piggie not eating enough hay

cavytopia

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:41 am

When we had taken Squeaky in to the vet a few weeks back for a URI (which has since cleared up) she also checked his teeth because we told her he had been eating slow. She used a special light attachment to check his back teeth and told us that they were wearing down. She said they are supposed to be angled like \ / but were starting to angle like / \ and that eventually we might have to have them grinded.

Just within the past few days Squeaky continues to eat slow. He has been eating most of his foods regularly except for his hay. He still eats his pellets just as before. He eats his greens (kale, collard greens, baby spinich, romaine lettuce) and baby carrots. He eats the soft part of the apple but leaves the skin.

However, when I go to fill up his hay rack Squeaky hasn´t finished his hay. Our other guinea pig, Tiny, eats his hay greedily and I have to fill his rack up 2-3 times a day. It seems to be taking Sqeaky 2 days to eat the hay in his hay rack.

I plan to call the vet on Tuesday and tell her my concerns. Does it sound like that Squeaky might have to have his back teeth ground down?
Last edited by cavytopia on Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:07 pm

Offer some nice tender fresh, clean grass. It is just as abrasive as hay, if not more so. Read the page on malocclusion (see index Guinea Lynx). Weigh your pig and watch more.

Teeth problems can be very complicated. If it is obvious there are problems, I´d get him a thorough exam, check for teeth abscesses etc.

Good luck. Let us know how things progress.

cavytopia

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:31 pm

I read the page on malocclusion and think that it´s Squeaky´s back teeth rather than his front teeth that he´s having trouble with -- the visit to the vet seemed to indicate this too. We have scales and have been weighing our piggies and writing it down on an irregular basis but will weigh them more regularly and monitor Squeaky´s weigh especially.

I´ve read (perhaps in other topics on this board) that grass is supposed to be good for piggies and will offer some to Squeaky. However, we have a Beagle who runs around in our yard (and of course potties in the yard) so I know that I will have to be careful to find an area of the grass where the dog has not been -- perhaps under a bush or tree. I´m heading outside now to grab him a handful of grass. Thanks!

cavytopia

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:37 pm

A quick reply to update -- just went outside and picked a handful of grass for Squeaky (got it at the edge of a pine tree where our dog doesn´t potty). As soon as I put it into Squeaky´s veggie bowl he started gobbling it up! He seems to love it! Tiny saw me give some to Squeaky and started wheeking very loudly! So I guess I´m headed back outside to pick my boys some more grass! Thanks, lynx.
Last edited by cavytopia on Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavytopia

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:18 pm

An update:
Both Squeaky and Tiny love the grass! And today, Squeaky had eaten all the hay in his hay rack!