Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:28 pm

You narrowed your options but I am still somewhat confused about precisely what is going on at this point in time. I reread the thread and it seems to have wandered quite a bit.

Started with a single weepy eye? You waited, ended up being a snotty nose, definite uri. Treated with bactrim. Pinta recommends a change in antibiotics -- I think this is a good idea if you are still seeing problems. It's still possible the weeping is related to the uri. So is this pig eating or not? If eating fine, that means it's less likely a tooth problem is present. Read Pinta's tips for malocclusion on www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

I am not sure I understand the current problem but might go with 4 and make sure he gets a new antibiotic too. And continue with the opthalmic ointment.

pinta

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:17 pm

Is molar planning the same as filing?

yes

Does the guinea pig need to go under anesthesia each time?

to do a proper job, yes.

How does this monthly surgery affect an older guinea pig?

If he doesn't have any heart issues, there shouldn't be a problem.

Is the treatment for elongated roots the same as for overgrown molars?

no, the molars need to be planed shorter than usual to compensate for the elongated roots.

dribble

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:39 am

When I read through the thread I also wondered about elongated roots. A couple of people here have had pigs whose eyes watered and finally discovered it was a result of the root pressing on the eyeball.
Here's one thread regarding teeth, heart problems and hair loss. Here's one about a weepy eye. I couldn't tell you if it applies to your little pig, but the threads contain a lot of really good information.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:19 am

Lynx,

I am sorry for the confusion. It does seem like everything is happening to this pig at once.

You have everything straight through the URI. The nose cleared, but the eyes have not.

The guinea pig is eating, but he is choosey about what veggies he likes. I don't think he is eating much of the high vit. C peppers, so I worry that's he's not getting enough Vit. C. However, he is eating most other things without a problem, and gained 10g.

Then, the vet tells me on the follow up visit that Deuce has a strange body type, and she doesn't know what to think of it. She doesn't know if its swelling, or water weight, or if he's just strangely fat. He's been that way most of his adult life, so I don't think it has anything to do with the illness. The vet suggested it might be a congenital/genetic problem.

On Tuesday, we found he had an impaction and cleared it.

Then, two days ago, he mysteriously starts getting bald patches. He has a new one tonight.

I don't know what is related, what is random, or what to think. I don't know what is a symptom and what is an underlying problem.

I think what I am going to do is take him to the vet he's been seeing, ask for dental x-rays, and ask for both pigs to be treated for mites. I can't explain the bald patches, but perhaps he's having a flare up of mites because of being ill. Is this possible? Its been about 2 1/2 years since he had mange mites.

I'm unable to use the threads you linked to, Dribble, but I would very much like to read them.

Thank you all for your patience. Sorry about the long confusing trip.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:39 am

I would not worry about body type. I think it is unrelated to whatever is going on. Each pig is different.

I fixed Dribbles links (I think).

Read also:
www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:08 pm

Ok. I'm going to the Avian and Exotics that was recommended. Thank you very much. I hope they have an appointment soon. Where in San Diego can I purchase Ivermectin? And I noticed that the website recommends seeing a vet for dosage. Is this the best option? Or should I purchase some and start right away?

Dr. Cote refuses to give me a price list. Her staff will not give me a minimum price on x-rays, molar planing, nothing. But she obviously knows that she wants $90 for bloodwork to look for kidney or liver issues. So, I suppose she does have a price list that she just not willing to publish or share with me.

Also, she says she will not prescribe treatment for mites until they show up on a skin scraping. Which, from all the information here, is bunk. The skin scraping can provide a false negative.

I'm very glad that I didn't let her try and draw blood from my pig. Besides the fact that I used to work in a medical lab, and $90 for a liver panel and uric acid test is ridiculous. Not to mention the $39 for her to dig around my pig and try to draw from the jugular which "It looks like I might have a hard time getting."

Its so frustrating to have this much trouble finding a professional to trust. Above and beyond everything else, my pig could have been getting better treatment 3 weeks ago.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:44 pm

Don't call it a price list. Just ask for the cost of the possible services you may require. They should be willing to provide you with this information.

Yes, a skin scraping can be a waste of time and painful.

I wish you luck. Up to you if you want to treat yourself. www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html
valleyvet is a cheap place online to get ivermectin (if I remember right). I don't know how well people read directions so it is always safest to recommend that a vet treat them, though many people will do it themselves.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 pm

Ok, my Fiance finally pinned Dr. Cote down on some prices.

She wants $38, each pig, for another exam.
$30 each pig for a skin scraping
and $30, each shot, each pig, to treat for mites. This would be a three part treatment over two weeks.

So, in total, she wants $316 to treat for mites.

Does this sound reasonable to anyone?

Also, I've finally finished reading the threads Dribbles referenced. Deuce is starting to loss hair on both sides of his rump. It is bald, pink skin in good conditon. He lost one side on Wednesday, and the other yesterday. Could this be the same "bi-lateral" hair loss as the heart pig? Witherspoon did have many of the symptoms Deuce has. Hair loss, impaction, suspected URI, weeping eyes, slightly overgrown teeth.

Thanks again for everyones patience. I am gonig to try and get an appointment with the new vet. I just don't know what to ask for when I am there.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:49 pm

No. It is not reasonable for mite treatment. See the topical ivermectin treatment page link I provided above.

If it were me, I would pay for other diagnostics, not the mite treatment.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Ok. Thank you. This is starting to form into a much clearer plan of action.

I will order the mite treatment from ValleyVet.

I understand about referring to a vet. We will carefully follow the instructions. At what point in treatment should I disinfect the cage?

I will monitor Deuce's weight and eating to head off any tooth problems, and pray that there isn't a heart problem.

As long as he is maintaining weight and eating well, are they any other diagnostics you recommend?

Thank you for all of your time. Everyone here is so truely devoted to helping others.

dribble

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:33 pm

I posted search result links, not regular ones. My bad. Sorry 'bout that.

Can you post a picture of your pig? I'm curious about that "body type" comment.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:54 pm

Mites don't live off the host, so you don't need to "disinfect" the cage. A good thorough cleaning after the 2nd dosing would probably be enough, just to be emotionally clean!