new to the board

Kacee

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:34 am

I´m a newby too with 5 GPs. Kack, 3 1-2 years old, has a malocclusion problem as the result of an abscess that took forever to heal. The vet finally cut it out when his teeth went out of whack. The vet has trimmed his teeth several times (and is there as I write this for that purpose). Is there a place to get the chinsling or is that a do it yourself item? BTW, glad I´m not the only one taking her GP to the vet on a regular basis. I´m sure most people think I am nuts!

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:07 am

Talk to pinta about the chinsling.

hotlips

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:14 am

Hi, I´m "Dr Hotlips´s" assistant. He has been relocated to Angel Memorial Hospital in Boston Massachusetts and will have very little time to participate in this forum. However, he has asked me to check in now and then in his absence. Also, said, I may learn something...

Dr. Hotlips has requested I post the following message:

"Since I posted the one message to this board on 10/9/02, I have received several personal email responses from various participants and/or visitors of the Guinea Lynx Emergency Medical Forum, solicifying my advice.

One of the topics, most significant, is the advice to see another vet. The medical profession, both animal and human, is very complex. Each vet, as each MD, has unique educational backgrounds and experiences. The persons that visit this forum are caring, cavy owners, some desperate for advice. Some have taken your advice to the "T" and changed Vets, only to find out that they had to start over with the new Vet, unfamiliar with the individual cavy´s needs. This can waste precious time. Any Vet, particularily those specializing in Exotics, care and are willing to work with the owners in developing the best course of treatment.

Every Cavy is unique and can require numerous "tweakings" in their medical treatments until the balance is met for that particular individual. One dosage for one cavy can be very different in another. They (the "charts) are only guidelines that should always be sculptured to the individual.

If you truly care about the Pigs and not the owners that visit your forum, please, be thoughtful of your possible audience and cautious of the advice you may be giving.

In closing, one of the persons that emailed me, was "Sunder". Sunder, the cavy, took a turn for the worse. The owner, who really respected your advice, and took it, changed vets, again for the 4th time. The anitbiotic dose was lowered and set Sunder back a week of recovery. I advised Sunder to return to the original Vet, whom by the way, is a very reputable and well-known Vet, who has been treating cavies for 30 years. The dosage of Cipro (which is well received by this cavy) 20mg every 12 hours is the highest dose suggested in the treatment of gram negatives. Sunder has a severe case of the gram negative and requires, as well as, accepts, the highest dose. Please, for the love of the cavies, be cautious in your advice.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:27 am

Solicifying? Hahahaha!

That´s not a word. Perhaps you meant ´soliciting´?

Also, it´s ´who, by the way, is a very...´ ´Whom´ is only used as an object. Subjects are always ´who´.

I see the reference information was never given. And how convenient that the "Doctor" has suddenly relocated.

leebee

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:38 am

It´s Angell Memorial, not Angel.

Very convienent, indeed.

Cara

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:47 am

Oh, hotlips, you´re a hoot.

"One of the topics, most significant, is the advice to see another vet. The medical profession, both animal and human, is very complex. Each vet, as each MD, has unique educational backgrounds and experiences. The persons that visit this forum are caring, cavy owners, some desperate for advice. Some have taken your advice to the "T" and changed Vets, only to find out that they had to start over with the new Vet, unfamiliar with the individual cavy´s needs. This can waste precious time. Any Vet, particularily those specializing in Exotics, care and are willing to work with the owners in developing the best course of treatment."

Right, so the advice givers should just sit by and let an unexperienced vet care for someone´s pig, is that what you´re saying? You the know kind who tell you to use peroxide for flushings, don´t properly or even think to inspect a pigs molars, give penecillin or any of its forms to pigs, improperly dose pigs, and the list goes on and on and on. My very cavy-smart vet knows these kinds of vet exists, that´s why she specializes in pigs.

"Every Cavy is unique and can require numerous "tweakings" in their medical treatments until the balance is met for that particular individual. One dosage for one cavy can be very different in another. They (the "charts) are only guidelines that should always be sculptured to the individual. "

Ya think? What do you think the good advice givers here have been telling people?

Ahh, your stupidity ---- where´s my sledgehammer?
Last edited by Cara on Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:49 am

I´m tired of this. Sunder, I´m very sorry if your cavy died. However, impersonating a DVM in this ridiculous way is not helping anyone.

Kacee

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:00 pm

Okay everybody, let´s play nice! :))

pigpal

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:03 pm

Kacee, I have no intention of "playing nice" on this forum. I tell it how it is.

There is a splendid forum called Cavies Galore if you wish to "play nice".
Last edited by pigpal on Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kacee

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:09 pm

Guess I´ll have to remember to wear my flack jacket when I visit then. :-)

pigpal

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:11 pm

A good idea. You are very welcome here, as is anyone who truly cares about guinea pigs, but don´t expect any punches to be pulled.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:23 pm

Oh good. The secret is out.

You see, Sunder, we´ve known all along that it was you. IP numbers don´t lie, and you, Dr.Hotlips, and the Assistant all have the same number. And we have yours. (See there, how I did that? Clever, eh?)

Now comes the fun part of her defense.

A flack jacket, Kacee? That´s a really good idea. As long as Pinta and Evangeline are here, I think we could all use one.