Drooling blackish liquid

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:34 pm

I can get to Dr Lyon on a day that you-know-who isnt there. See if he can take a quick peak. He's not the GP guru but he sure knows his teeth.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:39 pm

Chary-
I guess it depends on how serious the URI is. Of course, as you already know it, putting a pig with a URI under is less than ideal, but if he can't eat, that's less than ideal, too. So it's your call, but I think I would give him a few days to get a little better (handfeed like crazy and do subcues) and then have his teeth trimmed. Of course, it depends on how bad the tethh thing is.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:45 pm

I don't think the teeth are that bad, but then again, I'm not so terribly sure that she knows. The URI I think is what is causing him not to eat. He sounded very snuffly after they brought him back.

I also think I should stick with the Baytril. Bactrim for a URI doesn't sound right to me.

CP, he needs full dentals, will Dr. Lyon do that without bloodwork? Because I'm not hauling him all the way up there for another ordeal.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:50 pm

Bactrim works very well on URIs, but it's up to you. However, with my pigs, Baytril has caused more loss of appetite than Bactrim. I rarely use Baytril at all. Bactrim and Chloramphenicol are my two first choices.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:08 pm

Ok Bactrim. I am trying to get some chlor soon for both Wither and Panda.

Wonder if being blind affected his ability to find the food.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:16 pm

Pigs can't see shit to start with, Chary. Being blind has very little effect on them, from what I've been told by people who have blind pigs. Pinta's Taffeta is diabetic and went blind a couple years ago. You just can't tell from just watching her.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:19 pm

You know, I don't think that diagnosis is correct.

I put him in his pigloo and he cleaned himself then sat there. I leaned in and placed my finger straight out about 6 inches from his face. He crept forward and smelled it. Then I took a piece of romaine and did the same thing. He walked right out and took it.

I don't think he is blind. It has to be wrong. But why else wouldn't his pupils retract from light?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:19 pm

Einstein has been able to find food since he was about two days old. He used to hang out in the hidey house until Suzi pulled herself up to eat out of the hayrack, then run over and mob her nipple. He couldn't see her, he couldn't hear her, but he could smell the milk or something like that.

Your pig probably runs around the vegetables to figure out how much he has or something.

Your finger and romaine lettuce smell, especially at six inches.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:22 pm

Ok.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:16 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy. I hope Witherspoon gets better soon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:43 pm

Ironically, I could put things in front of my pigs' faces, drop them and they seemed not to be able to see where they were -- but I knew they all had vision. A pig that is blind has a bloodless eye. Shine a light in. Don't worry about retraction, just look to see if you can see any red (as in night shining).

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:48 pm

A pig that is blind has a bloodless eye.

Is that true in all cases of blindness? I mean, it's true in Einstein's, but I would think a pig with, for instance, nerve damage to the optic nerve, would still have all the machinery of the eye working fine and reflecting red.