Now George is peeing blood.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:08 pm

She's chewed a fair bit of paper towel today. If she ingested it, can it be harmful?

Not many poops during the day. Going to give her Reglan, Meloxicam, and ABs now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:10 pm

I don't think it would be a problem. If she is pooping some, that is progress.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:18 pm

I would think paper towel would be a good substitute for chewed wooden hutch or chewed cardboard box.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:44 pm

Incision today (one suture left). You can see where it's spread a little at the center. But is it bad enough to warrant a trip back to the vet tomorrow? I just don't know what's normal/acceptable at this point. We can always bring her in to be on the safe side, anyway.

For easy comparison, here's her incision yesterday:

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:54 pm

Compared to the picture that salana posted of Suzi, that looks really good. But I don't have expertise.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:04 pm

I say take her back. The reason being that if the site gets infected it could be a major pain...for her and your pocketbook. It looks like it should be glued or sewed back together.

Do you have any Betadine that you could use to clean it now?

lisam

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:12 pm

It's a hard call. After their spays, my kittens and my pig Shmi had pulled a little open like that, and all I did was keep them clean and dry, and they all healed just fine.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:44 pm

Suzi's second spay incision:

All of these healed with removal of the irritating suture scraps and chlorhexidine rinses twice a day.

Cuddles also had a little pulling apart and healed fine:

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:17 pm

Well, we'll see what it looks like in the morning and go from there. If it's going to be a problem, though, I'd want it sorted out before the weekend. Anyway.

Since putting another pig on Poop Patrol seemed to help George, erm, "let loose" last time around, we set up a floortime enclosure with the usual amenities (hay, wheatgrass, stool) and put her and Evil Pig together. Which, of course, set George off to reassert her dominance, so we promptly removed Evil Pig and just let George have a little bit of a stroll around. And of course, she produced some nice poops.

Then she sat under the stool looking proud of herself.

So while she was in there, I changed the towel and paper towels in her little cage, and added a microwaveable heating pad that I got today. It was just warm through the towels. Now, I don't know if this was the painkiller kicking in, or her being tired from her floortime experience, or exhaustion from trying in vain to pull out that last suture, but I put her back in and she promptly stretched out and went to sleep! Now we know where Jubilee gets his Dead At the Wheel sleep look from:

The next thing I knew, she kicked both legs out and was in full sprawl!

If there's any question about the incision in the morning, Steve will bring her in to have it looked out. Carol, when you had to have your pig (I forget now which it was!) re-stitched, how long was she at the vet? We're just trying to figure out logistics since Steve would have to get here there, possibly kill time, then come back here, then get her settled, then leave her unsupervised (with fresh stitches) while he comes to pick me up from work and take me out to dinner for our anniversary! But if it doesn't take too long, it might be okay.

pigbert

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:27 pm

Aww, full sprawl. :)
I hope George is okay, and happy aniversary!

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:57 pm

I have had some piggies with MUCH worse-looking incision sites. They heal on their own.. they really do.

She seems to look great. I want to know what kind of camera you have. :-) Its really nice.. takes great pictures.

What a cute girl. She's pooping really well. Do you still have to force feed her?

Judi

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:08 pm

It's a Leica Digilux 4.3. Thanks for the compliments! The macro mode is especially good.

I did feed her about 6ccs of Critical Care tonight, and she took them pretty willingly (ditto her meds). Not too much resistance. She seemed hungry for it, really. I just want to make sure she's getting some extra fiber going through her, but she is eating pretty well on her own.