URI & Mites

Post Reply
User avatar
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:19 pm

My 4 month old guinea pig Contessa had some eye crusties and nasal congestion (her appetite, output, and lungs are normal) on Saturday night, so I took her to the emergency room (not her regular doc, but er doc seemed pretty knowledgeable after grilling him). He prescribed .15ccs trimeth/sulfa twice a day for 10 days.

She also seems to be scratching herself an awful lot and also has a few scabs, I think she may have mites.
Is it a problem to dose her with ivermectin while on the trimeth/sulfa, or should I wait until she´s off the trimeth?

She is being quarantined from our 2 other pigs as of Saturday, we are watching them closely for any symptoms of URI and will be dosing them with ivermectin coinciding with her mite dosing.
How long should we keep her away from the other pigs--the full 10 days until antibiotics are done and her symptoms are gone? Thanks

User avatar

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:50 pm

Interactions: I am guessing she could be treated with ivermectin at the same time. I think there would be no interaction. Your vet could probably advise you. There may be contra-indications on the label but I think it unlikely.

Quarantine: The safest thing to do would be to quarantine her until she is done with her meds and well. Some people would assume your resident pigs had already been exposed and just put them together once treatment had started (example: at my daughter´s school, once you are on antibiotics for a day, they do not consider you contageous). It may be less stressful to be in a familiar environment with familiar pigs.

This is something else you could ask your vet -- or make your own decision. Good luck with your little pig. I hope she recovers quickly!
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:01 am

I don´t know about Ivermectin but when I had a couple of pigs sick with URIs my vet wanted to wait until they were better before treating them for lice with Advantage. I guess it depends how bad the mite infestation is. With my pigs my vet didn´t want to overload them with systemic drugs while their immune systems were compromised.

With an extremely bad infestation, it might be a different story.

Maybe Josephine knows for sure?

Post Reply
3 posts • Page 1 of 1