And in Other Trump News & Weather...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks for that link. I hadn't read it but took time to do so.

They tried to be very nice about calling a spade a spade. I wonder who will see the light.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm

I ran across this link. What destruction he has wrought.

Tracking deregulation in the Trump era
https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/tracking-deregulation-in-the-trump-era/

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 am

I want to read all of this a lot more closely, but a cursory glance of just the environmental policy changes and/or roll-backs is very depressing. Imagine what he'll do in another 4 years, and the lasting effects all of this will have on generations to come. Even if, by some miracle, a Democrat should win in 2020, it will take years to try to undo some of the damage Trump has done---if it can be undone.

In "A Warning" by Anonymous, Trump is quoted as saying "I won't be here when it [the economy] all blows up." That is already certainly his mentality when it comes to every other bad policy decision he's making right now. Who cares if our kids won't be able to breathe in 50 years or they're all eating Soylent Green? He won't be here to see it. And in the meantime, he's making all of the special interest groups very happy.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Not sure if this had already been posted but i found it very worrying if it is accurate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/youre-a-bunch-of-dop ... s/ar-BBZ3qsx

Not a very respectful way to treat those who have chosen to serve regarding them essentially as mercenaries and an income source.

It might explain some of Mattis's comments about him after he stepped down.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:55 pm

It's being widely reported today, and is totally believable.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm

A pretty explosive article. Makes trump out to be the described-by-Tillerson f'ing moron so many have believed he has always been.

I second the believability.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:40 pm

It's believable to me in substance but I don't think that particular meeting took place. First, Trump wouldn't go to that office, he has no place there (people think and work there). No seriously, It would be a spot for exactly what allegedly took place, an ambush, he would know that. What would the agenda for the meeting be to get him there?

Contrary to belief he's not stupid, he is ignorant but not dumb. He has rolled over the people who have thought him stupid, ask Hillary. He made it to be president because he's not stupid, he has instincts.

Is Trump any more uneducated than George Jr? I think the answer is yes and no. Jr certainly had no more formal or informal education (reading, teaching himself). They both went to what we hear are good colleges, which shows how much that counts. I think Jr had at least the education of watching his old man in Government, and was able to understand he needed to have people do the jobs he couldn't do, even if the people he chose were unethical.

Trump, has a business education and I think has a good understanding of some complex financial issues. However, when it comes to the really important things neither of them has an education. They were capable of being taught or teaching themselves but didn't because one's a narcissist, and the other's resume was nothing more than lazy chief in charge of keggers.

Trump is dangerous and was always going to be dangerous, I knew that. I thought more people would have their eyes opened to what I think is the problem and that we would be spending time on analyzing the question, how did this man become President, and WHY did so many people vote for a guy who has acted exactly like the spoiled brat we all knew he would act like, and are prepared to do it again? He isn't fooling anyone, well he is fooling some people (think NASCAR, sorry) but not enough to be elected. There is a reason.

I don't see Americans believing the same thing I do, we are at one of the most important junctures in our history. Maybe I'm all wrong but I believe we have been choosing leaders for a long time who have no business serving, don't understand what serving is because they are only self serving. I believe compromise is needed, I believe people need to work together and not just say that at election time. People have to be big enough to say I think I'm right but maybe this other person knows more so let's try it there way. It has to be give and take on both sides in fact there only should be one side, the peoples side. Everyone needs to get on board and if they aren't smart enough to do that, off with there heads

Our country has wealth and technology like the world couldn't imagine 30 years ago, and what do we do with it? We have "elephant walks" with 52 F35's taking off all at once.

History will say we had a chance, but...............

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 pm

I do challenge your saying he has a good understanding of complex financial issues. He doesn't even know how tariffs work so I would knock him down several pegs. He did poorly in school.

There were multiple people attending so I imagine if he was not present in the tank, we will find out about it.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:33 pm

How about I amend to he has a good ability to conive his way through personal business using other people's money, and using his money to bull people over and get his own way. I don't know about interantional trade, sometimes I think he does have a comand of it and others I don't. Seeing as I don't understand complex economics I'll hold off on an educated opinion.

I shouuld also say I meant personal business not business of the country, he has no ability to understand anything requiring patient learning from a teacher, or reading, he's impulsive. He's a bull in a china shop, but it has worked for him.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Excuse me, I'm hoping one of those f35s, depending on who gets them, will be my ride in a few years. Move onto another example, please.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 pm

He has managed to successfully leave other people holding the bag a lot of times.

Trump's understanding of tariffs:

How Trump Thinks Tariffs Work (And How They Actually Work)
To make the case for his trade war with China, the president is relying on blatant falsehoods and misconceptions.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/trumps-tar ... orks/589351/

I would have to go looking for the economic articles I read (I only pretend to understand economics) but all the tariffs being paid are really just taxes we are paying on the goods.

p.s. here's one article on the effect of the tariffs at one point in time:

Cost to U.S. consumers, businesses of Trump's China tariffs surged in June - trade group
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-tariffs-idUSKCN1UX2H7
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A whopping 74% increase in tariffs since last year added $6 billion in extra costs for U.S. consumers and businesses, a pro-trade group said on Wednesday as it warned additional tariffs threatened by President Donald Trump would further hit demand and hurt jobs.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:45 pm

And yet, Trump is convinced that he is a genius ("I think I would qualify as not smart but genius...and a very stable genius at that!"):

Trump on campaign finance: "I think nobody knows more about campaign finance than I do, because I'm the biggest contributor."

Trump on the courts: "I know more about the courts than any human being on Earth."

On ISIS: "I know more ISIS than the generals do."

On the US Government: "Nobody knows the system better than I do."

On drone technology: "I know more about drones than anybody. I know about every form of safety that you can have."

Trump on Trump: "Yeah, I get it. I'm pretty smart, okay?"

When asked with whom he consults: "I'm speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I've said a lot of things... My primary consultant is myself and I have, you know, I have a good instinct for this stuff."

When asked why he isn't interested in daily intelligence reports, "I’m, like, a smart person. I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day."

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 pm

The truth is so stark.

I just finished watching "The Great Hack" on Netflix. It came out last summer, about the Cambridge Analytica/Facebook scandal and the harvesting of data from each of us.

Excellently put together. Chilling. Creating a world of hate and fear, a world where dictators reign.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

Only two Republicans had any integrity in the vote today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/31/politics/senate-impeachment-trial-last-day/index.html

Another nail in the coffin for Democracy.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm

I think Romney did the right thing. I think Collins is just trying to save her neck and would not have voted that way if her vote had made a real difference. She is such a sham.

Rep. Schiff gave a compelling closing argument before the vote on allowing witnesses. He is a master.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:39 pm

Agree 100%.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Ditto. This is all so depressing.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Very depressing indeed. This was the moment when the Republic became a dictatorship, as Bill Maher points out here:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/01/27/maher_on_i ... ?jwsource=cl

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:56 am

I'm in a real funk over this. I know deep down that allowing the witnesses most likely would not have changed the outcome; Trump will always prevail. But I just can't wrap my brain around any of this. They certainly wanted to hear every piece of evidence and testimony when it was Bill Clinton. And if this had been Barack Obama? His Presidency and career would have been OVER regardless of whether or not he was actually guilty of anything.

In other news...anybody catch this latest stupidity? --
Trump Pretends to Conduct National Anthem

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm really having trouble too. I'm very upset. I agree about witnesses too. If Bolton had testified with really damning evidence it wouldn't have made a difference. The Republicans would have used the same argument against impeachment.

From what I've observed, since about the 1990's or earlier, the Republican's have been the bad guys (e.g. unwilling to compromise on any legislation) and have been getting worse. For the last 8 years or so, the Dems have been playing by the rules & the Reps have been breaking them. For example Moscow Mitch's refusal to bring to the Senate floor the nomination of Merrick Garland for Supreme Court Justice. Of course you win when you cheat and the other side doesn't. And, of course, that's happening big time now.

I think once Trump knows he has complete power (tomorrow) he's going to start going after enemies - Schiff is probably near the top. Trump already has an enemies list.

179 posts