Please Help, nothing coming out of Piggie

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:11 pm

The Critical Care has probiotics in it. Up to you if you feel like adding acidophilous also (it will not be harmful -- you would only be using part of a capsule). Perhaps 20-30mg of C might help. You can quarter a 100mg pill or use drops from a health food store. If he eats lots of the critical care, that will help supply extra C too.

I am so glad things are looking up. Food is vital. I am actually shocked that your vet would not discuss hand feeding with you. If an animal is not eating, it is not going to recover without intervention.

One of the benefits of an illness like this is often a closer bonding between pet and owner. I hope your guy recovers soon and is sweeter than ever.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purrie

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:26 am

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/threa ... &styleid=1

This thread has "recipes" people have used to get Critical Care into their pigs. Hope it helps and Oreo continues to improve.

Becky

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:19 am

You don´t mention how old Oreo is. 628 is pretty little.

I´m wondering about the amount of critical care he´s getting. Look on the package. I think it says something like 24cc´s / kg. If he´s still not eating much, you might want to give him more than 5cc´s. Is he eating his hay?

Good to hear he´s doing better.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:40 am

When I hand feed adult pigs the critical care, I shoot for 9 cc´s at each feeding, 3-4 times a day. So somewhere between 27and 36 cc´s a day. It has tons of good things in it, and also has ingredients to help ward off dehydration. Also, since it´s full of fiber, lots of pigs drink more on it.
with the much younger pigs, I try and get 6 cc´s in them at a sitting, and fed more often. If they are eating it willingly, then as much as they want.
I think you need 60 cc´s of fluid a day to maintain, so if he is not drinking much, you may need to supplement with a daily subcue. Hydrated pigs are more energetic, and usually eat more.

Oreo

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:48 pm

Thanks for the link about CC. He is loving it with just water, but we may try those to put more nutrients in him.

Oreo is 2 years old. He was always a little guy, but we are working on getting some weight on him. We have gotten 8cc´s CC already this morning, so hopefully we can get >16 more into him by midnight. We feed him for ~45 min. until he starts spitting it out. Same thing with the water.

We just got done feeding him and while petting him afterwards he was giving some happy squeeks, which we haven´t heard for several days. Stool is looking much better.

Things are looking good. Thank you for all of the advice, all of you may have saved our piggers.

Photo to follow!

Oreo

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:04 pm

Here is a pic from this morning...

SandraVE

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:18 pm

What a sweetie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:14 pm

What a doll! I sure hope he is over the worst and recovering. Sounds very promising.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:59 pm

Oh! He´s a Dalmatian!

I know you want to be gentle, but you really have to be firm when you hand feed. If the pig spits it out, I´m guessing you don´t push the syringe far enough at the back of his mouth. And he shouldn´t have the choice to take it or not. As long as he´s doing a chewing motion when you push food in his mouth, he´s swollowing.

You seem to be on the right path, but you need to put more food in him. it´s not called "force feeding" for nothing...