Piggy with Abdominal Distension.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:07 pm

Wow. Yes, please do. If you have time, you could do a short reference post in the Reference and First Hand Accounts forum.

GulickDO

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:06 am

Well, it has been several days now since our little Molly passed her first placenta. Since then, she has passed three!! Her abdominal distension has been reduced by about 75%. She is no longer lethargic. And she is more playful and talkative than she has been in weeks!

With the help of a good vet, some "piggy bactrim" (sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim), and lots of TLC, it looks like she will make a full recovery!

Thanks for all the input you all have given us!!

G.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:02 am

Is your vet absolutely sure they are placentas? Is there any chance she passed some large clots? Just trying to consider other alternatives.

I am so encouraged that it looks like she will be fine. Thanks for giving us the update.

piggypie

Post   » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:45 pm

But I thought you had her spayed. How could she pass placentas if she was spayed? They would have been removed with the uterus.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:45 pm

She did not receive a spay (reread the thread).

She was originally intact, when this problem cropped up got scheduled for a spay, but it was canceled after she passed a placenta (and then several others).

Perhaps you are confusing this pig with some other one?

GulickDO

Post   » Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:13 pm

We´re guessing they are placents. I´ve delivered about 15 human babies myself, and (with them) placentas. The vet suggested that what she passed were, in fact, placentas and after I observed them I noticed that they looked remarkably like little human placentas! When you fanned them out they were somewhat circular and had radiating vessels, like a human placenta. The vet is much more knowledgable about guinea pig physiology than I, but it didn´t take much to convince me these were most probably placentas.

Is it possible we´re both wrong? Of course.

G.
Last edited by GulickDO on Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:15 pm

You sound convincing to me.