Hind end/back injury

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:26 am

Trevor came home last night and is doing relatively good this morning. He's eating hay and lettuce, but not drinking on his own that I've seen. He's pooping and urinating, but seems to be having pain upon urination still. Is this normal after this kind of surgery?

The vet was gone by the time I got there last night so I was unable to ask him any questions. They left one woman there, a receptionist, and no notes for her. It was a bit disappointing. I'll be calling first thing this morning with my list of questions.

Thanks for everyone's help and support!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:26 am

Is he on pain medication? Don't know how normal it is. Just weigh him and make sure it doesn't interfere with his appetite. Good luck.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:04 am

I would think the incision in his bladder would hurt, if nothing else. He also might still be sore from the stones and/or he might have a UTI as well.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:48 am

I would think the pain is normal and he should be given something for it.
If there's blood in his urine and it continues for more than a day I'd be concerned. That happened to a friends pig and it turned out he had a damaged urethra. Surgery to repair it did not have a good outcome.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:11 am

Because he was given the shot of depomedrol last Monday and it's supposed to stay in his system for 4 weeks, the only pain med I would be able to give him would be Valium. I'm nervous about doing this because of the sedative effects and possible GIT side effects. The vet doesn't know what else to give him either, unfortunately.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:57 am

Well, perhaps he just needs time to heal. After all, he just had the surgery. Hopefully he'll continue to eat on his own. I wouldn't worry about the not drinking unless it continues. You could syringe him some water and see if he'll take it.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:35 am

There is no more blood in Trevor's urine. There was no blood at all in his cage when I got home yesterday afternoon and none through the night so that's encouraging. He's still crying about every other time he urinates, but apparently that's normal and will continue until he heals a bit more.

He is becoming extremely active! He keeps trying to run across my bed where before he would just sit there. It's very cute! He is still dragging his feet for the most part, but has moments where he can pull them up and jump a bit. I'm very excited about this.

His incision looks great and he's not fiddling with anything. He started eating pellets this morning too. Still eating hay and a bit of veg, although not drinking as much as I would like. I'm also still supplementing with Critical Care and syringing water.

I'm concerned with giving him sub qs. He is so jumpy and moves so quickly, I'm having a very difficult time. I have stabbed myself twice and go through two needles each session because I try to poke him so many times I'm worried about the needles going dull.

Added to the mix is my fear that I'm going to really hurt his back if I hold him too hard. He flails about like a bucking bronco! If I hold his head, his back end flails about and I'm so scared of him injuring himself further.

Any tips on how to hold him down with only two hands? I've tried wrapping him but I'm not having much luck.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:54 am

I have no tips but wanted to say congrats on Trevor so far. Hope he continues to heal well.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am

I say can the subq's if the vet agrees it's okay. Why put him through the stress if it isn't necessary.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:37 am

If he's prone to stones, subcues could help prevent another surgery.

I use my wrist to hold the pig against my abdomen and with the same hand grab some skin which I pull up. Sometimes they keep turning to one direction. If that happens I let them face whichever way they want and put the needle in towards the back end. It's easier to hold the pig towards you by using your wrist.

I stick the needle in the flap of skin with the beveled surface facing up. Sometimes I really have to push before it goes in while securing the pig with my other hand.

It just takes practise.

You need to rotate the injection sites. I do right flank, right shoulder, left shoulder, left flank. There is no reason to aim directly at the back.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:38 am

oh and needles can be used 3 times (sterilizing in between). So don't worry about jabbing twice.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:04 pm

How is Trevor doing?