Ever worry about weight gain?

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:35 am

I weigh the pigs every Tuesday so that I can catch problems. One of my adopters started doing that as well and she caught a back molar problem by noticing her pig´s weight loss. So I know that weight loss is something to watch closely. How about quick weight gain in a boar (no pregnancy there)?

Some of you may remember Little Richard´s story from the last board. He had a very bad head tilt that wasn´t responsive to antibiotics at first and he still has balance/coordination problems. He also is paralyzed on 1/2 his face and the eye on the affected side was ulcerated and had to be removed.

When I got him in in the end of October, he was 1 lb 13 oz. He remained around that weight but when he was getting all the meds in the end of Nov. and early Dec. when he had his surgery, he hovered at 1 lb 10 oz. But all of a sudden, in the past two or three weeks he shot UP 6 oz and is 2 pounds! He´s filling out nicely. I´m paranoid about him though. That´s good, right?

I worry about him because he´s one of those pigs that sleeps like the dead and I´ve had to roll him over just to wake him up. So any change in his condition will make me paranoid.

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:59 am

Yes, sometimes it does mean a problem. When our Cushings disease pig´s weight suddenly started going up and her tummy was bulging, we knew it wasn´t normal. (She has been spayed so ovarian cysts were ruled out.) She was usually a steady 2 1/4 lb. When she hit 2 1/2 lb. we took her to the vet for an xray. Her tummy was full of gas. The food wasn´t moving thru fast enough. She went on a daily dose of Reglan and within a few days was back to normal weight. To deal with her motility problem she is on Reglan longterm.

Another pig, while not particularly gaining weight, stayed steady yet got bonier and bonier. It turned out she had a massive tumour in her abdomen. While she lost weight, the tumour gained it. She was euthanized during exploratory surgery when the tumour was discovered and found to be fully involved with her other organs.

As long as the weight gain is even (i.e. not just in the belly) and he is gaining good flesh over his haunches and backbone, I wouldn´t worry too much but just keep an eye on him.

He may go into a deep sleep because he feels secure enough to or his infection that resulted in a head tilt might have affected his level of sleep (I´m just guessing here).

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:35 am

Or maybe it affected his hearing, too?

Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:23 pm

I was wondering this myself. Jules, my "little" pig, has steadily put on ounces. But I think it´s mostly just he´s feeling great now that he´s healthy. I hope that´s Richard´s case, too.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1