Oliver Russet's Med Thread

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Hey guys - long time no - see?

My one remaining GP is headed to the vet today, and hopefully starting this thread doesn't jinx him like normally happens to me.

Name: Oliver Russet (get it, like a potato?!)
Age: 3.5-ish - was adopted in November 2014, estimated to be a year at that point
Living conditions: 2x3 C&C cage with fleece, timothy hay, KM pellets and leaf lettuce daily.
Normal weight range: 2# 14oz - 3# even

Oliver has decreased his hay intake in the last few days, and weighed in yesterday at a measly 2# 12.25 oz.

He still gets super excited for veggies, eats Critical Care right off a plate, and eats *some* hay and pellets, seems to be drinking normally.
Behavior/activity level is normal, with the exception of one time he was caught sitting puffed up.

He has been on white towels for 4ish days, and there is no evidence of blood in the urine. Sound possible *slightly* congested in his nose, but no discharge from nose or eyes. Occasional sneeze here and there.

Other possible factors: recent move, new environment with slightly less foot traffic (living room to bedroom)

We are headed to see Dr. Zaffrano at 2pm.

Thoughts on diagnosis possibilities?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Good to hear from you!

Molar problems?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:28 pm

That's on my list of things to check.

I'm guessing this is going to turn into "one round of x-rays, multiple views, please!"

He doesn't seem to be eating strangely, but who am I to say.

Stay tuned.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 pm

An xray would provide info on possible heart issues too. I hope it is a transient problem and he gets better!

p.s. nice to see you!

Breadfan4

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Hope Oliver is found to have no serious issues...and so nice to "see" you again!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi again, all! I've loved not having to post in this particular section.

Oliver is still up and kickin' - he is estimated to be between 6-7 at this point (I have had him 5.5 years). He has gradually lost weight over the last year or so, but checks out fine at the vet, so we let him be his old sassy self.

I noticed last weekend that he has a moveable lump on his chest - basically right in the middle of his ribcage. It is pretty moveable, and I can get my fingers behind it - it is a little smaller than a dime, and very flat.

He is headed to the vet on Saturday 01/18 to get an aspirate done (the soonest I could get him in with my favorite vet).

I made the mistake of consulting the Google webs, and am coming up with lymphosarcoma, since it is on his chest. I KNOW this is not a reliable medical source (ha!) but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on that vs. something benign like a cyst/lipoma?

Should I try to get him in earlier than the 18th? He's acting fine and eating so far, and is only mildly annoyed with me touching it because he's so sassy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:44 pm

Anything moveable is unlikely to be malignant. And if it's soft and squishy, it's even less likely to be so. I think an appointment on the 18th would be fine.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm glad it has been so long since your last post for him! I assume this means he has otherwise been healthy.

I am sure you will continue to monitor it for any changes. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:30 pm

He has been well!! He has some minor sludge problems, that when he's feeling icky we pump him full of fluids until he's feeling better. Otherwise great! *frantically knocking wood*.

bpatters, it is quite squishy - in my unprofessional opinion is it squishier than the lipomas that my dog has. Its also RIGHT UNDER the skin. Feels squishier than a cyst.

I will keep the appt on the 18th, and if something changes, I can get him in on emergency.

Thank you both! :)

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Well, that would have been my two guesses: lipoma or cyst. Will be interested to hear what the vet has to say.

Nice to see you, iastate09, and glad to hear that the little guy has been doing okay otherwise. Sorry about the lump scare, but hopefully it's nothing to worry too much about. My grandmother used to identify all small lumps and bumps on the body as "gristle."

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 am

His lump might be slightly less squishy than I originally thought. It's a bit rubbery almost. Still hoping for lipoma or cyst. Yikes.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:17 pm

That is my hope as well. Do let us know what you find out on the 18th.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm

No such luck.

Round cell tumor/sarcoma. Vet thinks she can get it with clean margins, and he's in great health for 6/7, so we are going for it.

Surgery is the 27th.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Well darn. Sounds like the vet is confident and capable, though, so I'd be inclined to go for it, too.

Good luck on the 27th.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:51 pm

Crossing fingers, sending good thoughts. I hope the surgery is a big success.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Thank you both. Im finding nothing on the web about round cell tumors in guinea pigs, so I feel like we are blazing a trail here on success/reoccurance etc.

Histopath should tell us how clean the margins are, so will have to wait for that, I suppose.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Will it be sent off for further analysis?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Yes, we will be sending it out to pathology, so I will have details at that point. She said that the pathology would tell us exactly what it was, likelihood of it returning and how clean of margins she got.

She's hoping that it's just connected to the skin layers and it will be an easy removal, since it seems to be fairly moveable, and you can get your fingers behind it. Could be a one and done. She couldn't find lumps anywhere else.

He's my little love bug and I couldn't bear to not try, even though he's ancient haha.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 am

Glad to hear no other lumps were found. Continuing to send good thoughts!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Ok, the surgery anxiety has begun. Last night I was really second guessing putting a senior pig under anesthesia, and then I noticed how big the tumor has gotten, and reminded myself that it is really our only choice.

Could use some great success stories of 6+ year old GPs flying through anesthesia and surgery recovery with no issues!

48 posts