Now George is peeing blood.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:00 am

The fun just don't stop.

So George is down a couple of ounces over the past week or so (2 lb. 5 oz. and a bit to 2 lb. 3 oz.), so we'd been keeping an eye on her food intake and behavior, but nothing was amiss. She was still alert, sociable, greedy. I chalked it up to a reasonably normal fluctuation and was weighing her daily to check for additional losses.

Yesterday, I saw her urinate and there was blood mixed in (different than when Flo was spotting; this was definitely in with the urine, and not direct bleeding), though she didn't squeak when she peed. And I noticed that she was spending a bit more time than usual "sitting" under the little stool (not all-out reclining like she normally does)--perhaps a sign that she is experiencing discomfort.

So we have a vet appointment for her tomorrow with the conveniently local but not uber cavy-savvy vet. We'll bring in a urine sample for analysis/culture, and I assume it's a good idea to have her X-rayed to see if there's a stone. And get her on an antibiotic. Jubilee tolerated Bactrim well when he had his URI--is Bactrim a good AB for UTIs?

Sigh.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:12 am

Don't start the antibiotic until after the appointment tomorrow.

Make sure the urine you take is as fresh as possible.

As for bactrim being a good antibiotic.....not that I've seen on culture results, but you never know.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:19 am

We're going to get a sample late tonight and keep it in the fridge till morning, like we did for Florence (they said the sample could be refrigerated for up to 24 hours; this will be about 10 or so, most likely).

It would be hard for me to start her on the AB since I don't have a stash of it at home. So that's not a problem.

The urinalysis report usually comes back the next day, but the culture takes a few days longer. I guess they could start her on bactrim and then switch if the culture indicates otherwise, right?

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:37 am

Yup. That's what we usually do. Start an antibiotic, then switch (or not) based on the culture results.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:39 am

Bactrim has worked well for many people with simple uti's. See what the vet has to say.

I may be wrong, but I think the sample will basically tell you there is blood in the urine. You may need a more sterile sample to test for bacteria. But you probably know more about this than I do.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:45 am

They can only culture urine drawn directly from the bladder, you mean?

When we had to get a sample from Florence, they said to disinfect the surface (underbed tupperware container) and to pick up any poops and disinfect the surface again. If any poop had come in contact with the urine, we would have been out of luck.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:50 am

Technically, it's best (and maybe even easier) to get it directly from the bladder.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:34 pm

Gee Swannie, I hope George is okay. Sounds like a possible infection. Dr. Pam would probably try an antibiotic first and then do a culture (direct from bladder) if that didn't work.

Although, with my girls we tried a different antibiotic first and then I went with the ultrasound.

Good luck tomorrow!

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:47 pm

Thanks Carol. I hope it's easily treated.

And we still need to have a Pig Party one of these days! When George is all better, maybe?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:56 pm

Absolutely! I haven't been in touch with ya about that because my apt. was too cold many weekends! But, we will do it soon.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:00 am

Steve took George to the vet this morning. She has a bladder stone. She will need surgery. They gave us tribrissen sulfa (?) in the meantime, which I recall is another name for Bactrim. So now I will call the good vet (Dr. Pam) about the surgery. And having the stone analyzed.

I'm pretty sure I have some metacam left over from Flo's ordeal--would it be helpful to give some to George? I assume the stone is painful, which is why she's been sitting sort of hunched up sometimes.

Is there anything else I should be doing, aside from revisiting the veggie info/ratios? Everyone is fed timothy-based pellets and timothy hay (Oxbow).

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:09 am

Eew....

Definitely give the metacam. Bladders rubbing on stones get really thickened and inflamed. It can't feel good.

Check your veggie ratios, then find out if they like cranberries/juice.