Are we pregnant?

SpottyPoo

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:15 am

By no means is this an emergency, but a medical question just the same...

My 6 month old female is acting strangely. She is shedding so much that we could make another pig out of what she is leaving behind. A once very friendly, very tolerant pig, she is now snippy and short-tempered - she actually bit me yesterday. And her appetite? Sheesh...I can´t give her enough veggies and she eats them so fast, they´re gone in just a few seconds.

Her best buddy is a male, same age, and they live together. (No yelling here, please...) I want them to have babies together. However, the male is very timid and doesn´t seem to know how to get that done, at least has not been interested toward her aggressive advances (she wears the pants between them you see). Of course, the deed could have been done when I wasn´t around - I think I remember smelling cigarette smoke one morning.

Sooooo...all you piggy parents and grandparents who have experience with pregnant piggins please give me your expertise and advice. What are some of the signs that they are pregnant? All is appreciated!!

Susan, yet another guinea pig slave

lisam

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:20 am

It sounds as though your pig has mites. They both probably need a bout of ivermectin. You can have your vet do it, or do it yourself. Click on Guinealynx and you will find information on how to do it yourself.

SpottyPoo

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:34 am

I don´t think so -- she has had mites before and this is nothing like that. She´s not loosing chunks of hair and there are no "flaky scabs" on her ears, and she´s not scratching. Just being moody, keeping to herself and shedding hair evenly.

Anybody else out there know anything about pregnant pigs??

lisam

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:55 am

The pregnant pigs I have had in the past showed no personality changes whatsoever. I could tell they were pregnant when I could feel the babies moving late in the pregnancy.

Your pigs could have bred without you noticing, it only takes a second.

You wrote
"A once very friendly, very tolerant pig, she is now snippy and short-tempered - she actually bit me yesterday." This is classic mite behavior. That is why I suggested it. Pigs with mites don´t always lose big patches of hair or have flaky scabs or flaky skin. Mites can lie dormant in a pig, and "flare up" during times of stress. Pregnancy could certainly be considered a stress to the body.

sjj92

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:46 am

Well this might sound funny but when my piggie was pregnant her ears got bigger. Oh and around her tummy near her bottom she felt like a water balloon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:56 pm

Take Lisam´s advice. You are not getting any other advice because we would all be saying the same thing.

These are classic mite symptoms. Treat all your pigs for mites with ivermectin.

Becky

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:18 pm

(No yelling here, please...) I want them to have babies together.

You may have come to the wrong place if you don´t want to hear yelling. Too many of us have been dealing with way too many homeless pigs lately.

It really is difficult to understand why you would breed your pets when there are so many wonderful pigs going without loving homes or being put to sleep in shelters.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:24 pm

Not to mention the risk you would be exposing your pet to. Guinea pig pregnancies don´t always go well. Know that you could lose not only one or more of the pups but the mother as well.

There are alot of sad stories.

Yes, Becky is right. You may have come to the wrong place if you want any help regarding breeding your pigs.

SpottyPoo

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:10 am

Yes, I am fully aware of all the risks involved with pig pregnancy. Thank you for all your friendly advice.

Cara

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:04 pm

Are you going to have your pig treated for mites?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:29 pm

Good God! After this summer I can´t "stomach" this!

PLEASE look for good reference material and good luck.

Now post on another forum.

Ms. Evil Kara

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:26 am

Someone might want to direct SpottyPoo to the Hollister rescue info, the Monterey Rescue info, the Arizona rescue info so that she can see why intentionally breeding when people have volunteered their summer to try and rehome a few hundred unwanted guinea pigs is such a sore point.

Maybe the thread where Maaa almost died giving birth(probably contributed to her recent death).

Maybe the thread where I killed my Hazel by breeding her.

Most info is at Teresa´s site that hates my browser so I can´t gather the URLs.

Sometimes people just don´t know.