Quick tutorial needed for rescue sows

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:13 pm

Teresa is bringing me two VERY pregnant sows from the Hollister rescue. I need some quick reminders, if someone doesn´t mind. I know I could look it all up, but I´m cashing in my silver bullet!

1. Most likely have mites and/or lice. Can I treat with Ivermectin topically while they are preg? How much behind each ear? Orally? I know not to do Iver and Advantage at the smae time, so I was hoping the topical Iver would do both mites and lice.

2. How much Karo syrup in water?

3. How much liquid Vit C?

4. I have alfalfa hay and pellets.

5. ANYTHING else I have forgotten?

Thank you!!! Kara

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:12 pm

Skip the Karo in water (Josephine will tell you this).

I´m guessing 50mg C.

Alfalfa hay and pellets sound fine. Add some vegs.

Yes they can be treated with ivermectin while pregnant. If you send me some weights, I can tell you how much to put behind each ear. Do you have the straight injectable form at 10mg/cc? I can give you topical amounts at 0.5mg/kg -- if you have the straight injectable form, you won´t need to dilute it either. Since the dose is higher used topically, you can get a more or less accurate measure.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:42 pm

OK... no Karo

OK... 50 mg

1% injection for cattle and swine. I´ll weigh them when they get here. I think it may be late tonight. Teresa said they had only taken pictures of about 20 pigs and it took over an hour. I talked to her around noon... I think.

There will be no hurry to treat tonight. I am just hoping to get the moms vermin free so the babes don´t need to be treated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:56 pm

It will only take seconds to treat them. If you feel confident, you could treat them yourself. I´ll write a few guidelines later so if you want to, you can figure it yourself.

You can print this information from this link, which also includes a more detailed weight and dose chart: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

TOPICAL IVERMECTIN TREATMENT

Topical treatment will kill mange mites and may also kill lice and fur mites. Ivermectin is safe to use on pregnant sows. The young are best treated after they reach 12 ounces (340 gm) in weight. Treatment must be repeated at least once, 7 to 10 days later to kill the emerging mites (ivermectin does not kill the eggs). If you have any other questions, read information on parasites and ivermectin in the reference guide .
www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html
www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

Purchase a small quantity of Ivomec Injection 1% solution or a generic 1% solution product (view product: www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html#products ). The smallest size seems to be a 50cc sealed bottle. This 50cc bottle contains 500mg of ivermectin, or 10 mg/ml, enough ivermectin to give 1000 one kilo pigs a single treatment.

Weigh your pig and convert to grams if using a pound scale.
2.2 pounds = 1 kilo = 1000 grams

For example:
  • A twelve ounce pig = 340 grams
  • A one pound pig = 454 grams
  • A two pound pig = 909 grams
  • A three pound pig = 1364 grams

A 1000gm (1 kilo) pig needs a dose of 0.5mg. You will get that dose in 0.05cc of the undiluted injectable Ivomec.

You will need a needled syringe to stick in the self sealing rubber top of the Ivomec. Invert the bottle and slowly draw the small amount into the syringe. I understand some syringes allow the removal of the needle itself to help prevent unnecessarily pricking your animal when applying the ivermectin to the skin behind the ear.

If you cannot remove the needle, be especially careful when you express the tiny droplets of the ivermectin on the bald spot behind their ear. Then fold over some fur and rub it in. Try not to touch it, mainly because you want the whole dose on them and none of the dose lost (this product is also a human medication -- but you shouldn´t need any). If you were using a needleless syringe, it would look about like a drop behind each ear.

The doses for pigs of the following weights will give you something to tell if you are in the ballpark.

1000 gm = 1.0 kilo -- 0.05 cc
1250 gm = 1.25 kilo -- 0.0625 cc
1500 gm = 1.5 kilo -- 0.075 cc
2000 gm = 2.0 kilo -- 0.1 cc

As you can see, multiplying their weight in kilos by 0.05 will yeild the right dose. As I said before, it would probably look like a single regular drop behind each ear, but you can be more precise using a measured syringe. If it does not look like it works out to about a drop behind each ear, you may have moved a decimal. Do not treat if you are unsure about the dose.

Repeat at least once, 7 to 10 days later.

I never put up a chart for the topical dose on the ivermectin page because I was afraid people might mix up the amounts for the diluted and undiluted ivermectin. Some people are just not good with numbers. The safest way is always to have your vet do it.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat May 10, 2003 5:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:58 pm

I´ve treated my girls many times. I have never done the topical though. I have all the syringes etc. I guess if they deliever soon, I´ll need to treat the pups too. Poor piggers!

pinta

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:08 pm

The pups will get it thru the mother´s milk.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:15 pm

You have to wait until the pups are older to treat them orally or topically (12 oz or 340 gm). I think I´ve heard what Pinta heard (not sure it´s correct but it sounds good).
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teresa

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:23 pm

I´m in the middle of updating the album with the latest info and what photos we got today. I really don´t get why, but we saw not one sign of mites anywhere on any pigs. LOTS of running lice. Maybe static lice. But no signs of mange mites, which I find incredible.

I took just one sow home with me. She is skin and bones. Eating everything I give her.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:34 pm

She was the REALLY bony guinea pig, no? Poor baby. Do you think she is pregnant too? She looked like she had mites. No? Her hair was so thin, but maybe due to malnutrition. Oh, she was the one with the "hoppy" back legs.

Pinta, Lynx... is it OK that the pups get it through the mother?

Also, T, if you think there may be no mites, would it be safer/better to treat the moms with Advantage? It would be AMAZING that there were no mites. For the conditions they were kept in, I was surprised at how well they did look.

Poor babies... the worst in behind them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:41 pm

Sorry, I can´t really answer your question on whether or not it´s okay if the pups get it through the mother. Maybe Josephine could tell you. The only stuff I found (when I checked reports out a while back) had to do with the safety of pregnant animals, not nursing animals. One would think the pups would get some in utero. And cavy pups are quite well developed when they are born. Sorry I can´t conclusively say anything.

Josephine might be able to comment on whether or not Advantage would be the better choice.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:56 pm

Sounds good. Ideally, I like to do nothing. I guess it depends on how bad they are. Thanks, Lynx.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:40 pm

We give ivermectin to mares on the days they foal, so that the benefit of it goes into their milk (vet recommended). Pigs and horses are a lot alike, so...