Breathing question

Ostefamily0912

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Over the summer my family took in two one year old male guinea pigs. Shortly after getting them we noticed that one of the guinea pigs sneezes a lot. Last week when we took him out to exercise we could hear him breathing. I called around to find a vet but by the time his appointment came around he sounded normal so we canceled. Two days later we can hear him breathing occasionally and sometimes his nose makes snorting sound then he sneezes and then it goes away. His appetite has been really good and he still runs around and plays. I am fine to take him to the vet but was wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes have had several variations of that.

Sometimes it has been a URI and required Meds, other times it was caused by their environment and went away once we rectified the problem (build up of ammonia and poor ventilation).

We even had the situation of taking one of our girls to the vet and her symptoms clearing up so the vet didn't see them and said she was fine but then a few days later they came back.

We also had one girl who, when we got her used to sneeze a lot and she has been on meds for breathing issues twice now in the last 4 months.

A vet might be able to hear something during an exam that you cant hear but what we did was videoed the breathing issues so we could show them the video if the symptoms disappeared by the time we got to the vet.

Its good that he is eating and active but have you noticed any other symptoms or any changes in behaviour. With our 3 it is usually a bad sign if they dont run off when we try to pick them up, although they are gradually getting better in that regard.

Other things to look out for are crusty eyes and nasal discharge.

What do you use for bedding and how frequently is it changed/cleaned? Any other possible causes of allergies/irritants? Smoke? Dust? Pollen?

Any weight loss?

Ostefamily0912

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 pm

I change the cage every Thursday and Sunday. I use care fresh natural paper bedding. I also use pee pee pads under the bedding. As for other irritants the weather did turn cold this month so the heat is on.... or I was wondering if it’s my hay? I get it from the equine feed store and it seemed like it might have more dust then the last bale I bought.

As for weight I haven’t weighed him. I know he has gained since we took over ownership. When we got him you could easily feel his back bone and ribs and you can’t anymore. I was just reading about checking this weekly. Do you use a specific scale or just one for people?

Thank you for the info!!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:10 am

A small food scale that measures lbs. and grams works just fine. You can find them at Walmart:
/www.walmart.com/ip/11lb-5kg-Digital-Kit ... /300195388

or at Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWSZ56T?pf ... 7YFNYMV2NN

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:05 pm

We picked up this one that works well. It just need a stable box or bowl for you to put them in while they are being weighed you just Tare out its weight.Most Kitchen or postal scales with a 1g resolution will work. Just make sure it is on a hard, flat, stable surface and that it is in a safe spot just in case one of your piggies decides to hop out while being weighed.

Ostefamily0912

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am

Thank you for the suggestions... I did order the scale, but decided to call the vet today. He was still eating but definitely not as excited last night and this morning like he normally is about his food. Plus he had some crusties around his nose. Turns out it was a mild URI.... hoping all starts to turn around once we start antibiotics.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:05 pm

If he is going on Antibiotics and starts to lose his appetite you might want to get some Bene-Bac probiotics and give him some 60-90 minutes after the antibiotics. It appears to have helped our girls out when they have been on meds.