Hind end/back injury

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:44 pm

Sorry for your loss :(

diodora

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:50 pm

I'm sorry you lost your favorite, every pig is the most wonderful and most special, but its so sad to lose a favorite.

Cooper

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:59 pm

I can appreciate what you are going through, having lost a pig myself. Our current piggy Cooper is recooperating from a fall and Trevor's story was truly inspiring to us. I am so sorry for your loss. As someone else has said, remember that he was able to experience all the love you had for him, especially all the recent TLC he needed. Every piggy should be so lucky to have an owner like you.

lisam

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:59 pm

I'm so sorry.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Sleep well Trevor, you were very loved.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:55 pm

I am so very sorry, AliceMcmallis. I so wish this had not happened. I know you will miss him greatly.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:05 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him. He was well loved and you did good things for him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:33 pm

Alice, I'm so very sorry. Know that he knows how much he is loved. What you learned from loving him and caring for him will benefit many others, too.

There may be a connection between digestive problems and mobility problems. I certainly don't know for sure, but please do let us know what the necropsy results show.

Thinking of you and Trevor today. Godspeed and safe passage, little one. Run like the wind now, whole and healthy, and eat everything that is delicious.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Trevor. I hope the necropsy gives you some answers. He was a great little guy, and you made his life so happy.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:03 am

I saw the vet last night and we discussed her findings. It is horrible. She said his stomach exploded. He was screaming and screaming, and now I know why. I knew he was in pain, but now that I look back I can tell the moment that it happened. He trusted me so much, he looked to me for everything in his life and I failed him at the worst possible time. I was so happy that I was going to get him back from the vet so I could say goodbye and pet him and kiss his forehead one last time. Now I can't bear to look at him because I feel so guilty.

She said this would usually happen if he had a blockage or torsion of his intestines but couldn't find any evidence of either of these things. I think it's just because he got so much gas and couldn't get it out, but we still don't know why he got that gas in the first place.

He had grass for the first time on Saturday, but the vet did not think it would have affected him so severely so many days after (it would have been three days after he ate the grass that he got gas). So now we'll wait and see what the lab person finds from all the samples. I'm not expecting much though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:35 am

How horrible. I get chills thinking of him. Grill your vet to find out if there is anything any of us could do in a similar situation and how she would have handled this. Bloat can be so terribly deadly. I hope you get some answers regarding why this happened.

I feel so badly for you. This was such a tragedy.

All I can say is it is wrong to blame yourself for this. Sometimes things go wrong, we may not understand how much of an emergency it is at first -- it may seem we didn't move quickly enough -- it is only in hindsight the emergency seems clear -- and treatments may not come quickly enough. The vet arriving late didn't help either. I am so sorry.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:44 am

I started giving him simethicone, force feeding him, massaging his belly and put him on a heating pad. I gave him some metacam too. Through the night he pooped about 20 normal poos, peed a few times normally, but the gas got worse and worse.
You're being too hard on yourself. You did what you could as soon as you saw he was in distress. We all do the best we can with what we know. Sometimes what's going on inside is not noticeable. I know from experience they can have something deadly going on in the inside while they look fine...eating and drinking, etc. You saw something was wrong and took action asap.

I'm sorry about the outcome and it is very tragic and sad. I know how you feel.