Help! mites & fleas !

Sonia

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:54 am

I´ve got a problem...again ! The two newbies, I´ve discovered, have mites. I was holding one and noticed what can only be described as very minute browny red tipping to the fur. Upon closer examination they moved !!! It is mites, and to top it all, all four of my piggies have got them now. I´ve never had mites on my pigs before, and am I have to admit abit shocked. The only time I´ve experienced them is with a rescue mouse whom you only had to hole for a few seconds before the mites rose to the heat. We were given a powder solution to dip the mouse in, and it died of major bloat 24 hours later...the verdict, overdosing...when we followed the vet´s instructions !!!

Consequently, I am very nervous. I need information on how to get rid of them. The other thing is that my ´darling´ cat has been playing with foxes, and hedgehogs and is riddled with fleas. I´ve had to move the cages into the front room, where they are temporarily stationed under my cockateils, on the floor...big mistake...they have fleas too now...I didn´t see the fleas yesterday, so I think the hopped on board recently, that I can accept...dum cat...but I can´t believe this mite situation. The lady we got the pigs from showed us a bottle of shop bought mite spray that she said she uses, so I expected them to be free of mites.

So, to recap :
What do I do to get rid of mites, and fleas, and how long will it take to work ?
Will I have to treat my cockatiels, and cat for mites ( I´ll do the flea stuff anyway ) ?
Do I have to insecticide the carpet for mites as well as the fleas ?
Are the mites transferable to humans ?...we have all been snuggling and kissing the pigs and I even had one of them in my bed !
Is there anything else you can advise or that I should know ?

My mum is going to go mad when she hears about the mites...I have a feeling that this is going to be expensive !!! Oh and by the way, Ivermectin is now not available from any vet in mine and the next three counties, ( I can´t get further afield ) as the government, or some other ´wise´ person has banned it for use on small animals ! Great !

Thanks for your help...again !

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

Sonia

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:10 am

I´ve just read the thread about mites earlier, but it doesn´t say on that or guinea lynx if they are transferable to humans and also if I should treat the carpet. I will do my bed stuff anyway, but will the birds and cat need treating too ? Although the birds and cat have had no direct contact, they are very close by.

Also, any other alternatives to Ivermectin ??? I want to go armed with information to my vet to help him treat all my animals correctly.

Sonia

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:38 am

If you can see them, they aren´t deadly mange mites. Maybe fur mites or something which would be somewhat uncomfortable but not life threatening.

See if you can get a tube of Advantage for dogs/cats. The dose would have to be adjusted to the weight of the animal. It is topical and I think will take care of fleas. Go to www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/hairloss.html and read the part about what people most want to know about parasites. It has a good link to flea info. I don´t think ivermectin works on fleas.

Sonia

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:54 am

We have something very similar called Frontline, but would you think a kitten & puppy version would be better than a cat & dog version ?

Looking at the Link ( I should have read that first...sorry ! ) I think now it is lice rather than mites. They don´t appear to have the bumpy eggs on the fur base. Either way, we need to get things done, so it´s off to the vet we go !!!

Thanks Lynx

Sonia

pinta

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:42 am

DO NOT USE FRONTLINE

Sonia

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:52 am

Thank you for the warning Pinta. Before I checked back, I rang my vet who said that he wouldn´t be happy using Frontline as he doesn´t know anything about it on guineas. He´s also never heard of Advantage used on them, and as he doesn´t think it´s a particularly good product, as it is apparantly unstable if stored in the wrong environment, he doesn´t use Advantage in his surgery.

What is in Frontline that is toxic to piggie´s ? I think I might be able to get a product called Stronghold, and I am finding mentions of Advantage in some very far out surgeries. Would Stronghold be ok ?

Are there any other products I can or can´t use ?

Sonia
Last edited by Sonia on Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonia

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:52 am

In Peter Gurney´s link, provided in the guinea lynx link given above, there is a mention of

" Prioderm shampoo, formulated for hair lice in humans, is also perfectly safe to use and very much cheaper than any veterinary product. "

Has anyone used this ? And can I use it in combination with a flea treatment such as Advantage ( when I track down a near enough seller of the Advantage ! ).

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:10 pm

What is in that? Pyrethrins? I personally wouldn´t bank on that advice and generally speaking, human products are not great for cavies.

I wouldn´t be mixing chemicals. Not a good idea at all. Good way to kill an animal.

Why don´t the vets over there use Advantage? With Advantage and lufenuron (Program), you have no excuse in the US to have fleas on any of your pets! They are safe and effective. What are they using over there?

Never heard of Stonghold either. An ingredients list would help. I am not a fan of many OTC sprays, shampoos, and powders. They are usually too toxic and ineffective. Frontline is too toxic in my book and I never recommend it.

It sounds as if you probably have lice on the pigs. They are species-specific.
Advantage would take care of them.

Sonia

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:31 am

I was reading the old rescue card details, of Piggie and Bramble and both cards said they have been treated with Prioderm shampoo twice each, and then twice ( a week apart ) before they came home with us. I also spoke to several rescue places who all use it, and even the vet said that it can be used on fleas and lice if you can´t use anything available from the vets. Anyway here is a list of ingredients :
Malathion 0.5% w/v
Isopropyl Alcohol,
D-Limonene,
Terpineol
Perfume Loxol
Citric Acid
Shellsol-T

Actually, I´ve just noticed that this is a bottle of Prioderm Lotion. I´m going to try to take it back and get the shampoo, as you leave the lotion on the hair. I´d imagine the list of ingredients are pretty similar though. I´ll let you know later.

Over here the vets prefer Frontline. They claim the Advantage is just to unstable and deteriorates so quickly if not stored 100% accurately. Apparently there are many cases of Advantage posioning in cats particularly, and I know I´ve seen several cases reported on Animal Hospital, a BBC1 Tv programme.

We have a urban Fox population explosion round here, and this isn´t helped by the fact that many of the once privately owned houses in my road have been bought by the council and are being rented to those people on welfare, who were the trouble makers on their estates, or those having their own property on the estates fumigated due to insect infestations. The pest controllers are controllers are regularly about as the fumigated property owners bought the bugs along with them in their possessions. They keep tellling us how infested the welfare houses are, with fleas, and lately cockroaches !!! The nearest house is 6 doors away and the kids run riot in the streets wearing filthy torn clothes. If the houses, and the free range guard dog pets, are as infested with fleas as the Foxes, all the animals will all suffer.

The rescue centres I spoke to, all said that the fleas would be treated by the Prioderm too. Hmmm, not to sure about that, but I´m not sure what to do at the moment about the fleas and lice, and the Prioderm must be ok...mustn´t it ???

I can´t track down an ingredients list for Stronghold. Even Stronghold is hard to get hold of. Many vets just stick to the Frontline.

Sonia

pinta

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:02 am

I´ve read there´s been problems with rabbits with Frontline. Don´t use it. From an old email list:

IMPORTANT NOTE: I forgot to mention in my original message that we should
NOT use Frontline/Top Spot flea treatment on rabbits or guinea pigs. This
is a similar treatment to Advantage. However, my vet tells me that it has
proved toxic to rabbits. A previous vet also told me that it is not
effective. So be sure to use only the Advantage brand.

Malathion is used in the garden. It is a pesticide. I wouldn´t use it on an animal as small as a pig or any animal for that matter. Josep-hine would know more. Or you could Google it.

If there have been problems with Advantage I expect it´s from overdosing. I´ve used it many times with no problems but I use a syringe for exact measurements. I don´t go for an imprecise drop behind each ear.

Can you get the data on the cat poisonings from Advantage? I´d be curious to see the details.

Sonia

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:53 am

Anyone heard of Vet-Sect Repel Animal Shampoo
Ingredients :
Contains natural Terpineols, Oils of Lemon Grass and Cedarwood, Lecithin

The label says Antiseptic, disinfectant, anti-fungal, miticidal and larvicidal properties with Insect repellent Activity.
Instructions Use Rubber gloves routinely. Wet coat all over.
Apply enough shampoo to lather thoroughly.
Carefully aviod eyes. Leave for 3-4 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Towel dry
Always wash hands after use.

Its made by Millpledge, Whinleys estate, Clarborough, Retford, Nottinghamshire DN22 9NA

We got it a few months back for the guineas and never used it, for one reason or another. I searched for the thread I mentioned it on, but can´t find it and can´t remember the replies.

Isn´t Cedarwood the bad stuff ???

I am still trying to find the data you wanted Pinta.
Last edited by Sonia on Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:30 pm

Cedarwood is toxic to animals (esp when injested). I wouldn´t risk it.