And in Other Trump News & Weather...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:00 pm

From your Night of the Long Knives link, Sef:
At least 85 people died during the purge, although the final death toll may have been in the hundreds, with high estimates running from 700 to 1,000. More than a thousand perceived opponents were arrested. The purge strengthened and consolidated the support of the Wehrmacht for Hitler.
Chilling.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Night of the Long Knives? I love history too much.

Make no mistake, the SA was as bad or worse than the Wehrmacht. Ernst Rohm was every bit the psychopath Himmler was and that is what the Night of the Long Knives came down to - the dismantling of the SA from top to bottom and Himmler's understanding that the SA was too powerful and had to be eliminated for him to be a top dog. Unfortunately for Rohm, he didn't know it was happening until it was too late.

Hitler searched for a way to save Rohm but there was no way out, Hitler's hand was forced. So the analogy really isn't accurate. Hitler began as an SA, he was a brown shirt, they all did really. Himmler ran the Gestapo and by eliminating the SA Himmler became more powerful.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Ah I see. It was motivated by Himmler & he was the one consolidating power. Yeah, I know the SA were bad actors.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:41 am

It sure didn't hurt Hitler. We will never know what might have been but in Hitler's inner circle conniving for power by scheming and backstabbing was encouraged by Hitler himself. His management technique was extremely dysfunctional. Speer's book is important in this regard, it is the only writing of how Hitler's inner circle functioned written by an insider. The book falls short, focusing too much on Speer trying to convince the world Speer is really a good guy. He wasn't, I know you know that.

I think we could safely say Hitler and Trump both had a dysfunctional management style in common.

Himmler, Goering, and Goebbels all had good reason to fear Rohnn and his SA. Rohnn however, had no ability to scheme and connive for power, he was dead set loyal to his Fuhrer and did more to put him in position than any of the others. Rohnn was a very good soldier, more so than any of the crew that would end up running things with the possible exception of Heydrich, but he never even saw the possibility of Hitler not returning his loyalty. The swiftness and efficiency of the Night of Long Knives is the remarkable part of the story. And that was all Himmler, and some Heydrich.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 am

My husband was a history major and explained some of this to me earlier. It's quite fascinating. I could see something like this happening within the Republican party under Trump at some point. There is already a concerted effort underway to ruin Romney for voting his conscience, and Trump Jr. has hinted that Romney needs to be thrown out of the party.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:54 am

Vengeance can backfire. The repubs look so much like a cult.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm

"I could see something like this happening within the Republican party under Trump at some point."
That's just the point. No one's safe.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Speer managed to evade the sentence of hanging. He claimed he was never completely aware of what was going on with the Jews. There's some physical evidence available now that confirms he had knowledge of everything that was going on. He was in the loop, so to speak.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm

He was using them for slave labor, getting them from concentration camps until too weak to work.

The Good Nazi - there were no good nazis

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:10 pm

The Only Good Nazi......

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:26 pm

...yeah.

From Wiki:
Speer was photographed with slave laborers at Mauthausen concentration camp in 1942. Taylor writes had the photo been available at the Nuremberg trials he would have been hanged.[160] In 2005, The Daily Telegraph reported that documents had surfaced indicating that Speer had approved the allocation of materials for the expansion of Auschwitz concentration camp after two of his assistants inspected the facility on a day when almost a thousand Jews were massacred.[161] Heinrich Breloer, discussing the construction of Auschwitz, said Speer was not just a cog in the work—he was the "terror itself".[161]

Speer denied being present at the Posen speeches to Nazi leaders at a conference in Posen (Poznan) on October 6, 1943. Himmler said during his speech, "The grave decision had to be taken to cause this people to vanish from the earth".,[162] and later, "The Jews must be exterminated".[163] Speer is mentioned several times in the speech, and Himmler addresses him directly.[163] In 2007, The Guardian reported that a letter from Speer dated December 23, 1971, had been found in a collection of his correspondence with Hélène Jeanty, the widow of a Belgian resistance fighter. In the letter, Speer says, "There is no doubt—I was present as Himmler announced on October 6, 1943, that all Jews would be killed."[

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 pm

For anyone who thinks both parties are exactly the same, I respectfully submit:

“This is a president declaring himself above the law”: A former ethics chief on Trump’s dangerous new era

"Trump implicitly linked the possible end of punitive travel restrictions the federal government took against citizens of New York with the state’s Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) doing favors for him, including ending investigations of his finances. In short, he attempted an extortionate quid pro quo, right out in public."

Show me a Democrat in recent times who has had such blatant disregard for the law, our Constitution, and the American people.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Yeah.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:48 am

Some disturbing news about the new acting Director of National Intelligence. Putting an incompetent person in such an important position! Be prepared for more whistle blowers (I hope) from the intelligence community.

Trump's new head of Intelligence is unqualified, but that's not the only reason he's dangerous
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/22/1920848/-Trump-s- ... -s-dangerous

Trump doesn't want the American public to know that Russia is trying to get him elected. He will do anything to win the election. Very angry about the House Intelligence Committee's briefing on interference.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 am

It just gets worse and worse.

Also, notice that Grennell is "acting" DNI---a common theme with Trump appointees:
Trump's Government Full of Temps

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:12 am

Grennell is one scary dude.

Yes, "acting" whatever means trump can place one of his minions without congressional approval. So they're totally trump's creatures.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Totally usurping any oversight!

GPIG

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Fear not. This is a good move for America. This guy is very unqualified. Would you want a really capable spook and leader who knows all that is as loyal as he is to Trump in that position? I don't think so.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:22 pm

I can see where you're coming from.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:01 am

194 posts