Milky fluid coming from one eye

ccapriotti

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Hey guys, is this normal? Haven't seen this before.. should I take him to the vet ASAP? He's acting 100% normal, I just noticed the eye while watching him eat his salad.

Thanks guys, many thanks. <3

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm

The milky fluid is normal - it is often referred to as "cleaning fluid" because guinea pigs will use it to wipe their faces.

If one eye is excessively milky, there may be a blocked tear duct preventing the fluid from circulating back into the system. You can hold a warm, wet, clean, soft cloth to the eye (the guinea pig should close its eye) and very gently massage.

Read over www.guinealynx.info/normal.html and
www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

p.s. your pictures are nice and clear. Let me know if you'd like them added to your thread for future readers.

ccapriotti

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for the response.. should I clean it off for him?

Regarding the pictures, you can do whatever you'd like with them :D

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Yes, do clean off the excess from around the eye. Note if that eye waters frequently.

Here are some crops of your pics (thanks):

CavyDad

Post   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

We're going through this exact thing with one piggy right now. I would also suggest once a day taking a warm, damp cloth and gently wiping away any gunk that may have dried around the eye. The more gunk around the eye, the worse the fluid seems to puddle up.

Our vet said we can also try flushing the eye daily with drops--like the saline drops for contacts. We were told to bring him back if we start seeing discharge from the eye that isn't happening when he's grooming, or if it seems to be bothering him.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:24 am

My Algernon (RIP), had one eye that would secrete excess grooming fluid, especially in times of stress, not just while he was grooming. He had this issue for his entire life, but it did diminish as he aged. I rarely saw it by age six. This never caused him any secondary issues and his eyes always checked out fine at the vet. I would clean it off, if he does not groom it off and it builds up around his eye.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1