Politics Done Right on Youtube!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:20 pm

This is not quite where this topic will go (probably will be more political ads) but is an update to one of my favorite songs. I just adore this song to begin with and this rendition rocks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 pm

I ran across this one on youtube. It just made me cry.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Wow! Very moving.

Back in the 70's there was a minor incident at a small, exclusive mall. There was a black man shopping & police approached him. I don't remember what ensued, nothing memorable. The point is he was targeted because he was black (shopping "while black"). This is the man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Early

I probably heard about this because I worked for Washington U. at the time and the entire community was incensed. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying education or status make any difference in Black Lives Matter. It's just a memory that popped into mind.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:59 am

I'm posting this here vs. under the trump thread because it doesn't really seem to fit there. I had a situation that came up yesterday and just need to vent.

My boss sent an email to the executive director of our state's largest trade organization for our industry yesterday. It was entitled "A little humor at this highly politicized time..." and was a link to a YouTube video. I manage my boss's email account, and it happened that I was involved in something with this trade organization yesterday that led me to open the email. The "humor" ended up being the song "I think my dog is a Democrat" from 4 years ago, during the Hillary campaign. I'm not going to post the link here, but the last line of the song says something to the effect that the guy's dog is a welfare-loving, "flea-bitten Democrat." The head of the trade organization had responded, "Haha! This is great! Catchy tune, too."

I shouldn't have listened to the video when I realized what it was, granted, but how inappropriate to send something like that to the head of this large, supposedly "bipartisan" trade organization? My boss knows that I'm a staunch Democrat and would likely see what he sent. And yes---we relied on Medicaid to help us during my husband's illness, so I guess I'm no better than the "dog" in the video who gets a handout.

It just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:56 pm

No kidding! What I fall back on is the "there but for the grace of god go I" which perhaps does not have true religious roots but really says it all - you can think you are above it all - but Covid has shown the vast vulnerabilities that lie everywhere. Our lives can turn on a dime. Climate change will show up more. We are all vulnerable.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:50 am

I'm not sure this has been posted before, but this animated video is pretty well-done:

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:50 am

That was really good. I've been listening to the book "John Adams" while I ride the exercise bike and it is painful to hear about our founding fathers creating a new country while the monster in the White House is tearing it down, all these years later.

I'm going to look for more by this group, but "Bye, bye miss American pie" brings back so many memories...

RE: "there but for the grace of god go I" - what I fall back on is "There but for fortune go you & I" from a Joan Baez song.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:03 pm

I think I may have seen it before (not sure) but still good to rewatch. Great singer! The words ring crisp and true.

I had to track down Joan Baez - I had not heard that song for years. I always loved it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:14 pm

I will definitely listen to this shortly. I love, love, love Joan Baez.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:17 pm

Sef, I would be furious about the emails sent between your boss and the trade organization executive director. Why is it that company execs get by with this kind of thing?

The emails were offensive and inappropriate, and using company time and resources to send them is most likely a violation of company policy. That's the kind of irresponsible activity that ends up exploited on social media and gets people fired.

If HR or Public Affairs knew about this, they would have something to say because they're the ones that would be questioned about your boss's actions. If any other employee had sent something like this, they would probably be reprimanded.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 pm

I'd probably be hacked off about the email as well. But don't forget he stuck up for you about the work from home thing. Under the circumstances, I'd let it go.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:29 am

Exactly, which is why I'm venting here and not to him.

He's also the president of our company, so I have to bite my tongue regardless.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Agreed, he did stick up for you regarding WFH. But I'd have a tough time trusting him too much.

I just don't know why people continue to send things like this via email. Everyone reports to someone, so there's always someone collecting data and storing it. People used to do things like this when I worked at the county, and they were careless with instant messaging as well thinking it just disappeared after the message was sent.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Agree. I just wish he'd keep his political views to himself, in the workplace.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1