Guinae Pig foot fungus?

Leah Romano

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:00 pm

My Guinea pig "Brownie" has a brown fungus looking lump under her front paw, I thought it was her own waste but when I tried to removed it but it wouldn´t come off, is it some sort of GP foot fungus? should I be concerned? She hasn´t been as active lately, it might be because it is extremely hot out but I do let her run around outside with just the top of her cage over her. I don´t want anything bad to happen to my piggy but if anyone has had this problem before with their pig, advice would be very helpful.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:03 pm

Sounds like a spur - dead skin. If it is likely to catch on something, carefully cut it off without going too close to the pad. Otherwise, just leave it. Don´t try to pull it off or the pad will bleed.

Some pigs get them more often than other pigs.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:56 pm

A couple of my girls get them really bad on one front paw. I just trim them when I do the nails. The first time I saw it I kind of had a fit! I thought something was terribly wrong! It is nice to find something that is normal and easily controlled!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:53 am

You can see pics of some spurs on www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/feet.html (I think)

Leah Romano

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:43 pm

I´m afraid it may be bumble foot, the lump on her foot looks more like the picture with the pig with bumble foot, How can I help brownie get more excerise? and how much should I feed her each day, I think she may be too fat

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:53 pm

You can switch to a timothy based pellet -- Cavy Cuisine from Oxbowhay Co. seems to be the best.

Oh, if you do any purchasing online, use the igive connection and make a donation (no cost to you) to a rescue that needs help. http://www.ferretstore.com/ is one place you can get Oxbow´s Cavy Cuisine (that´s where I buy it). If you purchase over $25, the shipping is free, too. People who sign up for the first time and purchase products within the first 45 days (I think) can donate an extra $5 to the non-profit of their choice

Check out this thread for how: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/thread.ph ... &styleid=5

I hope the article on bumblefoot will give you some other ideas. I understand it is hard to treat.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.