#Dump Trumperdink

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:34 am

This is regarding my beloved Wisconsin (where I was raised but don't currently live) and one of my favorite movies!

The cast of Princess Bride is doing a live reading to benefit Wisconsin Dems. They had me at #DumpTrumperdinck

Wisconsinites unite! Non-Wisconsonites help Wisconsin go blue!

Cary_Elwes - Sep 4
#Inconceivable! I’m excited to announce a virtual #PrincessBrideReunion! Chip in any amount at the link & get an invite to this special event on Sun. Sept. 13th with myself, @RealRobinWright , @PatinkinMandy , @robreiner & many more!

#DumpTrumperdinck
A Princess Bride Reunion (exclusive event)
Chip in any amount to join us for this exclusive Princess Bride Reunion! It's only going to be livestreamed once.

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/princess-bride-reunion?refcode=url&amount=27

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:27 am

Haven't watched that movie in a while but it's one of the best!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:32 am

Agree! So many great lines!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:29 am

Over the years, there have been almost no movies that I have purchased - but this was one I did! Unfortunately, I can't watch it (VHS tape) but still remember it fondly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm

A little leary. Guy called me this evening supposedly from the Biden campaign; he called me by name and said that I was on his list as a registered Democrat. He was friendly and persuasive; said we have too much at stake in November to leave anything to chance, and asked if I had seen the latest trump horror today. He asked if I would consider donating this evening by credit card over the phone for a special "3 for 1" match by other donors. I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, but I told him I have a personal policy of not giving out my credit card number to people or companies that I don't know. He said "I have a ton of disclaimers that I can read to you..." but I wouldn't do it. I asked if we could donate online instead, and he said, "Yes, of course, if you go directly to the Joe Biden website, but it won't be the 3-for-1 match."

I don't know if he was legit; my gut is that he was, but I just couldn't bring myself to give a complete stranger my credit card number. We got burned a few years ago by a sweet little "high school student" selling magazine subscriptions door to door in the middle of winter, and it turned out to be a complete scam.

Has anyone else gotten a call like this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:12 pm

I am totally with you! Sounds like a scam to me. I would never give out my credit card number to anyone who cold called me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:15 pm

I'll tell you what's the scam. It's that whole x-for-1 match business.

In 2018, I worked many long hours for a political candidate, and heard many discussions among the "professional" campaign workers -- the ones that move around the country, from campaign to campaign. That match business is a lie.

And Sef, you're right not to give him your credit card number. He may be legit, but you're much safer donating through the campaign website or a verified ActBlue site.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:43 am

I wondered about that (matching donations). I wanted to ask the guy how I would know if someone actually matched my donation, or why they couldn't set this up on a secure website, but I didn't want to take up any more of his time with it.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 am

You did the right thing not giving account info out over the phone. The match may or may not be legit. Sometimes people put a match out there up to a certain amount, but who knows. Funny how they get info on which party you support.

I had a call a few years ago in the early evening after a particularly miserable day at work. I was still pretty wound up. The caller was in a noisy call center. He told me he was contacting me for a donation to the GOP because I was a registered Republican. I responded, "Well how the hell did that happen?" He burst out laughing and said, "I take it that's a mistake?" He got a good laugh out of it. He was really nice and we chatted a bit. I told him he might want to update his records.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:49 am

LOL, ItsaZoo!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:40 am

Voting records are public in VA. I think both parties have access to them. In the primaries, we can vote for any party - I am guessing it is recorded which party we vote for in the primary.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:23 am

That's right, Lynx. Voting is a matter of public record -- not who you vote for, but that you voted. And that's true of the primaries as well. So there is a record of whichever primary you vote in.

Both parties have huge databases of voter public information. In addition to voting information, they use other things to identify you as likely Republican or Democrat (and maybe other parties, but those are the only ones I know of for sure). One of the indicators they use is magazine subscriptions. A Mother Jones subscriber is much more likely to lean Democratic than Republican, for instance.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 am

I won't give my credit card number to someone on a cold call. I tell them they can mail a request after which ensues many attempts at persuasion. I think many of them are paid & sending something through the mail doesn't count for them. 'Course it also costs them a stamp, but oh well.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Wisconsin is a beautiful state. My wife and I are trying to decide where we will live in a few years for semi retirement. I'm making notes in my head of all the beautiful states I've seen. I put Wisconsin and Minnesota pretty high and then realized I'd never get my wife to endure winters there, and I don't want to do that living in 2 places thing.

My list is Maine, Vermont, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Montana, West Virginia, Tennessee. If I could cut a chunk of New Mexico, Arkansas, and Missouri and sew them together making one state that would be nice. I'd call it New Kanouri. Anyone have a state they think I should reconsider?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Well, Maine and Vermont are pretty cold in the winter, too. But think about the fall leaves!

I've lived in Kentucky and Pennsylvania, among several others, and really liked both of them. North Carolina and Virginia also have some really pretty areas. I'd love to live in the Smoky Mountains.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:45 am

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am

Rethuglican court.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:16 pm

I'd laugh if it weren't so depressing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:45 pm

What the heck indeed, Sef! A truly crappy and irresponsible move by the rethug dominated court!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:19 am

US News and World Report do state quality of life ratings each year. Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New Hampshire are usually high on the list.

I’m in Minnesota and the first complaint you’ll hear (after the cold winters) is high taxes. However, the cost of living is lower, so taxes are not really an issue. Minnesota uses that tax money to build infrastructure, public parks and access to waterways. We have some of the best medical clinics in the country, and before COVID, lots of arts, entertainment, and cultural opportunities. Our housing prices are a little lower than average, our poverty level is low, income is slightly above average, and the state is financially sound.

My friends that have moved out of state have started noticing that if you don’t pay state income tax, you also don’t have much for amenities. I’m biased living here but even with all the stuff going on in Minneapolis this is a pretty good place to live.

22 posts