( Was hoping they could at least tell me if anyone else from my area is registered to attend so that I could go with somebody, but I guess I may have to just show up on my own and hope for the best.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Bookfan, that's great! I've seen some of the other things he's been involved in. This was executed so well.

And alas, so true.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:55 am

I have a solution, yes I do. Most of these people coming here are hard working people who want to work and support their families. Contradictory to popular belief they are all not killers, rapists and child molesters. All they want is to work, and by the way we need the labor force, but let' do it he right way.

I think Barron Trump looks like he may have a guinea pig or two, so Baron, if you're reading please tell your old man this; I will sponsor a person who wants to work, give him a job, keep track that he pays taxes and goes about a process of obtaining green card or whatever towards citizenship or staying for mandatory amount of time. I will even try to teach him some English since that seems like such an overwhelming insurmountable problem to the Kentucky Derby crowd (which I love by the way, but I'm always going to be an infield guy - I mean the belles with the huge pink hats and their hubbies dressed in pressed dockers, loafers and blue blazers). Actually, I'll do two families, I can always use hard workers and so can every small business owner. Now we only now need about 50, 123 more people to sponsor someone coming into the country to work.

Putting kids in jail costing tons of money isn't the answer, heck nice hotels are much cheaper. I wish my plan could work, and it could, I guess I should say would work but won't. So in the meantime I think people coming into this country by way of Rio Grande better not bring kids cause this dick (sorry Barron) does mean what he is saying. He is going to stop illegal immigration, he has to deliver on at least one campaign promise. Why? Hate to say this to everyone here but it's because he's going to run again, and don't think he doesn't have a shot at being reelected, he does. Of course he doesn't have a plan like I do and it would be nice if someone other than gpig had a plan. It's pretty pathetic I have a better plan than the president but there you have it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Those who hate Trump and would never vote for him are fired up for the next election.

I don't think there is any way he could win again.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Read this article to understand why the refugees are seeking asylum here.

‘There Is No Way We Can Turn Back.’ Why Thousands of Refugees Will Keep Coming to America Despite Trump’s Crackdown
http://time.com/5318718/central-american-refugees-crisis/

Gusman’s story illustrates the brutality that is pushing many to leave the Northern Triangle of Central America, which includes Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, and seek refuge in nearby countries, including Mexico and the United States.

“People are desperate. I don’t know what evil you pick,” i.e. fleeing to the US or staying in their violent country.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't go to the protest because I can't get off work. My husband is going.

Watch out for agents provocateurs - people planted by Russia to start violence. It further polarizes Americans and looks to the world like we're falling apart. The true Russian goal is to divide the country, to weaken us so Trump can stay in power, weaken NATO, weaken Western trade connections, the EU (Brexit) etc. to increase their power to do things like invade Ukraine.

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but really, this is what I think is happening.
I think it's possible for him to win. His opposition, we, need to be able to draw from Independents, moderates and all the way to the left. I'm not talking about who I agree with most (candidate-wise). I'm thinking about strategy with a single minded purpose of dumping Trump, and we need as many people as possible. Bernie, for example, is too far left for a lot of people we need to draw in. 'Course 2018 won't be a presidential election.

And then throw in Russian active measures.

They've been doing this stuff for decades - they're the masters at it - but it's so much easier with the internet. They're already setting up to skew out 2018 elections & nothing is being done about it here.
Last edited by Bookfan on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Lynx -
Have you seen the "sounds of silence" one??

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Opinion of Andrew Laufer,
Civil Rights Atty - Justice Is Blind,But I'm Not - Police Brutality, False Arrest, Malicious Prosecution, BOD of NYS Trial Lawyers Assoc.,AAJ, NPAP
Of course I can't prove that he's any of these things. But I like what he has to say.

"His (Trump's) handlers want to create economic and political conditions in America akin to 1933 Germany. That allows a complete and total realignment of the world order and an America which is a mere nuisance to global criminal enterprise. Not going to happen."

Think about all the things Trump's doing that are negatively affecting the economy.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes, I saw the Sound of Silence one.

Yes, there is documentation that Russian provocateurs initiated some of the unrest in the 2016 primary.

sef1268

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:50 am

I look for Trump to be re-elected. Actually, I look for him to be in power for a very long time. Once a dictator gets in, it's hard to get him out. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe we'll have another legitimate election in my lifetime. Too much money, too much corruption...too powerful an outside influencer in Russia. They're not going to risk giving the people a voice.

I fear even darker days ahead, my friends.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 am

Those ideas hover in the back of my mind, sef. I try to keep them there & not give up hope.

Huh. Fancy that - and at $700 per child per night:

Bethany Christian Services, which has links to the family of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, has fostered out at least 81 children taken from their parents at the U.S. border.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/06/26/bethany-christian-services-family-separation-betsy-devos/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Mueller will get all the criminals - and there are lots - but I'm not sure what happens after that. Remember, Mueller took down John Gotti by getting his lieutenants to flip. And that's what happening now. I think Cohen is flipping & that will be devastating for Trump.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Re. Mueller:

Senator Mark Warner reportedly hints at ‘wild stuff’ coming from Mueller probe

“If you think you’ve seen wild stuff so far, buckle up. It’s going to be a wild couple of months.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2018/06/25/viney ... M/story.html

From Representative John Lewis - civil rights legend:

Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year, it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Also watch out for provokatsiya (Provokatsiya can take various forms. One ploy is to create a stir using a fake website.) & deza - disinformation on social media.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/collegeofjournalism/entries/c1e6a130-1fcf-3a70-bb9a-d8b245641dea

23 posts