Princess - Bladder Sludge and UTI

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:16 pm

Well, I thought my piggie problems were over. Today we brought Princess to the vet since she was crying while peeing. X-rays were taken, urine analyzed, but even the visual I gotwas proof positive of bladder sludge. Urinalysis determined it to be calcium oxalate crystal in the urine.

Well, the sludge also irritated the urinary tract, which opened it up to a nasty infection. Bactrim was prescribed and also a diet low in oxalates.

To keep things easy, I suppose modifying all my pigs' diet wouldn't hurt.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:17 pm

Ugh. Never ends, eh?

Good luck Princess.

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 pm

I hit the trifecta. All three pigs in that cage have been afflicted. Fortunately, Marilyn and Snuggles are doing very well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:12 am

I hope Princess does well too.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:42 am

Ugh. Good luck.

Becky

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:03 pm

If all three are affected, I'd consider environmental causes. What is their bedding?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:15 pm

It could also be caused by urinary tract infections (whose bacteria may have been passed to the other pigs). Seems to me I read something about stones being related to urinary tract infections -- not well understood as far as what causes what and how it's related.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:44 am

Becky, it was three completely different problems. Snuggles had an opportunistic infection shortly after a neuter. Marilyn had an uncomplicated UTI, and now this. Princess gt the UTI due to the sludge irritating her urinary tract.

We house three other pigs in a similar fashion. They're all quite healthy.

Becky

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:07 pm

Ah, OK. Sounds like you know the sources.

Shortly before Cookie passed away, Chippy had a UTI, so the first thing we did was look at environmental causes. It wasn't the case, but it's something for people to keep in mind.

ChadWPB

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 am

Without a doubt, I always keep it in mind. One enviromental change I did make is spot cleaning both cages more stringently, as the pigs love to sleep in their pigloos and just "let fly".

Becky, aren't you the source for a lot of the stones diet info? I read up on it and it seems it's geared for prevention of calcium carbonate stones. Since Princess has calcium oxalate sludge, wouldn't it make sense to limit the oxalates as well as monitoring Ca:P levels?

Anyway, she has been a lot more comfortable since beginning the Bactrim. She hasn't been squealing while peeing, and is quite happy. Except when feeding her poop soup. We're dropping off another urine sample in two weeks for a progress check. At least as far as the sludge, I probably could collect an unofficial sample and look at it to see it that's improved any.

Becky

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:39 pm

I knew you were diligent in your husbandry. It just doesn't hurt to make the point here for people searching in the future.

I certainly would avoid many of the high oxalate foods, or just include very small quantities in a meal.

As we were discussing on another thread, there are vast differences in high oxalates. For example, spinach has 750 mg while escarole and endive have about 31. Both are listed as high, but obviously, on seperate ends of the spectrum.

Apparently, the important thing to do is not supersaturate any meal with too much oxalates.

I'd also strongly suggest she has a long course of Bactrim to try to "sterilize" the bladder. When Chippy's problems continued, we had her on a six week course.

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:22 am

We have enough Bactrim for roughly six weeks' treatment. We'll see if even the six weeks is enough.