Wheezing sound - help

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:21 am

My 5 month old guinea pig (Mo) is making a wheezing sound when he breathes. It sounds like it´s coming from his chest area and not his nose. He has done it off and on since I got him from a pet store 2 1/2 months ago. Today it´s particularly bad.

Could this be an Upper Respiratory Infection? Are they curable? What should I tell my vet to give him?

Please help.

Shelly

pinta

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:57 pm

What should I tell my vet to give him?

Bactrim. He´s sort of on the cusp line for Baytril (over 6 years old is recommended)

Could be a URI. Could be allergies. He should get his chest listened to by the vet.

A long shot is that it is heart simply because he has done this on and off since you got him. Lasix and Enacard(Fortekor) are meds for pigs with heart disease. Seansfamily´s Sean was diagnosed with heart disease at 4 months I think and lived til almost 5 (I think). Could also be asthma. Terbutaline is a good med for that.

If the Bactrim doesn´t clear it up and you´ve ruled out bedding allergies then it´s time to explore other causes such as heart or asthma.

Christal

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:04 pm

Hi,
That sounds like my Oliver. You can see my thread "Please say a prayer....."
Here is my short version. Oliver is 6 and a half months old and has been making Hooting noises for about 2 months. I call them hooting noises since when he does them he sounds like and owl. It started out as an early morning thing but I noticed that it happens at varying points int he day less frequently. It goes away with a good sneeze or cough. Oliver also sneezes and rubs his noise quite a bit. He has been to the vet several times for the problem. The vet also took X-Rays. We still cannot figure out what it is going on.

It sure is a puzzle.
I hope you have better luck!
Christal :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:03 pm

If it happens only for a short period of time and goes away, it could be a temporary throat obstruction.

If you see the vet, I hope your pet makes the noise so he is able to figure out what is going on.