white spot on eyes

kwberry

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:12 pm

Hello, my guinea pig is getting on in years, and I have noticed a white dot in the middle of each eye, one bigger than the other. Could this be blindness setting on, do guinea pigs go blind? If it is, how long before complete blindness sets in, or is this something that happens naturally and I am getting in a tizzy over nothing?
Thanks for any advice given.
K Berry

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:35 pm

How old is your pig?
How long ago have the white spots started forming? I am thinking diagetes, here. Can you give us more info? Maybe a picture?

kwberry

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:38 pm

Thanks, Buttercup is 5, the white spots must have been there for a bit, just getting to a noticeable state now. They are about a milimeter big and in the center of the eye.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:43 pm

Is Buttercup drinking more than usual? Is she loosing weight? Does she act differently?

Pigs sometimes gat calcium deposits in the eyes. I´m sure Pinta, Joséphine or others will have more info on those.

kwberry

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:48 pm

She is drinking more yes, but we thought since the weather has been very hot recently, we thought that could be attributed to that, but she is as round and heavy as normal. and she is acting the same. Do you mean diabetes? and can this be caused by too many carrots in her diet? Thanks for your interest Evangeline.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:53 pm

Check the reference forum for a post about in the middle of the page on Diabetes. It will give you a good link to read on the subject.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:53 pm

Oups! Yes, I meant diabetes. I really can´t type!

Too many carrots can possibly lead to liver problems. This is why it is advised to give just one baby carrot every second day. Besides, it´s better to go for greens, as they are richer in vitamin C.