Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:58 pm

Deuce had one sharp tooth that the vet filed today. The vet doesn't feel that teeth are the issue, he thinks that inflammation and discomfort from the primary disease process are causing the anorexia. Apparently at the vets office, after the tooth filing and some metacam, Deuce drank water from a bowl and ate greens. I haven't seen the same at home. We have Metacam to dose at home. No more Lasix.

We're exhausted and frustrated. I've read the handfeeding page, and its possible I'm just burned out, I didn't see the reference to how much at each feeding. We're going to continue to handfeed even if he does munch a little on his own. I'm worried about his fiber intake and his weight loss. I don't know how much is from the Lasix, and how much is from the lack of eating, but overall Deuce has lost 150 grams. 50 of those grams have been since Friday.

One to two ounces.

Oxbow is closed for today. How much is an order of Critical Care? Is pellet mash sufficent?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:21 pm

Critical Care is +-$26.00 for a 1-lb. canister, +-$9.xx for a 5-oz. packet. Shipping adds quite a bit but the stuff is at least lightweight.

The stringy stuff can be a sign of dehydration. Did they give him a subcue at the vet's?

Try carrot baby food to mix with the pellet mash. It's creamier and sometimes more palatable.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:59 pm

I've got a call in to the vet to ask about the sub-cue. Waiting for a return call.

I just hand fed him and got him to gain 1.5 ounces. That's an uphill battle. I think I will be better about it next time. Its effeciency based, I suppose. Head grab, pinch, tilt, syringe. Pause, repeat. I feel like I'm torturing him.

I just don't understand why he isn't eating. His poops haven't been stringy since. There are several in his sac that are formed, but very sticky.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:33 pm

Pellet mash will also do. I can hear your frustration. Sick pigs are work and worry -- so very hard when it doesn't look like you're getting to the bottom of the problem.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:44 pm

Deuce died today.

In Loving Tribute

www.froghyde.com

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:59 pm

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry. I know how hard you worked and how much you cared for him. I'm just so sorry.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:26 am

Thank you, Lynx. Thank you for what you do. I think everyone on this board contributed to his care this past month. Thank you.

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 am

I'm so sorry. It always hurts and never seems fair.

Is the vet willing to do a necropsy?

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:09 am

After Deuce passed away, Dr. Cecile (Deuce's DVM) politely asked if we wanted a necropsy performed.

Necropsy stated renal failure as cause of death. Advanced disease in both kidneys. Gross edema in body tissues. Conjestion in lungs (Final hours). Heart and adrenial glands normal.

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:14 am

At least you have closure. There was nothing you could have done beyond what you were doing.

You probably gave him extra time he never would have had with another owner.

lisam

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:22 am

I'm so sorry.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Ok, I'm ready to tell the full story. My Fiance posted last night about the necropsy and made a beautiful slideshow of pictures on his homepage. I feel its appropriate to share his last hours here, with you, because so much of his life was also on here in the past month.

Tuesday morning Deuce was very weak and would not lift his head. He made an occasional movement, when we would offer him water in a syringe. He would accept it, but only for a sip, then he would get tired again.

He spent some time cuddling with Smack. He spent lots of time cuddling with us. Then he began to get cold and wheeze when he breathed. We wanted to keep him at home, but after several hours we decided that it was our duty to make sure he didn't suffer.

Deuce was to be gassed to sleep, then given the injection. His heart stopped from the anesthesia. It was very quiet and he made two final gasps. His heart had already stopped, and I believe this was his spirit escaping. I know the scientific term for those last breaths, but choose to believe there is a dual meaning.

I spent a long time crying in the room with his sweet, quiet body. The vet offered to perform a necropsy and be finished tomorrow. I couldn't stand to leave Deuce there and do this whole thing tomorrow for a burial. The vet performed the necropsy within 30 minutes for us and returned Deuce almost immediately. We didn't even leave the office.

Necropsy results stated correctly above. Both kidneys were pitted and concave. The vet advised that one kidney, operating at 50% could have operated well enough to account for the near normal blood panel several weeks ago.

The hair loss and change in skin pigmentation he attributed to lack of protein regulation which the kidneys contribute to. Also, the edema was probably caused by a problem with albunem *sp that allowed his plasma to leak into his tissues. Even though we were keeping him hydrated, he couldn't hold onto the fluid in his blood.

Also, stress could have been a factor in the hair loss.

There was no blockage, so the vet believes Deuce was not in pain. Renal failure causes a build up of uric acid which is a depresant on the brain. He simply got more and more tired as his kidneys failed to take the posion from his blood.

Without Deuce, we would not know how sweet guinea pigs could be. We would not know how much love they can give, or how much they enjoy receiving love. Without Deuce, we would not have found cavycages and then guinealynx. Without Deuce, our remaining guinea pig Smack, and our next guinea pig (whereever he is) would not be receiving the absolute best of care for the rest of their natural lives. I believe that Deuce was on Earth to teach us a number of things, and when he'd finished he was called home for a well deserved rest.

Thank you, Deuce, for sharing your life with us. We were blessed for those 3 years, and we continue to be blessed because of the memories and lessons you've left behind. I love you.