cut nail too far - bleeding lots - urgen

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Yes, look into getting some styptic powder in case you need it again.

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:38 pm

It's called Kwik Stop. I just shove the nail right into the little container. It's very handy to keep around. I always seem to nick someone on nail cutting days.

melcvt00

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:33 pm

wot do i do too much blood to get in flour or soap

Don't try to decipher statements like these after 13 hard hours on your feet at work. It takes too long.

Tracy

Post   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm reviving this, after reading through a half dozen posts with "nail bleeding" in the title. I'm looking for all the strategies one can try to stop a bleeding, overclipped toenail. I DO NOT NEED THIS INFO URGENTLY, since our emergency is over, but...

My Izzy Bella squirms A LOT during nail trimmings. Earlier this week I overclipped one of her back nails, possibly two. Obviously I didn't plan to and didn't even notice immediately because she didn't react with a squeak/bite/jerk. But soon there was blood everywhere. I first tried pressure, probably for 30-60 seconds... no luck. Next tried styptic gel, squirted it all over her foot -- no help (bottle is kinda old; does it stop working after a while?). I couldn't get a good look and feared maybe I accidentally clipped her toe! From very quick assessments -- Izzy just wouldn't let me, plus such a mess -- one toe (of the three) kinda seemed swollen, maybe. Tried pressure again, for a longer period of time and trying to elevate her foot... bleeding continued. Then I remembered flour from a past piggy... all I could dig up was Bisquick, so I put some on a napkin and applied pressure again, with the powder, for what seemed like at least a full minute. That seemed to work, once I pulled back the napkin.

Overall, soooo much blood on various napkins, towels, my clothing. And I know she was bleeding at least a half hour, perhaps close to an hour overall (based on the TV show I had on in the background). I was about to call a cab to get us over to nearest vet that has a clue about piggies (though in hindsight, any vet should be able to stop bleeding nails, right?).

After the bleeding stopped and her foot was all crusty with dried blood and Bisquick, I kept her on a clean blanket on the floor (contained) rather than return her to the cage. She was mostly quiet, hiding under a house. After a few hours I hoped whatever clot that had formed would "hold up," so I rinsed her foot repeatedly with slightly soapy water (using syringe). That's when I learned maybe two nails were overclipped, and of course I feel terrible. Once her foot was dry, I sprayed the nails with something called Liquid Bandage, in case that might seal off the nails and prevent infection. I confess I did consider trying some kind of Bandaid or wrap bandage, but I had a feeling that would stress us both all over again. When back in the cage and back with her friend (after extra love and snacks from her guilty Mom), she was acting fine.

Just wondering if there are any other strategies to employ for stopping bleeding, besides pressure, styptic, and flour/cornstarch. It's definitely hard to think clearly while the blood is coming out and won't stop, not to mention a challenge to dig around for stuff while carrying the nervous piggy and holding her foot. So I want to be better prepared for next time. Also, is there a cream/gel/spray (or natural substance) that's safe as a topical antiseptic for piggies? I found some leftover Neosporin, anti-fungal version, that I may have tried for a bumblefoot piggy (who tolerated bandages) but did not use that on Izzy -- didn't seem like right product, and I thought she'd put her mouth to that affected foot.

Finally, I'd love suggestions for one person trimming the nails of a feisty piggy without either getting hurt (I don't know someone who can help just yet, after moving to a new city). I still need to attempt her curly front nails, and she's not at all cooperative/calm for that (worse than back feet)... plus more able to bite the offending hands/fingers. It's always very stressful with Izzy (hasn't gotten easier over 3 years), and I'm hoping I won't need to resort to vet techs for this routine necessity. Perhaps you can tell from this post that our adrenaline was high during that pedicure!

THANKS. And I'm so grateful nail trimmings are a piece of cake with my other piggy and have been quite manageable with my past 9 piggies.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 pm

I got some of the Kwik Stop from Amazon before we even attempted trimming nails.

When we first tried trimming nails we decided to have one person hold them (me) while the other (My daughter) did the trimming using a bright light to see where the quick was . Chunkita really hated it a and struggled really badly and we ended up with blood everywhere, not hers but mine as she bit me quite hard, she was fine once it was and done trotted off quite happily sporting a few spots of my blood on her back as war trophies. I needed a band-aid though.

My daughter later discovered that it was a lot easier as a one person job, that way she can feel if/when they are going to move their foot. I am not sure how she managed to calm our feisty Chunkita but will ask her as she said it was much easier than when we tried it with both of us.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

It sounds like it was pretty scary. I had a styptic pencil available when I overclipped a nail but never thought it was particularly effective (though widely recommended). Your idea of liquid bandage is as good as I can imagine.

This may seem way out there, but there is a product that is powdered and dries hard as a rock when mixed with the correct amount of water. It sets quickly. I wonder if this could cap a profusely bleeding foot. I imagine cauterization would be an option for a vet if the bleeding would not stop and was excessive.

This is the product I was thinking of:

Durham's Water Putty
http://www.waterputty.com/

In the FAQ, it says:
IS DURHAM'S TOXIC?
None of the ingredients are toxic or harmful to humans. Nor have we heard of Durham's causing problems for dogs, cats, or other animals. The ingredients of water putty are mostly minerials, like limestone, and a plant-based starch binder. There are no volitile organic compounds in Durham's.

I also think about the clipper and wish there was one that had an adjustment that allowed only a small amount of the toenail to be cut.

Tracy

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:13 am

Yes, was scary for sure. I need to figure out how to manage her better, as well as what products to have at the ready.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:01 am

We have a tub of Kwik-Stop open and handy. I hold the piggly on his/her stomach along my arm. This allows my husband to get both rear feet and one front foot. If he cuts too short, he dunks the whole foot into the tub of Kwik-Stop as many times as it takes to stop the bleeding. However, he's much more likely to not trim enough off and we're back at it in a few days. I'm the one holding the pigs so I end up getting really scratched up from the long, sharp nails. Flour or anything like that, works well when you don't have the Kwik-Stop.

For me, trying to do it alone, is absolutely terrifying because I can't see around the pig.
Last edited by GrannyJu1 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:07 am

For reference:

Kwik Stop® Styptic Powder
https://www.miraclecarepet.com/product/ ... ic-powder/
Kwik Stop® Styptic Powder. Contains Benzocaine® to block pain while it effectively controls minor bleeding caused by clipping nails & claw ... and minor superficial cuts.

INGREDIENTS:
Ferric Subsulfate, Aluminum Chloride, Diatomite, Bentonite, Copper Subsulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Benzocaine.