ovarian cyst and bladder stone removal surgery at same time

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:21 pm

Sounds like things are rough, Julian. Some illnesses are simple and others require us to fight the only way we know how. This wouldn´t be any fun for their owner either but it sounds like you are doing the best you can.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:29 pm

Julian-
Has osteopetrosis been rules out? I´m pretty sure that´s what Pinta is thinking.

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:32 pm

Red Satin Crest. A shelter dump we thought just had scurvy. Surprise Surprise.

I´d be willing to bet your satin has osteopetrosis. Ask your vet to check into the VIN forums. My vet has posted about my sow with that condition. Sadly we lost Shiraz (a satin)a few weeks ago but not to the osteopetrosis. Pleurisy(sp?), pneumonia, URI. Despite intensive drug therapy she faded away after appearing to get better. We believe the osteopetrosis affected her immune system. My vet is having a full autopsy done (takes forever for the final results) but so far she had heart disease, definitely osteopetrosis, collapsed lung, pleurisy...She did NOT have hyperthryroidism. Still waiting for the results from the parathyroid.

After several weeks of intensive dosing with calcium lactate a body xray showed the clubbing had been arrested and the bones had filled in. She was gaining weight and had a great prognosis until the URI happened. She simply couldn´t fight it off.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:39 pm

That´s what my vet thought too and had me start the calcium supplementation after he didn´t come around with the C. His initial calcium count was not low but we decided to go ahead and try it anyway as his liver and kidneys were okay.

Hopefully, we´ll know more tomarrow. He eats plenty of hay and fresh grass so he still wants to live.

I´m sorry about Shiraz. You really did move heaven and earth to help her.

My vet has asked for the body of this and the cancer pig when it is time. I hope it is not too soon.

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:51 pm

Shiraz was on Tapazole for suspected hyperthyroidism early on. She stopped losing weight and seemd to stabilize and improve. She was taken off it just before being diagnosed with osteopetrosis because it was no longer having an effect. My vet doesn´t know if hyperthyroidism can be reversed in pigs. Seems unlikely but so little is known about them medically you can´t rule anything out.

She exhibited classic signs of hyperthyroidism. Frenetic activity and voracious appetite while still losing weight. Good coat of fur. T-4 count supported the "diagnosis".

Could be worth checking your satin´s T-4 count. Hyperthyroidism may be intertwined with osteopetrosis in some way.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:10 pm

I´d guess that he would be hypo-thyroid. Pretty passive. His coat is still good although it has lost a bit of its luster. He still has the hopping motion in his hind end. It´s his time to get some intensive testing done. Probably worth testing for.

At this point, it´s anyones guess.