Blood In Urine.........calcium bladder stone removed

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:38 pm

Hi there,
I post on the acmepet gp board so some of you may know me from there.
We have a rescue pig that is approx. 5 years old. His history is unknown, his name is Chester and he is a red teddy. I´ve posted this on the acmepet board already but I´ll give you guys the scoop so far.
Chester had surgery about 2 weeks ago to remove a calcium bladder stone about the size of a small piece of rice and the vet clean out the bladder area and the urethera (sp??) and Chester has healed well. He shares his cage with another male and they get along fine. His incision has healed and he was also on baytril in case of any infection setting in. His appetite is good, water intake is good, his is very mobile and the blood had disappeared in his urine. On Saturday evening the blood has reappeared in his urine a fair bit. His fur looks a little bit scruffy (even for a teddy) but his appetite, water, mobility and everything else seems ok. Our exotics vet is checking into this more and right now I´ve restarted the baytril. The type of bladder stones are the re-occurring ones but the vet said they should not re-occur in 2 weeks time and he cleaned it out really well (unless he has missed one). We have an excellent exotics vet that we have been seeing for 8 years.
Has anyone else ever encountered this problem??? Please let me know. Thanks. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:54 pm

You may want to read the bladder stone archives. It is a mail list. Some people have had recurring bladderstones. You can find it at:

http://gpigs-database.org/mailman/listi ... tabase.org

I don´t know exactly how long your pig was on baytril, but I understand things like urinary tract infections, can take several weeks of antibiotics to clear up as it is a sensitive area. You might want to sign up for this list and see what people´s experience has been -- read as many of the archives as you can before posting.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:02 pm