Hind end/back injury

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:10 pm

Wow! I've been enjoying reading about Trevor - hope things continue to go well.

Is that a Trevor Trailer?! Tram? Train?!

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:59 pm

Glad to hear Trevor is doing so well! You are doing such a great job with him.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:12 pm

That's so great. Maybe we can post Trevor on pinta's Roxy Roller thread in reference. What a cute little guy. I hope his feet get better. He has so many problems, and is incredibly lucky that you found him.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:29 pm

Hey, cool! I should add a link to this thread from Pinta's thread (no time right now) [edit, maybe you wanna do it, Snowflakey?]. Okay with you if I save the pics to the forum?

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:43 pm

Of course it's okay Lynx, thanks!

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:50 pm

Looks great!!! Your dad did an excellent job. How many martinis did his cart require?

Trevor was probably over the moon when he could move again. All you need is a slippery covering to cut the friction. Roxy's wheels were more tucked in (more tippy) but that was because of all the obstacles she needed to maneuvre around.

You could try Band-Aid Advanced Healing gel bandages on his front feet but my fear is that covering his pads would compromise his mobility. They cannot be used on feet with open sores because they stay on til they fall off but they do a good job of preventing sores erupting.

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Lynx, Trevor's pics should go right on Roxy's thread because they show another version of a cart that works. Less daunting for people to try and make if they can see variations will work.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:33 pm

I love it! Trevor Trailor to go with Roxy Roller.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:01 pm

Can you take a couple of pics with no pig to illustrate how you did it?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Sorry to be so late responding.... my job interfered with the important work I do here. I think having the pictures right in the thread are going to be great. Keep us updated!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:26 am

Okay, I got the pics cropped (removed white space) and uploaded. Thanks AliceM! In rereading this thread, it is hard to see the rough time poor Trevor has had. Mites, paralysis, stones, man -- he has really come a long way. Still has healing to do from the recent surgery. I truly hope he gains some ability to move around on his own and that the cart helps him.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:43 am

Just read the additions to Roxy Roller/Trevor Trailer. As I was reading the instructions, I thought it might be useful to have pictures of the component parts before assembly (but cut into their proper shapes). If I ever needed to build one, that would help me visualize it better. The martinis I had no problem visualizing.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:09 am

I will see if my dad has saved the templates he used before actually cutting up the harness material, those may be useful too. I will try to get more pictures taken of just the cart asap.

I moved Trevor last night to a "big" cage. I would still like to limit his movement somewhat as he's steal healing not only from the surgery but from the original injury. So he's in a 1X2 divided section of Paul's cage, on a fleece blanket (courtesy of Vanessa) with extra towels for foot comfort. He looks so small in there!

Alas, my father is not a martini drinker. He may have consumed a few beers though, will have to confirm.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:11 pm

Yes, the poor guy is still recovering. He needs to take it easy for now. Good to get him off the ground though.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:13 pm

my job interfered with the important work I do here.

<chuckle>

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:17 pm

Hopefully the additional mobility will help his front feet. Increased circulation should help bumblefoot.

You are doing an *awesome* job with and for him. Kudos to you, and your dad too.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:18 am

Okay, an update about Trevor. His bumblefoot problem is almost completely gone, he's just got a bit of a scab on his front left foot, no redness, no swelling. I didn't do anything other than increase his cage size and take him out in the cart more frequently.

He is continuing to become more mobile as the days go on. The only problem he seems to have at this point is with his left hind foot. It's still a bit wobbly and he tips over from time to time.

He has started rumblestrutting at Paul, which is freaking hilarious to watch. Paul is rather indifferent. Am I allowed to start introducing them at this point? I am hoping they will end up being cage mates (Trevor was supposed to be adopted out if he made a full recovery, HA!). Paul was living with Chloe (rather unhappily), but when Juliet passed away I had to do some rearranging and she is now with Franklin. So Paul has been alone for a little while and I would love for him to have a buddy.

I haven't been able to manage getting pictures taken of the cart and templates alone, hopefully that will get done this weekend.

Unfortunately, the vet's office forgot to send his stone sample off for analysis, so that didn't get done until I questioned them on Monday. Hopefully we will get those results soon!

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:03 pm

Just got back the results from Trevor's stone analysis. The stones were calcium oxylate.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:52 pm

That is so encouraging (the feet, the getting around). He sounds like a character too. I understand most stones are calcium oxalate.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:50 pm

Just wanted to update again about Trevor. :) He is now living happily with my skinny pig Paul and they're getting along like a house on fire, they just love each other. Trevor has recently discovered Paul's snuggle and was very curious. He now sleeps ON the snuggle, much to Paul's dismay. I will have to add a second one tonight. ;)

Trevor is in perfect working order at this point. I don't think he needs the cart anymore as he's able to run around at top speed with no wobblyness at all.

I have been in discussion with my vet about finding a source for polycitra. We're going to call the Shopper's Drug Mart in town to find out if they carry that or potassium citrate.

He isn't gaining as much weight as I'd hoped. Could this have something to do with the fact that I've switched him over almost completely to timothy pellets?

140 posts