Ear Issue

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 pm

We have a paralyzed guinea pig who is now having problems with his ears. The margins are ragged, and he is having thick, wavy build-up inside and outside of both ears. I think I remember this same problem with our Zachary, but it has been many years ago and I don't believe our vet knew how to treat it. At the time, I thought it was fungal and used miconazole but I don't think it ever cleared up and he passed away from complications with ureteral stones before I ever got to the bottom of the ear problem.

Has anyone here ever encountered this? I do wonder if this would be a secondary symptom of renal failure. I have been using coconut oil on it for the past several days, and am thinking it might not hurt to alternate with miconazole but without a skin test there's no way to know if it's fungal vs. bacterial, and this little guy doesn't really need the stress of a vet appointment if I can avoid it.

Will try to post a pic, but my phone camera is pretty lousy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:05 pm

A product designed to help dissolve the ear wax, like Otoclens, might help you better see what is going on. Check for any signs of parasites too. Mites can be present in the ears and contribute to whatever problem he is having.

Any signs of heart issues?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:58 am

I was wondering if Otoclens might be worth a try to at least get that crud cleaned out. I just used a little Dawn dishwashing liquid on an infant/safe swab to get what I could see, but to your point...there's no way to know what could be farther down the ear canal.

He hasn't had a history of URIs or other signs that he could have heart issues, but his health has gradually deteriorated since he suddenly lost the use of both legs. Vet was not able to determine a cause despite various tests and x-rays. I had highly suspected that one of my husband's caregivers may have picked him up and dropped him (nobody is allowed to pick up the guinea pigs but me), but I'll never know for sure, and there were no other signs of trauma.

He has become incontinent, and his spine has developed a curvature over the past several months. Despite everything, he doesn't appear to be in any pain and still vigorously eats and enjoys being held, so I'm just trying to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as I can.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:02 pm

The Otoclens would safely dissolve the wax. I think it is worth a shot.

Sounds like you have ruled out stones with the xrays? Any signs of arthritis?

Poor guy!!